Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion > Electric Motors Winding and Repair

Electric Motors Winding and Repair Electric Motors Winding and Repair Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2021, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re-Wound Winding Testing - Help

Hey Fellas,

I rewound my Quantum 2820-880KV to a DLRK-Delta & in the process of testing to find my new KV I cannot get a stable HZ measurement. I am wondering if I wound the stator incorrectly. The voltage is the same & stable across all three phases, depending on speed. I cannot get a stable frequency measurement across any of the three phases.

I know that I can use a RPM detector so show motor speed, but I was trying to avoid purchasing a $40.00 meter (Harbor Freight) for this task only.

I am following the instructions for measuring motor RPM unpowered given at: https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/bru...ing-motor-rpm/

Once this value is known I was going to use this formula for KV value: https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/bru...e-a-motors-kv/

I am using a corded electric drill with a listed RPM of 2500. My Multimeter is a Greenlee that measures my 120 voltage at 60.2 HZ so I know its working correctly.

Does anybody know whats going on?

Thanks!

I didnt take any photos of the stator before I terminated my windings. (I wish I had now....) Attatched is the best photo I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DLRK Wind.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	912963   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8492.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	654.0 KB
ID:	912967  
BK Jeti DS 14 - AccuRC - NEXT
Damn_encode is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2021, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

After doing more digging on this forum I think I might have found my problem.

I was reading that I needed to megger the windings @ 1K so I grabbed my Fluke 1520 and went to work.

I megger the leads to motor shaft and found a direct short. I have included a photo of it. As I was winding the motor I was checking for shorts against the stator so I am not sure what happened here.

But when I put 1000V to it they failed (All three leads failed the same test, same spot) Mabey I got to froggy with the winding wire, I will tear it apart tomorrow night and see what is going on.

Photo attached showing the fault as the test is being run. (little purple spot in the windings)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8652.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	913013  
Old 04-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi D.e.,
If its a parallel delta you can come straight out from under the hood with no leads cut and finalize the connection of starts and ends at the inverter connection of UVW. This usually makes it very "airy" and open under the hood which is a good thing. What a nice diagnostic tool the megger is. As you become a more experienced winder the less you'll probably use it. A single coil winding system make this all easier. You can fit more Cu with no transitional wire for the dual layer, and theoretically u can replace a bad coil without a full tear down.
1BOHO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2021, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It may be that you created the short when pressing the iron onto the stator piece. Good luck troubleshooting. It may be a good to check for shorts after each step of disassembly. It can be difficult to locate otherwise
apostolosnt is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2021, 11:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Problem.....High KV

Hey Fellas,

I started over with this motor. I coated the stator with thinned JB weld, rewound the stator and proof tested each of the windings as I went. Varnished and terminated the windings in a delta config. Now when testing with my electric drill the motor is operating correctly & I am able to get stable frequency for KV verification.

My math is telling me the rewound motor KV is 1985. The original motor KV with 7 turns of multi stranded wire was 880. Now I am stumped. I was under the understanding that Multi Stranded turns count the same as solid wire. It should have been very close to the same KV value.
DLRK wind Delta Termination

Thoughts before I rewind this motor...AGAIN!

Math Used:

RPM = (120 X Frequency) / # Motor Poles
2453 = (120 X 204.4) / 10

KV = RPM / (V X 1.3433)
1985 = 2453 / (.92 X 1.3433)

Motor Specs: https://www.gravesrc.com/quantum-out...820-880kv.html

THANKS!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8732.JPEG
Views:	14
Size:	702.7 KB
ID:	916563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8733.JPEG
Views:	16
Size:	740.5 KB
ID:	916565   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8803.JPEG
Views:	17
Size:	599.7 KB
ID:	916567   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8804.JPEG
Size:	597.9 KB
ID:	916569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8810.JPEG
Size:	787.2 KB
ID:	916571  

Name:	IMG_8811.JPEG
Views:	14
Size:	755.3 KB
ID:	916573  
Old 05-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

It does not matter so with that much variant your calculations are off somewhere. You move fast IMHO .Id never varnish anything until the motor is where I want it in Kv etc.

Regards
Hugh
Old 05-08-2021, 12:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks 1BOHO,

What is the method that you use to calculate KV and I can give that a shot and compare?
Old 05-10-2021, 04:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I always test wind with thin wire eg 0.4mm to confirm winding scheme, termination, and kv. It is a good practice and takes maybe half hour or so.
You should also measure kv directly on the esc before you disassemble it to confirm your drill test.
apostolosnt is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2021, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_encode View Post
Thanks 1BOHO,

What is the method that you use to calculate KV and I can give that a shot and compare?
Take a source with a known speed like a drill and measure the Voltage rms with your digital multimeter then multiply this number by the square root of 2 then divide this number by the known source rpm. That will be a fairly accurate measure. The test wire run test can have some minor error because each persons controller or settings may be different and that can change the terminal speed. The bemf voltage on the other hand should be wind consistent based solely on a known rpm like a drill.

Sorry for the late responses. My son and I've been playing with our Volvos lately. Were building the single cam 8 valve "family cars" with more power than a gran Turismo Maserati ever had.....

The 8 valve family car that cannot handle corners according to the experts ruled the world touring car championship 5 years in a row. You may wonder where was Bavarian Motor Works and all the others high end sports cars in this class... 2nd place that's where. We do more than sit behind pc's running our mouths all day with no real action like Anakin and Kunzke do. We multitask not make excuses! They need sleep and have to cater to mommy....no way they can keep up with me.

Regards
Hubert

Last edited by 1BOHO; 05-19-2021 at 02:21 PM..
1BOHO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in