Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Protos 700/800

MSH Protos 700/800 MSH Protos 700/800 Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2021, 01:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated (AND COVID FREE!) capital city on earth!)
Default Where to look for cause of excessive tail vibration?

I have an MSH Prôtos 700 Leggero/Evolzione Franken heli. It's been flying quite well, but since the new year, I've found that the tail "drifts" during and after some manoeuvres. I've noticed that there is a large tail vibration and mistakenly assumed that that was affecting the Brain2 FBL. Rik has since "put me straight" and I now understand what his admonition about clearing up vibrations BEFORE looking at the FBL is about.

So that leaves me with a problem. Below are 3 screen snips from the vibrations log file of the Brain2. The first shows the heli on the bench with NO blades attached (neither mains nor tails). As you can see, all seems fine.
The second shows the heli on the bench with NO mains, but tails attached. A bit worse but still quite reasonable.
The last shows the heli in flight (obviously with both mains and tails). As you can see the tail vibration (and the overall Global vibration) level has "gone through the roof". I've checked everything I know might contribute to tail vibration and all seems fine, but my knowledge is now exhausted.

Any ideas on what might be causing this issue in flight? It seems to be related to the forces at play in flight, but where?

NO blades:

Tails ONLY:

In Flight:

TIA,
Paolo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vibrations SNIP (no blades) from 2021-01-2.png
Views:	331
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	905295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vibrations SNIP (no Mains) from 2021-01-2.png
Views:	338
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	905297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vibrations SNIP (Flight) from 2021-01-2.png
Views:	338
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	905299  
XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)

Last edited by PaoloFCantoni; 02-17-2021 at 10:35 PM..
PaoloFCantoni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2021, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you tried changing to a different blade or checking the balance of the blades? Is this vibration level always present or is this just the peak? Does your tail rod have a slight bend in it or is it straight? Have you pulled the grips off and checked bearings? Tail drift sounds like a tuning issue.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2021, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe check the I.D. of your thrust bearing races. I have read getting those mixed up can cause some nasty vibes.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tail blades is most likely. Also, how tight do you run them? Too loose blades can cause vibes in air.

I agree with what was said before
Check that the tail blades weight the same and are balanced.
Make sure that your thrust bearings are in the correct direction per the manual.
Make sure all bearings in the tail are smooth
Make sure all tail mechanics are smooth
Old 02-17-2021, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated (AND COVID FREE!) capital city on earth!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
Have you tried changing to a different blade or checking the balance of the blades? Is this vibration level always present or is this just the peak? Does your tail rod have a slight bend in it or is it straight? Have you pulled the grips off and checked bearings? Tail drift sounds like a tuning issue.
Done all that, Ben, thanks.
XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)
Old 02-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdout View Post
Maybe check the I.D. of your thrust bearing races. I have read getting those mixed up can cause some nasty vibes.
I haven't actually cheek them since I installed them, but the vibes weren't there earlier and the tail assembly hasn't changed.

Paolo
Old 02-17-2021, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeber View Post
Tail blades are most likely. Also, how tight do you run them? Too loose blades can cause vibes in the air.

I agree with what was said before
Check that the tail blades weight the same and are balanced.
Make sure that your thrust bearings are in the correct direction per the manual.
Make sure all bearings in the tail are smooth
Make sure all tail mechanics are smooth
As mentioned, done all that! Loose blades were my first thought!

Interestingly, after Rik put me right about the FBL, I checked my XLP 700 and it has almost as much of a tail vibe (50-60%) and it DOESN'T have the drift! Weird!

Paolo

[EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention that if I hover the heli and go "hands off the sticks" there is NO drift. It only occurs during some manoeuvres (not even very smack ones- I'm a "big air" flyer). Some new mains have arrived today so I'll try switching mains to see if that affects things when I get home.]

Last edited by PaoloFCantoni; 02-17-2021 at 10:34 PM..
Old 02-17-2021, 11:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The battery trays generally allow the packs to "jiggle" which causes funny things to happen. I always flew with extra straps between the chassis and packs to mitigate this.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2021, 02:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
The battery trays generally allow the packs to "jiggle" which causes funny things to happen. I always flew with extra straps between the chassis and packs to mitigate this.
Mine are both strapped in and 3M Dual Locked in! "Dey aynt movin'", but thanks for the thoughts.

I'm home now and waiting for the packs to charge before I go fly and see if the new mains help.

[Edit: New mains didn't help. If anything, it seems slightly worse. I can visibly see the tail fin vibrating

The large amount of "grass" seems to suggest a more general malaise.]

Last edited by PaoloFCantoni; 02-18-2021 at 04:20 AM..
Old 02-18-2021, 07:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Random thought...

Could tail belt tension be an issue?

Paolo
Old 02-18-2021, 09:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

No I don't believe belt tension would cause such a severe vib.

After everything you checked there isn't a whole lot to do now but throw parts at it. Starting with a different tail hub (or hub/grip assembly), then tail shaft if hub doesn't help. If you don't want to open new parts, you can swap the hub/grip assembly from your other Max, assuming it's known good.

I did have a new hub that had vibs from day one so it is possible to have a bad part.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would definitely try a new tailshaft. Never been crashed?

Old 02-18-2021, 02:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

bent tail hub or tail shaft might do it.

I learned a trick to see if you have a bent tail hub. Remove the hub from the tail shaft. Put some pressure on the tail blades back and forth (not rotating them) and see if the tail hub rotates on it's own. If it's bent the pressure through the grips will make it move on it's own. If it's not bent then it will not.

Also, do you fly with anyone else who can double check everything with you? I've missed obvious things before that a second set of eyes caught.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi All,

Life intervened, but last week I managed to make some changes. I changed the mains and tail blades. Having observed that there was quite a bit of "grass", I decided to tighten everything up. I also observed that the skids weren't as rigid as they perhaps could be and I secured them to the lower frame more rigidly.

Anyway, the attached flight log shows that the vibration at the tail blades has reduced to manageable levels and the "grass" has reduced. However, the Global vibration level is still too high. The tail drift is STILL there.

I've attached the flight log and the current Brain2 Configuration.

I'm stumped as to where to go next. I currently plan to reset the FBL to the factory settings and reconfigure it manually from scratch.

Any other ideas? Haven't had a chance to try Jim's test yet, but my suspicion is that it won't show up anything (given the changes) in vibrations so far.

TIA,
Paolo
Old 03-05-2021, 03:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

On the bench with the control rod disconnected can you move the tail blades and see them self centre?

If you are absolutely sure the grips are not binding in any way put a small piece of electrical tape on one tail blade and see what it does for the vibration.

Play with the tape from blade to blade moving it along the blade to see the effect on the vibration level.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't see a drift from these vibrations. Maybe your servo has slipped its original position or your rod is too long/short.

When you remove the tail grips how do the vibes look? How much up/down play is in your main shaft? FWIW, my vibes are high-ish in the tail area also. When you remove the grips it goes nearly flat. Not too worried about it right now.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try locking the inner race to the tail shaft. I had bad vibrations on a tail once. There was a little slop between the inner race and tail shaft.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Please check the head dampers, main shaft, main gear, spindle screws, tail hub & tail shaft.
Make sure all screws are nice & snug.

Any recent crashes?

Robin.
ss1-2013 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2021, 06:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are your storage conditions room climate? Like not a garage or barn or shed, etc.? I'm wondering if those huge main gears could be warped perhaps?

Sounds like you've checked a bunch so just trying to think elsewhere.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, guys, I'll try some of the suggestions over the next week or so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in