Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 150 Class Electric Helicopters

150 Class Electric Helicopters 150 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By GAANDAHL
  • 4 Post By Helithunder
  • 1 Post By RustyChain
  • 1 Post By Palm_Pilot
  • 3 Post By Beserkr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2021, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Opinions for beginners.

Hi guys,

Have a 200 srx which I’m not getting on with at all. Think I’ve taken the wrong path with it tbh.

I’m looking at a smaller heli that I will keep standard and been looking at the enclosed.

What is your opinions on this for a complete noob to learn on?

Will be binding my gen 2 dx6 to it if that will suffice.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6036E5C2-BFDD-4AEF-8605-35D8485792AE_1609708764708.png
Views:	59
Size:	762.3 KB
ID:	898151  
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2021, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

what I know today is that omp m2 I would have started with if I were a new beginner.
Trump is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2021, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 150s and am low-skill, although not a newbie. The 150s is a good choice for a beginning pilot if you have an adequate space to fly it. It is ok as a yardbird, but more space will help you learn more quickly. I don't use "stability mode" but when that mode is selected it is extremely stable and easy for beginners to fly. When you are comfortable though, fly without stability mode but with reduced throws.
PassinThru and navigator2011 like this.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do a search for (rchelicopterfun.com) best place to start for a beginner pilot,welcome to the rabbit hole.
beastx / Helithunder( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1X...s3ZRqyqpkMA11Q )
Helithunder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2021, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
what I know today is that omp m2 I would have started with if I were a new beginner.
I really don't get the M2 recommendation for beginners. It's a very high speed heli that gets away from you FAST. It's quite intimidating for beginners. The 150S or even something smaller like a Nano would be much better.
Palm_Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2021, 06:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palm_Pilot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
I really don't get the M2 recommendation for beginners. It's a very high speed heli that gets away from you FAST. It's quite intimidating for beginners. The 150S or even something smaller like a Nano would be much better.
The M2 has a very good stability mode that can be programmed for a bailout transmitter depending. It's pretty mellow at 55% throttle and would probably fly with less. Throw in some expo and D/R and it's very easy to control. In addition you can dial it back in the FBL It's easy to fix. I have a K110, often advised as a begging heli, and the K110 is significantly harder to fly than an M2. The K110 is twitchy, and the tail can slide out on you. It flies like a micro, the M2 flies like a bigger helicopter

But I've never flown a 150S, I did have a 230S though.

The M1 might be a little better as it should crash better, is smaller and flies almost as good as the M2

Getting out of the Blade heli environment does add a little more burden on you to figure things out and get it to work, but this forum is full of info and usually you can get your questions answered if you're stumped
Beserkr likes this.
RustyChain is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2021, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyChain View Post
The M2 has a very good stability mode that can be programmed for a bailout transmitter depending. It's pretty mellow at 55% throttle and would probably fly with less. Throw in some expo and D/R and it's very easy to control. In addition you can dial it back in the FBL It's easy to fix. I have a K110, often advised as a begging heli, and the K110 is significantly harder to fly than an M2. The K110 is twitchy, and the tail can slide out on you. It flies like a micro, the M2 flies like a bigger helicopter

But I've never flown a 150S, I did have a 230S though.

The M1 might be a little better as it should crash better, is smaller and flies almost as good as the M2

Getting out of the Blade heli environment does add a little more burden on you to figure things out and get it to work, but this forum is full of info and usually you can get your questions answered if you're stumped
I agree that M1 would be better - mostly because it's lighter.
Yes, the K110 is twitchy, but very crash resistant.

IMO, beginners have many choices of small, light helis to start with. The weight is a big factor - the heavier it weighs, the more power and headspeed it needs to fly. The more headspeed there is, the faster the heli can get away from you.

Yes, I know the M2 has a "stability" mode - I dislike them. They're a crutch and you don't learn to fly a CP heli by flying in that mode. It's like flying a drone and thinking you can fly a CP heli...
Beserkr likes this.

Last edited by Palm_Pilot; 01-06-2021 at 12:30 AM..
Palm_Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2021, 08:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Note - TLDR at the bottom

Having only started with helis relatively recently I'd like to offer up my experience...

I didn't know much when I started and had no one to give me guidance (should have come to the forums earlier!). So, I bought a used but mint Blade 400 flybar 450-size, along with AccuRC 2.

Put in about 10-15 hours on the sim before my first flight which helped ENORMOUSLY. Actually managed some nose-in with one or two real flights because of my sim work. Within ten flights (and more sim time) I was able to complete rough circuits and fast-forward flight.

Even though it's obselete tech, I found a 450-size flybar heli a good trainer for me. The fact it's not 100% locked-in like FBL helis forced me to learn the small and quick inputs needed to hold it stable, and that skill has really done me well when I moved over to the more stable FBL helis I think.

After a crash, rebuild, a winter lay-off and the Covid lockdown in March, I decided to buy a Nano S2 and DX9, since I knew I'd been well bitten by the heli bug by then.

I found the Nano to be a much better beginner heli for many reasons:

- Lightweight, so most crashes over grass it just bounces and asks for more
- Unintimidating. Along with the crashworthiness, this gives you so much confidence to throw it around and learn. I actually taught myself nose-in inverted hover purely with the Nano - no sim.
- Underpowered. This sounds bad, but actually works well for a serious beginner. The motor bogs really easily when trying flips and rolls, so it forces you to learn good collective management.
- Useable anywhere, I managed to get out to the local park with the Nano most nights last summer and ended up putting over 200 flights on it. In contrast, I've flown the B400 four times last year...

Once I felt my skills were starting to exceed the Nano's capabilities I got myself a 150s wanting more power. For me, it was the perfect step-up from the Nano and although needing much more space, flies way better.
I upgraded it quite a bit and have about 100 flights on it now, but again I started to feel I needed more from a heli as my skills have grown.

So now, I have the OMP M2 Explore. The best flying heli I've flown (bar perhaps a Trex 550 I flew briefly at the club) with super stability and insane power.

So what am I getting at?

Well, I think that almost any heli can make a good trainer, depending I guess on some of the following:

- Budget - do you have deep pockets to suck up crash costs, or is your budget tighter meaning you'll have to fly more carefully to try minimise repair costs?
If on a budget, smaller is better

- Availability of flying sites - Do you have a safe club site nearby, or will you need to be flying in more public areas?
If you're going to be having to fly in public areas, I'd limit yourself to 250-size since danger level rises pretty quickly as you go much bigger

- Commitment to the hobby
If you think this could simply be a passing fad, obviously go cheaper and smaller to minimise your losses should you decide flying helis isn't for you. Conversely if you're certain you're an addict, go wild

There are other considerations but I feel those are the main ones for a beginner to think about (others feel free to correct me!).

I don't feel there's ever a 'perfect' answer to questions like these - everyone has different skills, needs and expectations. Do plenty of research, ask lots of questions and consider how much you want to invest in this hobby, both in terms of time and cost.
Then, choose the heli that you think ticks the right boxes for you. Then get a simulator and WS2000 wireless dongle for your DX6.

In terms of the helis mentioned in this thread, I think the M1 is probably the best choice due to it's small size and excellent reviews. The Nano was a great trainer but Blade do charge a lot for spares and you can quickly end up spending a lot on them.
The 150s and M2 are also excellent, but due to being larger/heavier will incur more damage in a crash compared to the Nano/M1. They are fast and powerful, but as has been said you can tame them easily with your radio settings.

TLDR: IMHO, the OMP M1 is probably the best bet since it reportedly flies wonderfully and is small. It will crash well and be easy to maintain - allowing you to concentrate on flying first and foremost.

The M2 is a better choice than the 150s - having owned both I feel I can say this with confidence. The M2 has better build quality, spares are MUCH cheaper and it's flight performance is a class above the 150s.

Good luck and hope you're able to find something you're happy with.

Trex 550X | Blade 400 '3DX' | OMP M2 | Blade 150S
DX9
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjxIBBszfXNcHtNCM7dbELg
Beserkr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have an XK-K123, an Align Trex 150DFC and an OMP M1. I fly them around the living room of my 1000 sq. ft. apartment (after spending a lot of time using AccuRC) and can say that the M1 in stability mode is by far the easiest to fly. I would highly recommend it, but also bear in mind that I've spent a lot of time tweaking my curves and setting up DR for all 3 helis to get them tame enough to fly in such a tight space.
Trevael is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in