Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters

Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters Discussions

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By emilgoddard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2020, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 550 carbon fiber boom

I saw that someone replaced the tail boom on a diabolo 700 with a carbon fiber tube. They were able to take to boom supports off and said it flew fine. I am wondering if anyone has done this with the 550 and also some insight on this. Like what makes the 600 not need boom supports but all the rest do?
I personally just love the look of the straight boom w/o supports. Oxy, mostro, and diabolo 600 are my all time favorite looking helis.
I'd love to be able to put a cf boom on my diabolo 550 and remove the supports but I just don't know if it'll be strong enough or how I would even test if it is.
emilgoddard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2021, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The boom diameter for the 600 is pretty big for a 600 size heli, so they tried without supports with good luck. However my 600 kit came with supports. When I asked about this I was told Miles and Nick had better luck using the supports for 3d flight, as it helps rigidity and allowed them to run a higher tail gain.

The 550 boom is much narrower of course, although shorter than the 600. I suppose a carbon boom with no supports might do fine for less aggressive flying but I don’t think I’d try it for the hard stuff. Just my thoughts. I’m afraid I don’t know where to get a carbon boom in that diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
corrosionate is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosionate View Post
The boom diameter for the 600 is pretty big for a 600 size heli, so they tried without supports with good luck. However my 600 kit came with supports. When I asked about this I was told Miles and Nick had better luck using the supports for 3d flight, as it helps rigidity and allowed them to run a higher tail gain.

The 550 boom is much narrower of course, although shorter than the 600. I suppose a carbon boom with no supports might do fine for less aggressive flying but I don’t think I’d try it for the hard stuff. Just my thoughts. I’m afraid I don’t know where to get a carbon boom in that diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok so some ppl are using supports on the 600. I only saw a few pics of them w/o and figured thats how they were all built.
As far as putting a cf boom on the 550, I don't think I'll be chasing that idea. I don't want to be the first one to try it and from what I've read, there can be a lot of vibration issues.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=776250

However, I did just order a new diabolo 700, and since Luvmyhelis had success with his running the tri tail, I think I will try it as well.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilgoddard View Post
Ok so some ppl are using supports on the 600....
yes, if you check YT videos of Miles & Diabolo 600 you'll find Miles flying both version in 2017. earlier (and 6s) without, later with supports. i've (at least) not seen a video of Nick without supports. even mighty 30mm boom, it seems to be the way to go for harder 3d.

btw: ... enjoy your new 700 - what version and what will be your planned setup?

Ciao
Michael

Last edited by Rabid121; 01-12-2021 at 09:31 AM..
Rabid121 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2021, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diabolo 700 Black Edition- Rigid head- Tri tail/silver pulley- 19t pinion
Main Blades- vtx 697 or 717. Will try them both and decide which ones i like more.
Tail Blades- Rotor Tech 106
Motor- Pyro 750-56l comp
Esc- Kosmik cool 210 hv-i
Servos- Cyclic-Futaba bls272 Tail- Futaba bls276
Fbl- Vlink Neo
Batteries- 5100mah 12s maniax
Target headspeed- 1950
Rabid121 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in