Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spektrum FBL System > Spektrum FC6250HX

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2021, 02:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FC6250HX flight pack telemetry – what sensor?

Hi!

I have a Scorpion Tribunus II 14-200A ESC and an Spektrum FC6250HX FBL. At the moment these aren't able to talk to one another. I've contacted Scorpion and requested that it'll be so in the future, but one can only hope.

Is there any way I at least can get flight pack voltage telemetry working with an external sensor, while I wait?

Will any of SPMA9570, SPMA9570A, SPMA9554 or SPMA9556 do the trick? Which one? If not, what do I need?

Seems stupid to plug 50 volts to the FC6250HX and hope for the best.

Thanks!

(Also submitted via e-mail to Horizon support, will update here if I receive anything there first).
Tobbe Arnesson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2021, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ran across this video that I used to set up voltage telemetry on my Fusion 360. Using the SPMA9570 I was able to connect the battery to the 4649T receiver and it'll transmit the voltage to my DX6(Gen3).

However, I believe the 4649T cannot work with more than 7.5 volts and using it on a 7.5+ volt system might not work. They even recommend not using more than 6.6 volts. So this older receiver might not be suitable for helis bigger than a 360/450.

The successor of the 4649T is the 4651T and I have that one on my Kraken 580 in combination with a SPM9745 satellite receiver. None of those accept any "volt-in" like the 4649T. So no telemetry on the Kraken for now. I am not sure if there's a 9745 variant that has a "volt-in" option.
Esky Kob (converted into scale Bell Huey), 200 SRX (converted into scale EC145), 230 S V2 (currently converting into scale MIL-MI 24 Hind), Fusion 360 (might become a 450 Airwolf), SAB Goblin Kraken 580
Fusion is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2021, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Do not plug the battery sensor into the 6250. You will get a dead short and the sensor wire will become like a hot wire for foam cutting. At this point, there is no direct way to get a battery sensor to work without it being part of an integrated ESC setup that I know of. Unfortunately, the TM1000 will not work side by side with the current line of SRXL2 remote receivers. I do not know if you could temporarily use one of the 4649T remotes in place of the 4651T SRXL2 remotes which does have a battery sensor lead in. In one of my airplanes, I have an AR636A with a stand alone 4649T that gives me the battery voltage. It is not hooked into the AR636A as there is no side remote input so I am only powering the remote. Maybe Brian might know definitively if it can work with the 6250 or if it can work along side the 4651T without interference. As to voltage on the 4649T, some early versions would not work with voltages past 7.2v and very quickly they were replaced by versions that would work with voltages up to 8.4v. The maximum input voltage on the sensor input is 24v, or 6s. You cannot use that remote to monitor a 12s battery, sorry.

Don
Fusion likes this.
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2021, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

As I suspected it would not be as easy as buying any of the current Spektrum sensors. Bummer!

I don't even have a receiver at the moment, just two satellites directly on the 6250. The one included in the 6250-box and a SPM9745.

I suppose one could install the Avian 120 Amp Smart ESC just for power to the 6250 and servos.

No third party options?
Old 03-05-2021, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I don't think buying a 120 just to get some of the information would be money well spent. I would pester Scorpion and their reps for a timeframe when they will have proper support for gyros other than MSH, Spirit, and the few others that might be allowed to read the telemetry info. The specifications have been out there for quite a while for Spektrum so it could be included but if they are not inclined to support products that you buy and only ones that you don't, it might be time to look elsewhere. I will say that I am waiting for a larger ESC to come out of Spektrum as the 120 is a good start but I would like to see something 160 and over hit the market sometime soon. Take care.

Don
Old 03-05-2021, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Tobbe, if you remember, Brian mentioned last year of the fact that he was working with Scorpion to implement the SRXL2 protocol in the Tribunus line of ESCs. It may be time to poke their shoulder to see what has happened with it as it will make telemetry connection very simple. Take care.

Don
Old 03-05-2021, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HobbyWing is making a move

I was just about to ask the same question too.
I have the FC6250HX with the Hobbywing Platinum V4 on my Kraken 580 and want to have the battery pack voltage telemetry.

Today I saw the Hobbywing Telemetry information below BUT with VBAR NEO only.

HobbyWing Telemetry - Spirit System Manual

It will be compatible with most TX protocal.

Hopefully Hobbywing will come up with other FL controllers.
tanasit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2021, 10:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How about the telemetery module TM1500?

Can I connect the TM1500 to the AUX port on the FC6250HX, then connect the voltage sensor between the TM1500 and the battery pack?

Last edited by tanasit; 03-05-2021 at 10:54 PM..
Old 03-05-2021, 11:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I don't think that it will work as it is aimed at the DSMR protocol, which is for surface use. For telemetry on our helicopters, we are using mostly DSMX and either SRXL or SRXL2. I don't think that the 1500 is either and from what I found out trying it myself, was that our transmitters will only receive one protocol for telemetry and ignore any others. So if we are using SRXL2, which is what the 6250 and 4651T are setup to use, it will ignore the older telemetry signals from the TM1000, TM1100, and I don't think that the 1500 was ever compatible with our aircraft transmitters. Hope this helps.

Don
Old 03-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

so there is no telemetry data from other esc yet , hmm
Old 03-06-2021, 11:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Unlike the iKON2 that I am very familiar with, there are no direct stand alone data in-ports on the 6250. There is the four pin X-Bus connector which can hook up to the two Castle data link adaptors and other Spektrum X-Bus telemetry adaptors. There is certainly a signal line in on that connector but I don't know if you were to hook the telemetry line from the HW series of ESCs to that signal pin, plus the ground, that the 6250 could interpret the data. At some point, the ESC manufacturer has to step up and provide a data signal that the 6250 can interpret. Castle had the data signal but with the iKON2, a step-up adaptor had to be fabricated in order to be able to interpret the data and make it usable. It could be as simple as that but HW, Scorpion, and Kontronic must take some time to work out what is needed to get their signal interpreted. Best that I can come up with. Take care.

Don
Old 03-08-2021, 01:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
Tobbe, if you remember, Brian mentioned last year of the fact that he was working with Scorpion to implement the SRXL2 protocol in the Tribunus line of ESCs. It may be time to poke their shoulder to see what has happened with it as it will make telemetry connection very simple. Take care.

Don
I did contact Scorpion prior to this thread, here's the reply:

"Hi Tobbe

Thanks for your email. This is Tony with Scorpion.
We did work with Spektrum since last year but something stuck on both side,
I hope our engineer team will solve all the problem very soon.
Thank you.

Warm Regards
Tony | Scorpion
Sales Manager
Scorpion Power System Limited"

Would be great if more people would e-mail them requesting support.

support spihk.com

Edit: The pile was not meant as their support being bad, just a fun way to do the @-sign.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe Arnesson View Post
I did contact Scorpion prior to this thread, here's the reply:

"Hi Tobbe

Thanks for your email. This is Tony with Scorpion.
We did work with Spektrum since last year but something stuck on both side,
I hope our engineer team will solve all the problem very soon.
Thank you.

Warm Regards
Tony | Scorpion
Sales Manager
Scorpion Power System Limited"

Would be great if more people would e-mail them requesting support.

support spihk.com

Edit: The pile was not meant as their support being bad, just a fun way to do the @-sign.
nice they started working with spektrum as when I ask them back in February last year so there wasn't anything going on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skjermbilde 2021-03-08 163744.png
Views:	21
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	907647  
Old 03-09-2021, 04:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragge1 View Post
nice they started working with spektrum as when I ask them back in February last year so there wasn't anything going on
We're closer then ever before! Still, one can only hope.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Why this combo

Spektrum pair up the FC6250HX with SPM4651T Full Range Telemetry DSMX® Receiver BUT there is no easy way to get the telemetry as we discussed here!!

Wonder why
Old 03-17-2021, 03:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

It finally dawned om me that the 4651T is a receiver sans servo ports and not just a glorified antenna for the 6250HX. That begs the question if one can use another receiver that has telemetry sensors available?

AR637T is currently the only SRXL2-option that I can see; it has this in the description: "Additional telemetry devices such as voltage sensors can be connected to the volt port and XBus telemetry sensors can be connected through the XBus connector".

The question is if the AR637T can function as a serial/remote receiver for the FC6250HX? There's nothing in the 637T-manual about using it as a remote receiver. Not about voltage sensors either, so it might be that it can't handle a 12S-pack anyway. Not going to test on my 637Ts.

Worst case I can change to the Smart Avian 120A ESC. I heard some are happy with it flying smack on 700:s and a couple RAWs. I'm not directly pushing my Tribunus 200A judging by temperature. But I'll hold off from that route and see if Scorpion & Spektrum might solve the telemetry communications. It's definitely more of a "nice to have" rather than "need to have" – so far I'm coming down on 33% with timer, no issues. I'm swapping to Smart ESCs on my Gaui X3 and X5 though, so I might get a revelation.

Another route would be to ditch Spektrum and use VBar like every other heli pilot, but I think it's way overpriced.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
(Also submitted via e-mail to Horizon support, will update here if I receive anything there first).
BTW, I've not received a reply yet – which is quite bad actually. They could at least have said that it can't be done, that they don't know and are looking into it, or something. Yeah, I checked my SPAM-folder. Even double checked that I actually did send an e-mail to them.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Another route would be to ditch Spektrum and use VBar like every other heli pilot, but I think it's way overpriced.
thats what I did , orkade inte å väntar
Old 03-17-2021, 10:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

If you have one or two helicopters, it's not an issue switching brands. Try the math out with 35 to 40 helicopters. It's not so palatable to the pocket book and I have yet to have a crash as a result of the radio or receiver. I had one caused by badly worn connectors to a satellite receiver but part and parcel of it was the FC. It was a Skookum and it will not operate with one remote working. You must have two and if one has a bad connector because of fatigue caused by mishandling (my doing), you lose complete control until the second remote comes back online. It sucks to be 50 feet off the ground and climbing when that happens.

Don
Old 03-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good morning.

I hava a Protos 380 with HW Platinum 60A V4 esc and FC6250HX FBL unit.
I'm almost new to helis and I would like to have low battery alarm on the radio so I can reduce the risk of crash because of low battery.
Does somebody has already try this?

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...=7782884671516.

Enrique
Emontielr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in