Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
I guess a lot is going to depend on your mix of ESCs. A large portion of the information that we gather and use is from the various ESCs we use. HW, Spektrum, Castle, etc. all have data that can be sent from our helicopters to our transmitters.

Some require an adaptor (Castle Spektrum Telemetry Link) to get the information to a remote (4649T) that can then get the information to our transmitter. Some need only to have the SRXL2 4651T connected to the gyro in order to be received by our transmitters. If you have an older system that you don't desire to upgrade to SRXL or SRXL2, then the much older TM1000 can still do the job for you and will allow communication with Castle ESCs via the Castle Spektrum Telemetry Link.

I think you need to list out what your ESCs are. The iKON2 is able to use a number of different ESCs and get the telemetry information to your radio but I am sure that you will need at least the SRXL protocol and the 4649T. Take care.

Don
All are HW, the Align 550x is Align's version of HW. Next heli will be big and spec'd based on this conversation.
So, no more than I am looking for with telemetry/integration, the new radio with 4649Ts will get the job done.
Jeti or such means TX and new collection of FLB/receivers?

Last edited by RCFred; 11-13-2020 at 12:32 PM..
RCFred is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Although I have not installed an HW ESC before, I have partially installed one in a Logo 800 with an iKON2 at the helm. The owner and I cannot get together this weekend or I would be able to give you a rundown on the final product in operation as it would be the 800 with the HW 200 w/BEC, an iKON2, and run by a DX9. It is hooked up but has not been programmed yet as we were missing the programming box for it. The 4651T needs to be updated before we start but that is all that is left to do. I have the special cable made up to attach the 4651T to the iKON2 but your 4549T will fit right in with no adaptor needed. I already have two systems with the 4649T fully operational. You are correct about the Jeti in that you would need new receivers (I am not sure if their remote receivers are like those from Spektrum or not) for each project you have but I am sure that you would be able to use the existing FBL units you have. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2020, 10:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFred View Post
Since you’re using Ikons if you switched to another brand like Jeti, OpenTX, Futaba etc you’d need to buy a new RX for each heli and a new transmitter. The Ikon works with a wide range of radio systems. OpenTX and Jeti have excellent integration with Ikons.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFred View Post
All are HW, the Align 550x is Align's version of HW. Next heli will be big and spec'd based on this conversation.
So, no more than I am looking for with telemetry/integration, the new radio with 4649Ts will get the job done.
No need to switch brand of radio.
Simo71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am awaiting delivery of my NX8 which is only available in mid-March, here in the UK. It is the last of the new NX series models to be released which I am not sorry about as hopefully, bugs discovered in the NX6 & NX10 should have been ironed out by the time the NX8 goes on sale.

Which leads me to the purpose of this post - there have been some reports of charging and Wi-Fi issues with the NX6, so I am interested to know what bugs have been encountered by NX6 & NX10 owners so far?
Cyclone7 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2021, 12:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Since it was the first model out, the NX6 has had the most experience with bugs.

Firmware version 3.03, the current version, fixes most of the worst problems out there. The NX10's have shipped in the US now, and those came from Horizon with 3.03 installed. The NX6's and the NX10's shipped other places had 3.02.

With 3.03, the problem with updating firmware via Wi-Fi was resolved. You could always upgrade the old way, by registering at Spektrum's Web site and then downloading a firmware file, and that's how people with 3.02 may have to get to 3.03. The charging issue is also supposed to be fixed with 3.03.

The biggest issues right now with 3.03 are with importing models and with the sound. Importing DX models (SPM files) is losing the settings for the trim. The sound system is making strange static noises randomly, most noticeable when you have the roller beeping turned on and you're scrolling through menus. Those things are both software issues and will be fixed down the road.

There is also a problem with some older DSM2 receivers. The servos may twitch periodically for no apparent reason. That's something they're still working on; 3.03 didn't fix that.

By the time you get your NX8, I imagine they'll be on at least 3.04.

I got my NX10 a few days ago. Overall it seems like a great radio. It's very comparable to the DX9 in many respects, even weight. The NX10 has a bigger battery than the NX6 or NX8, so the battery adds a little more heft. I was expecting the NX10 to be a lot lighter than the DX9, but it's not. The DX9 is 0.81kg, and the NX10 is 0.78kg.

I have a Spektrum Stand-Up Transmitter Case that I have used with my DX9 for years. The NX10 fits very well in that case. It's just a tiny bit more snug, but it's not necessary to trim any foam.

I really like the fact that it has internal storage that you can access via USB. Rather than moving an SD card back and forth to the PC, you can just plug in the radio. That USB connection can also be used to hook up with a flight simulator such as RealFlight. The transmitter appears to Windows as a game controller, which is what most sims expect now. Spektrum sells a little adapter cable for connecting a wired training cable, so it should still work with Phoenix if you prefer that one and still have it working.

The NX series can read and import models from the DX series (SPM files) and from the iX series (ISPM files). However, the NX series will only export NX files (NSPM files).

No other transmitters will write NSPM files. The iX12 can read all three file formats and write in both ISPM and SPM. That makes the iX12 the closest thing to a "universal translator" right now. The iX20 reads all three formats as well but only writes ISPM.

Another plus is the addition of a real clock inside. If you care about the timestamps of files you export or in the telemetry logs, you'll finally see some real times in there.

All NX radios have antenna diversity. The main antenna now rotates, allowing you to improve the angle of it while you're holding the transmitter. The secondary antenna is beneath the NX logo on the face of the radio; it's not in the handle like the DX series.

Finally, it's not mentioned in the spec sheets anywhere, but the NX series transmitters all have the vibration (vibe) alert. For a long time you had to have at least a DX9 for that feature; they took it out of the less-expensive DX Gen2 transmitters. Many people may be glad to hear that it's back now.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all of that Flightengr - very informative and good of you to spend the time on such a detailed update and explanation. Some of it I knew, but a lot of it, not. I have been wading through the NX thread on RCG which has also been quite useful(at page 50 out of 120 pages so far).
Old 02-13-2021, 02:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, that was the short version of the two RCG threads. Without all the off-topic stuff in between.
mlp3028 and Cyclone7 like this.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Before the nx10 was on the market it was said to have improved sticks over the DX9. Sence the release of the nx10 I have heard that the throttle stick is sticky and not really any better that the dx series. Can anyone with first hand experience comment on this.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would agree that the feel of the sticks is identical to my DX9, including the "sticky" feel that's annoying when flying a helicopter. I haven't tried adjusting it yet, as I don't fly helis much anymore and the sticky feel is not an issue for planes. A friend who is much more into helis spent the time to make the DX9 very smooth, and I've have to believe the same could be done to an NX radio.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:30 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr View Post
Yeah, that was the short version of the two RCG threads. Without all the off-topic stuff in between.
The off topic stuff and pathetic trolling is irritating to say the least when you are trying to focus on the topic in hand :

Last edited by Cyclone7; 02-18-2021 at 03:41 AM..
Old 02-17-2021, 12:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll keep adding interesting tidbits here as time goes on.

A new update was released today for NX series. It's version 3.04.01, which they're calling a "Public Beta". That's normal now, as I think the last update for the DX series was called a Public Beta the day it was released. If it's out for a little while with few/manageable complaints then they'll change the name. The name probably helps people decide if they want to jump on the new version right away or wait for other people to try it out. The changes are in the usual place here:
https://spektrumrc.cachefly.net/AirwareChangelogs.html

It looks like 3.04.01 fixes several things they knew about before the NX10 started shipping in the US, so the latest issues that have come up are not addressed. It says they fixed the DSM2 problem in this release; if so, that should make a lot of people happy and solve the biggest functional issue that's hanging out there.

EDIT: Looks like updating via Wi-Fi is still a problem, as the upgrade to 3.04.01 over Wi-Fi has failed for some people. It applies the update but then the transmitter won't boot; it gets stuck on the Spektrum logo screen. The best bet is still to update using an external micro SD card and the traditional method of downloading from the Spektrum Web site.

It says a lot for the radio that some of the most annoying things have to do with the sound, something that's really not that critical. I mentioned the glitchy roller sounds in my previous post. Another one is that there's an extra beeping noise now in for the Throttle Cut feature for airplane (acro) models. So a common change has been to go into the System Setup menu, then System Settings, then NEXT to the second screen, and then select System Sounds. If you choose to "Inhibit" the "Roller Sounds", then you avoid a lot of the glitching, and actually it makes the radio a lot less noisy! Now that I have that turned off, I appreciate the fact that it's not beeping constantly as I turn the wheel. The other change on this screen is to Inhibit the "Switch Sounds" to get rid of the extra beeps when you turn on Throttle Cut. It doesn't turn off the voice callouts for switch changes; it just turns off beeps.

Last edited by flightengr; 02-17-2021 at 08:05 PM..
Old 02-17-2021, 12:27 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks flightengr - please do keep posting the information you think is important. I have finished reading through the RCG thread which was quite tedious at times, I have to say - it is clear that many people never bother to read a manual, never read back through a thread, never use the search function and much prefer to have others do their research for them. Rant over!

Looks like that with the release of 3.04.01, most of the immediate niggles will have been addressed by the time I get my NX8 in March - as you predicted.

Your tireless effort in cutting through the claptrap and providing clear explanations is much appreciated by one and all, I think.
torpicaltrail and RCFred like this.

Last edited by Cyclone7; 02-17-2021 at 01:05 PM..
Old 02-17-2021, 11:26 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wonder if they will update the ix12 to be able to use a usb cord for simming.
That would be nice.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are a handful of negative comments now on RCG that may pertain to 3.04.01. If you have an NX on 3.03, you might want to stay there for now.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:05 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I would agree that the feel of the sticks is identical to my DX9, including the "sticky" feel that's annoying when flying a helicopter. I haven't tried adjusting it yet, as I don't fly helis much anymore and the sticky feel is not an issue for planes. A friend who is much more into helis spent the time to make the DX9 very smooth, and I've have to believe the same could be done to an NX radio.
You have to pull the back off of the DX9 to fix the throttle stickyness, like with the Teflon Tape Mod. I wounder how easy it will be to pull the back off of the NX transmitters, if that is necessary to fix the throttle stickyness.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:14 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't seen a video yet but I've seen a couple of pics. It looks very similar to the DX9. Looks like six screws and removing the hand grips on the sides.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:35 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
There are a handful of negative comments now on RCG that may pertain to 3.04.01. If you have an NX on 3.03, you might want to stay there for now.
It will be interesting to see what version my NX8 has installed when it arrives in a few weeks time. If it is on 3.04.x I will probably revert to 3.03 until the 'all clear' is given on 3.04. V3.03 seems to work well enough for the mean time.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bet 3.05 isn't far off.

The DX9 had its issues at first, too. I just checked the release notes... it had 1.01 and 1.01A a week apart, and then went from 1.02 to 1.06 in six months.

Waiting for the NX8 might turn out to be a good thing! I have faith that they'll get all this straightened out in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's what I have been thinking too - I am not sorry that the NX8 is the last to be released.

One question - on my DX6 the firmware version flashes up in the top right hand corner of the screen during the boot process. Does the same thing happen on the NX series? Judging by the speed that the NX powers up, you would have to be quick to catch it but I am curious nonetheless.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in