Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > AccuRC Flight Sim

AccuRC Flight Sim AccuRC Flight Sim Discussion

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2021, 07:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What Graphics Card for VR?

Hi,

What graphics card are you using for VR and how is it performing, what level of graphics detail and FPS do you run at?

I am looking to get a card to use VR, but given the current sky high prices of them it would be great to know what is needed.

Thinking at getting GTX 1060 6GB to go with my Ryzen 5 2600, but not sure if that will be enough graphics power for AccuRC on an Oculus 2 which has 1832x1920 per eye, so combined its approximate to running a 4k display

Does changing the detail level in AccuRC make much difference to performance or appearance in VR?

Thanks!

Ants
Ants is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2021, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, the graphics market is really bad right now.

I’m currently using a GTX1070 with a Samsung Odyssey+. I’m getting good frame rates / latency with SteamVR set to 150% resolution per eye (1764x2212 px) and 90 FPS.

In AccuRC I have everything maxed out for detail and so on...

That said, at the end of the day, the visuals are disappointing. It’s not photorealistic rendering in 3d, and a fair amount of screen-door affect on the edges on paint details of models. My 4K 32” monitor looks pretty great in comparison. I’m not sure why the visuals aren’t better.

But... VR is still a great way to sim. For me, it has a more realistic feel to it overall. (I think if you’re using any of the auto zoom /tracking functions this is the case) It’s something to do with how the Heli moves relative to you in the virtual space. For my small mind it changes how the Heli acts and is closer to the real world.

My setup will have to do for now, it’s working out and going to a higher resolution headset probably would need a new graphics card...

I haven’t tried a really big display (much bigger than 32”) but some are really happy with a +70” TV. So VR may not be the only option.
Ants likes this.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
I’m currently using a GTX1070 with a Samsung Odyssey+. I’m getting good frame rates / latency with SteamVR set to 150% resolution per eye (1764x2212 px) and 90 FPS.
Thanks for the info, based on your comment I just ordered a used 1070 instead of 1060, just in case a 1060 wont cut it, I am sure others will find your info useful too!

When I get it all setup I'll report back how it runs and looks on the slightly higher res of the Oculus 2.

Thanks!
Ants
Old 04-25-2021, 07:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have heard that the processor can often be the bottleneck. I believe your GPU renders the image once and then the CPU renders it again. I have an overclocked RTX 2060. Even running at 200% resolution in steamVR, I am only using 60-70% of my GPU. When I was running at 150% before it was sitting down around 50%. I imagine the 1060 and the Rayzen 5 will be good enough.

Side note, I picked up my GPU in December of 2020. Definitely overpaid for it. Very frustrating what's going on with the price of GPU's. Not sure if its demand from people being at home more and wanting to build new PC's for video games or if people are buying them up to mine bitcoin and such. I have heard that Nvidia is going to lock their gaming cards such that they can not be used for mining, may help prices a little. Maybe one day I can upgrade my rig to a 3000 series, not holding my breath though.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-ether...not-be-hacked/
Ants likes this.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Prices are still going up, there is a shortage of chips, Nvidia are saying they expect to be short on production output for most of this year, and the increase of crypto value has seen greater demand for mining use, only the 3060 is crypto locked. I suspect people being stuck at home has also led to them upgrading PCs for games as they can't travel or other activities

Here in Australia, top end Nvidia 3xxx cards are going for 3x previous retail price. A used GTX 1060 6Gb goes for about AU$350-400 (US$275-315), and a used GTX 1070 8GB is about AU$475-525 (US$370-410), that is way over the retail price of a year ago. A few can be had cheaper if you find a bargain but it is a lot of searching the ads and listings, anything good value goes instantly. I paid the extra and went with the used 1070 as prices may go up even more and I just want to get one that is know to be ok'ish and stick with it until the madness subsides.

If you look at completed listings on ebay for a given model, you can see the price has risen steadily over the last 3-4 months, so take confort in that whatever you paid in Dec was cheaper than what you would pay now.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am running a RTX 2060. My first VR setup used Oculus Rift S Googles (12801440 per eye). I was able to run at 90 frames per second and 150% resolution in steam using Accu RC. It ran fine. Not sure what the GPU usage was as I never needed to check it. Although it was quite usable, I found the resolution somewhat lacking. I upgraded to the HP Reverb G2 (2160 x 2160 per eye) after a recommendation from a friend. To get it to run at 100% resolution at near 90 frames per second I had to overclock the card. Without overclocking I had to set the resolution at about 80%. HP documents the 2060 being able to run at half resolution and documents the 2060 Super as minimum spec for the Reverb googles. Overclocked the 2060 runs pretty consistently at about 90% GPU when simming with Accu RC. The difference between the Oculus and the Reverb is night and day, but it does need a pretty hefty graphics card. I would like to upgrade the 2060, but getting one this year seems like an impossibility right now.
Ants likes this.
ToonieRoll is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2021, 05:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

David,
I have been thinking of picking up the reverb G2 (if I can ever find it in stock). I am currently running a RTX 2080 and had wondered if it would be enough to get good results with AccuRC, so thanks for that information.

Anything you don't like about it?
wab223 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2021, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your RTX 2080 card should work great. My overclocked RTX 2060 runs on maximum detail and resolutions almost flawlessly.

The Reverb is a better headset than the Oculus Rift S, but also a lot more money. It has better optics, audio and is more comfortable to wear. I suppose I don't like the wire, but considering the amount of data being transmitted, I think anything wireless would be a compromise.

Did you look at the Oculus Quest 2? I don't think it is quite as good as the Reverb but looks quite good for the price.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

David,
Yeah, I looked at the Oculus and the Face Book thing put me off.

The HP Canada store had reverbs in stock so I finally pulled the plug.
I will OC my 2080 with msi afterburner if I feel it needs it.

I have been waiting years to try out VR.
thanks for the info.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Enjoy! Let us know what you think. A great first VR! Feel free to PM me if you have any issues. I can try to help.

Another positive for the Reverb over my old Oculus is the tracking. I had to turn the lights up with the Oculus. The Reverb needs very little light to function. I always felt weird simming with the googles on in a very bright room. It feels a lot more chill now.
wab223 likes this.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by StouffvilleDavid View Post
Your RTX 2080 card should work great. My overclocked RTX 2060 runs on maximum detail and resolutions almost flawlessly.
You were correct David. My 2080 runs AccuRC in VR smooth as butter. No graphical glitches what so ever. I won't need to OC the 2080.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab223 View Post
You were correct David. My 2080 runs AccuRC in VR smooth as butter. No graphical glitches what so ever. I won't need to OC the 2080.
Nice! How do you like it?
Old 05-04-2021, 04:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

David, its fantastic.

I wish sims had been like this years ago.
I was expecting visual clarity to be fairly poor when the helis moved away, as in when doing big circuits.
I will say the visual clarity is obviously not as good as my 1440p monitor. But as I have found the sweet spot with the headset position and tried different flying fields, there is no way I can go back to regular simming.

Its really a night and day comparison as far as the sim experience goes.
RedDeffern likes this.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
and tried different flying fields,
What fields do you find work best? I thought the generated ones like the Island and Stonehenge work better than the photo based ones for VR, but the generated ones also have lots of obsticles like the stones or trees right next to whre you are placed so dont have much room to fly.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I find the Olympic stadium works well. Nice open area. Unfortunately it becomes dull after a while. I agree the other ones have two many obstacles and I think were primarily made for FPV drones but I am not sure. I asked the developers if they were planning to add more 3D fields like a basic runway and they said they are working on adding them. Not sure when they will be added though.
Ants likes this.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ants,

I have been mostly comparing the open fields to find my worst case scenario for resolution at distance. Of the open areas I think the Global 3D field provides good enough clarity to fly large circuits with the Trex 450 heli and not lose orientation. I don't know if its the lighting on that field or what but to my eyes it just seems better than say runway when flying at distance. I am not saying the others are bad, infact I have been surprised, how well these headsets are performing, better than I imagined.

The helis do pop out more on Stongehenge, close in they are almost more real than real. I am certainly going to use that scenery more. One thing I have noticed is that helis don't seem as slippery through the air in Stonehenge as in the open fields. This might be a perception thing by having the big rocks close to the heli as a frame of reference for speed.
Could be my imagination too.

As an aside, I must have rode passed those megaliths literally hundreds of times on my motorcycles. I never stopped to take a look at the Henge.
Then one year a farmer built a Stonehenge copy from giant hay bales on the opposite side of the A303. I immediately stopped for a good look at that. 25 years later I can vividly remember the hale bales but have no recollection of what the Henge looked like.

Long answer, I know.

Ylvis - Stonehenge [Official music video HD] [Explicit lyrics] (3 min 56 sec)
Ants likes this.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDeffern View Post
I find the Olympic stadium works well. Nice open area. Unfortunately it becomes dull after a while. I agree the other ones have two many obstacles and I think were primarily made for FPV drones but I am not sure. I asked the developers if they were planning to add more 3D fields like a basic runway and they said they are working on adding them. Not sure when they will be added though.
Although I am very happy with the sim, new 3D fields would be great. There are plenty of good helis to choose from so adding scenery would be welcome. I get the feeling that implementing scenery is not a favorite task. Plus they have been working on improving planes and other platforms.

I would like a scenery of my backyard. I have crashed too many helis into my trees over the years. They should sell an addon kit to enable us implement our own photo fields.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
They should sell an addon kit to enable us implement our own photo fields.
If you have a high quality panorama, email it to us and we'll see what we can do in terms of adding it in.
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny31297 View Post
If you have a high quality panorama, email it to us and we'll see what we can do in terms of adding it in.
How do we do that?
Old 05-05-2021, 09:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Email to support[at]accurc[dot]com and we'll take a look. The precise GPS coordinates at which the pano was shot (for positioning of collision objects) and the height of the camera sensor above the ground (for virtual camera placement) are infos we'd be very grateful for as well.

I can't guarantee you that we'll put your panos in, but if they conform to our quality standards, nothing holding us back besides our schedule.
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
accurc, oculus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in