Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > AccuRC Flight Sim

AccuRC Flight Sim AccuRC Flight Sim Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FrankFuss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2021, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New to VR

I never thought about getting VR equipment. However, in the last Skids Up podcast, Auggie Copter talked about how good simming with VR was compared to the 2D experience. I did not know if my PC was VR ready, so I ran the SteamVR Performance Test. I think that I am good to go. Now I just need to get a VR headset.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SteamVR Performance Test Results.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	906953  
Ade_Law likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2021, 04:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use a Mac computer. No VR for me.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would be interested but I am blind as a bat without glasses. They aren't going to fit inside the headset. I'd have to buy some smaller harry potter type glasses.
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2021, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
I would be interested but I am blind as a bat without glasses. They aren't going to fit inside the headset. I'd have to buy some smaller harry potter type glasses.
I am very nearsighted also. You do not need to miss out. You can get prescrition inserts for a VR headset. I think I will get the Oculus Quest 2. Here is a link to the prescrition inserts I can get for that headset.

https://www.oculus.com/accessories/v...-lens-inserts/
Old 03-02-2021, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use my glasses with my Quest2 all the time. Has a spacer for the face plate
BuildFlyCrashRepeat is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2021, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I VR with my glasses often with the Oculus Rift S. As long as your glasses aren't huge they should fit.
ToonieRoll is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2021, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

same , small glasses work fine with my VR headset.
zomaar is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2021, 05:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just listened to that episode and now I have been looking at a VR headset. Particularly the Oculus Rift S. Computer is more than capable of running it.

How good is the sim with a VR headset? Is it a game changer or does the technology still need to mature some?
Old 03-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDeffern View Post
How good is the sim with a VR headset? Is it a game changer or does the technology still need to mature some?
I really like the experience with VR. It adds a realism that none of the monitor views can capture. How the helicopter flys feels more real.

The down side is that the resolution or visuals is not great. I have a Samsung Odyssey+. I’m not sure if it’s an AccuRC issue for resolution or ‘screen door effect’ or what exactly. That said, I’ve been using it for a year and am very pleased overall.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would call VR sim'ing a game changer for sure. For me it is something about standing and actually turning my head to track the model that makes everything just 'click' in a way I had not experienced before with the sim.

I would say the VR experience seems a bit more polished in RealFlight then AccuRC, AccuRC is awesome but I have experienced a few jarring visual issues in VR that can break immersion or at worse cause some motion sickness. You also want to stay away from the photography based scenes as only the 3D modeled scenes can support your viewpoint translating around in 3D space as you move your head. Realflight tends to have way more 3D modeled scenes.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you both.

How bad does it pixelate the helicopter? Is it just a minor inconvenience and the immersion makes up for it or will it begin to tire your eyes? I imagine its more of the screen door effect since you are so close to the pixels.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’d describe it like really bad Aliasing. A dark line against a light background is noticeably stair-stepped.

Flying a Kracken 580 really shows how bad it can be. The fine details of the Kraken’s paint scheme are pretty distracting (maybe not for regular flight, but hover training)

If you want eye candy, then you might be disappointed. I’ve heard good things about the HP Reverb G2 in terms of image quality, but not necessarily for AccuRC.
Old 03-13-2021, 01:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got the HP Reverb G2 a couple of weeks back and itís definitely a game changer. New to VR, neXt worked out of the box, AccuRC is Steam driven - start steam then load in VR, Heli-X is still in V10beta and probably the one I most use. Try a VR multi session with eight other pilots :-)
Mike656 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2021, 02:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike656 View Post
I got the HP Reverb G2 a couple of weeks back and itís definitely a game changer. New to VR, neXt worked out of the box, AccuRC is Steam driven - start steam then load in VR, Heli-X is still in V10beta and probably the one I most use. Try a VR multi session with eight other pilots :-)
Heli-X has VR support in V10 beta??? How do you get access to it? Special invite or can anyone who owns Heli-X try it?
P@reez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Friendly reminder that this is the AccuRC sub.
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2021, 08:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I picked up an oculus rift s and so far I like it. My wife also likes playing beat saber so thatís a bonus!

Are there any plans in the future to add another 3D field? I find the only one that I like right now is the stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedDeffern is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2021, 08:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike656 View Post

I too upgraded to the HP Reverb G2. I had an Oculus Rift S. A huge difference. The Oculus Rift is functional but image quality is lacking. You really need to stay close to yourself. The same happens with the Reverb but you can go much further away from yourself. Up close there is no comparison. It definitely boosts the realism aspect of the simulation.

I have an RTX 2060 graphics card. To get full resolutions on the Reverb some overclocking was required. I suspect the 1070 would be similar. Even without the overclocking and running slightly lower resolutions the Reverb is noticeable better than the Oculus.

To me the VR has been game changing. My flying is improving. I find it very difficult to sim in 2d now.
ToonieRoll is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in