Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > OMP Helicopters

OMP Helicopters OMP M1/M2/M4 support

Like Tree73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2021, 07:51 AM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess the customs finally got fed up with pestering me so today my M1 arrived. No extra charges!

Its a bit bigger than I expected but again the quality of the engineering is quite stunning. Looking forward to getting it setup this evening.

Thanks to Smoggie for the excellent service!

Just hovered it for the first time in the garage. Had to set the throttle curve at 50% and its still pretty scary for a beginner like me. Hovers beautifully, so much more stable than the MCPx. Looks and feels much bigger too but I just put them side by side and there really isn't that much difference. I am going to dumb it down even more for garage practice.
Ah Clem likes this.

Last edited by rishig; 01-13-2021 at 01:51 PM..
rishig is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Added some color to help with visibility

Looks more like BIG brother now!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210115_124942 (Large).jpg
Views:	736
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	900157   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210115_124956 (Large).jpg
Views:	896
Size:	552.2 KB
ID:	900159  
zguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2021, 08:39 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

Holy god what a great photo! What a difference in size!
xoexoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2021, 04:37 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great way to put things into perspective

Ah Clem, zguy and Freeskiken like this.
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2021, 07:48 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny31297 View Post
Great way to put things into perspective

Liking the RT 560U's on my Logo 550!

Still hoping they'll make a 760u for this big bitch, but I know you've said it's low on the list.

Question on your M1 tune. Used the settings from your other post, but used ele gyro 4 vs. your 3. Noticed some fast wobbles during pirouetting moves, but clean in both ele and ale tic tocs. Will try ele gyro 3 next outing, but curious if this is why you lowered it, or ?

Any other tuning tips? I know we both just got it.

Thanks!
Ah Clem likes this.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:00 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zguy View Post
Liking the RT 560U's on my Logo 550!

Still hoping they'll make a 760u for this big bitch, but I know you've said it's low on the list.

Question on your M1 tune. Used the settings from your other post, but used ele gyro 4 vs. your 3. Noticed some fast wobbles during pirouetting moves, but clean in both ele and ale tic tocs. Will try ele gyro 3 next outing, but curious if this is why you lowered it, or ?

Any other tuning tips? I know we both just got it.

Thanks!
Glad you're enjoying the blades! 760, yeah, as mentioned. There needs to be a market for it.

As far as my tune goes, I simply flew it and lowered gain and agile until it stopped clean on elevator without wobbling. Gain at 3 is still decently high to keep the heli on track, and the added gyroscopic stability from the motor as well as the kinda heavy blades certainly help as well. I know some people running as low as 1 with no issues, so I guess the R&D guys designed the gain range so that you can't make the heli unflyable wse.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Glad you're enjoying the blades! 760, yeah, as mentioned. There needs to be a market for it.

As far as my tune goes, I simply flew it and lowered gain and agile until it stopped clean on elevator without wobbling. Gain at 3 is still decently high to keep the heli on track, and the added gyroscopic stability from the motor as well as the kinda heavy blades certainly help as well. I know some people running as low as 1 with no issues, so I guess the R&D guys designed the gain range so that you can't make the heli unflyable wse.
Got my first real flights in today and am impressed. Particularly with the tail!
The ele gain at 3 seemed to help, but conditions were different. Also upped the speeds to 7, but still seeing overall what I like.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Got my first real flights in today and am impressed. Particularly with the tail!
The ele gain at 3 seemed to help, but conditions were different. Also upped the speeds to 7, but still seeing overall what I like.

Yeah that tail is something else. Whoever programmed and tested that thing needs a raise.
xoexoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2021, 06:05 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
Yeah that tail is something else. Whoever programmed and tested that thing needs a raise.
The tail is so good, do you guys think they're using something like this where the gov kicks in to add left yaw?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=266
Old 01-19-2021, 06:13 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The tail is so good, do you guys think they're using something like this where the gov kicks in to add left yaw?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=266
They are. You can hear it and feel it.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:37 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
They are. You can hear it and feel it.
But the M2 and L200 do not?
Old 01-19-2021, 07:15 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Newest version of the M2 FC does, L200 does not by default. I have implemented this through Macrocells on mine but ultimately found I don't need it for my flying style and disabled it again.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Newest version of the M2 FC does, L200 does not by default. I have implemented this through Macrocells on mine but ultimately found I don't need it for my flying style and disabled it again.
Great information. Thanks!

I've been flying tail motors on 4 different birds over the years and none are close to as good as the M1's.

Recently was the Blade 150s. Decent mechanically, but flys like crap. Like the lower mass vs. the M2 though. Any ideas to get it enjoyable? At least until HF3D is readily available.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:09 PM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's been a long time since I've had a heli to use my ancient DX8 on.

Man, this is the best micro I've ever had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1022.JPEG
Views:	59
Size:	448.6 KB
ID:	902865  
xoexoe likes this.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:16 PM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomstoy2 View Post
Oh man, finally, finally today I get to maiden my m1!
Weather will be warm enough and wind, hopefully, (this is Colorado after all ), holds off.

She’s been sitting on the coffee table staring at me ever since I got her.

I mean, it’s not like you get much pleasure out of building her or setting her up really. Everything’s done. Just an examination, a correction when I found the anti-rotation pin loose, and that’s it.

I fly Futaba, so I ordered OMP’s rx for $10.
It’s tiny. Just stick it on the side of the battery tray, there’s plenty of room.
It’s really quite a deal.

Binding. Power up the rx and tx , push and hold the button on the rx for 3 seconds and release. That simple.

Radio programming, testing, verifying took about 10 minutes.

Test hover in the kitchen was excellent! Most stable micro I have ever flown indoors!
Did have a tiny nose forward drift so did a calibration. Second flight, she just sat there hovering in place.

So, by now the anxiety of waiting is killing me!
You know how it is. To closer you get to first real maiden flight the more the anxiety grows. Time just drags on the closer you get.
Then, once your out there, time speeds back up, even faster it seems. Before you know it 4-5 hours has gone by.
I’m at 4 hours away now from flying, and swear I could read War & Peace in this time!!!

I got high hopes for this girl. I’ve put in over 800 flights on my xk x110 this year. Up here, she does fine, but the tail blows out constantly. So, my expectations are high.

Well, this took 10 minutes, what else can I do,,,
What steps did you take for calibration? Mine drifts to the left, right or forward. I've landed it, held the elevator all the way down to go into debug mode, then flown it as steadily as I can. Next, hold down the stick to go out of debug mode and test fly only to find it just drifts another direction.

Another user said it hovered steady in one place. Mine doesn't come close to that.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:43 PM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Where the Heli is it

Where the Heli is it. I prepaid back in the middle of November from helidirect and still no info. For M1 Starting to lose interest
hitmiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2021, 01:41 AM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmiss View Post
Where the Heli is it. I prepaid back in the middle of November from helidirect and still no info. For M1 Starting to lose interest
A question for Helidirect.. No?

They have been shipping from the factory since December. www.scotiarc.co.uk has had two batches delivered and a third is on it's way. They sell as soon as we get them so hard to keep in stock, but there is no good reason why you should have been waiting since November.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

RC HeliPilot,

Mine drifted back and to to the right first hover.
I remembered reading that the calibration was about the same as my XK’s so I entered calibration, lifted off, once I got her stable I put it down and exited calibration.
Next lift off felt good but was hard to tell as all this was done in my kitchen, furnace off. By the time I tried the 2nd test hover the furnace was blowing again so the air was disturbed.
Eventually, when I did get to fly outside I found her hovering nicely in place.

When I wrote the post, the flying at the club didn’t happen, crappy weather.
I’ve had only a flight here and there until yesterday, perfect weather, and got a dozen flights in.
During the occasional flights, I increased Ali, elev and pitch speeds up one light, and decreased the agility by one light.

I do like how she flys, but there are things I don’t like. Chief one is;
Whenever I flip or roll, the fc adds a small increase in collective, kind of like VBar’s anti gravity. This causes the flip or roll to pull the heli into the direction on the maneuver, preventing a stationary flip or roll.
Increasing speed and agility, ( agility becomes more rigid with decrease of lights ), helped but didn’t eliminate this tendency.
This drives me nuts!
Research found that in OPM protocol it does indeed add a touch of collective, but it’s not supposed to be if using external rx, which is false.
Any other issues I have are trivial.

What I do like is the incredible power. Smashing collective, that big motor doesn’t care. she’ll shoot up about 25 feet in a little over 1 second!

She’s incredibly stable! This, I think, is mainly due to the horizontal centrifugal force initiated by the main motor mass.

If it would just do a stationary flip or roll it would be perfect!

My impression at the end of yesterday, I like it, it’s fun, different in flying characteristics, but I can’t stand her flip and roll characteristics.
It’s got all the power in the world, making it capable of advanced 3D maneuvers. A big plus for a micro!
I’ll be flying the crap out of her once winter is gone, for sure. However, this pulling during a flip or roll screw’s with me.
I don’t know what the work around is.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:41 AM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomstoy2 View Post
Whenever I flip or roll, the fc adds a small increase in collective, kind of like VBar’s anti gravity.
This is not correct. The flight controller does not automatically add any collective in a flip or roll. Collective is basically a straight 'pass-through' of the flight controller. It responds only to collective stick input from the Tx.

You can demonstrate this quite easily by manipulating the heli 'in your hand' through upright and inverted orientations, no collective is added, unlike anti-gravity where you can clearly see the collective changing as the heli rotates.
Clinton1 likes this.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:29 PM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

You very well may be right, I don’t know. However, the problem is real.
Flipping in factory settings, it will pull in the direction of the flip almost twice it’s length.
Lowering agility down one flash, the pull was less, about 1 1/2 its length.
Not sure if the improvement is just due to completing the maneuver faster?

I’m going to lower agility for my next outing, see if it does make a difference or not.

Increasing the speed again, I really don’t want it any faster just yet. She’s pretty damn fast now. About the same speed as my xk k110 which I have dialed all the way up.

Like I said, if I could eliminate that pull she would be Perfect in my opinion, but right now, fast forward with a flip or roll thrown in just looks stupid.

Tail, took it up one flash also. Took out a hunt at stationary that she had. Love that tail now, but think I’ll try increasing speed up one.
When I take off I love smashing left rudder along with collective. But vertical is so fast I can only get one rotation before bailing out! Vertical is just impressive, and I’m at 5000 feet!

Before speculations come in, servos are centered, swash level, pirouette’s are stationary, curves are flat.

Anyway, she’s fun, no doubt about that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in