Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > HobbyWing ESC's

HobbyWing ESC's HobbyWing ESC Support

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2021, 07:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
do you have any means to check the actual throttle signal values going to the ESC?
Alternatively, do you have a servo tester you could use to do the throttle range calibration?

I have only seen the response to my TX throttle movement in the Spirit software. I set the range there as per Spirit's recommendations. There is a throttle range adjustment possible on the Spirit governor settings. Right now it's set for a Castle Creations ESC, at 1060ms = 1940ms, but I'm not using the Spirit governor.

I'm not clear on how I'd use a servo tester to do the throttle range calibration. Can you refer me to a link?
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2021, 07:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys-heli View Post
what tx?

FrSky Horus X12S running OpenTX. I'm using the option to extend output limits from -150 to +150.
I have no problems controlling multiple helis with this transmitter.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why would you use the castle range if you’re using a hobby wing ESC?
Old 05-07-2021, 04:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassinThru View Post
I'm not clear on how I'd use a servo tester to do the throttle range calibration. Can you refer me to a link?

You simply use the servo tester to create the high and low pwm signal for the ESC needed for the throttle range calibration (instead of using TX,RX, Flight Controller):
  • blades off
  • motor connected to ESC
  • connect ESC to the servo tester
  • turn servo tester to the right (high output)
  • power ESC with lipo
  • wait for beeps
  • turn servo tester to low
  • wait for beeps
  • disconnect lipo
as described in the HW paper named Platinum80A-120A-V4en.pdf.

Your servo tester might cover a range larger than the intended [1000;2000]us; then the ESC may not arm properly when connected to the RX. If so, then repeat but use only partial range of servo tester.

I presume you do not have a pwm meter (to measure the signal values used for communication between RX, servos, ESC etc.)
a) some multimeters also allow frequency and % measurements

b) Maybe your FC is capable to display its input values on the PC setup program? Then you could connect the FC to your servo tester and find the endpoints to cover just the [1000;2000] range. Mark those and the centerpoint 1500 on your servotester, you will need that for future setups

Last edited by hamburger; 05-07-2021 at 05:19 AM..
hamburger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2021, 08:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have only seen the response to my TX throttle movement in the Spirit software. I set the range there as per Spirit's recommendations. There is a throttle range adjustment possible on the Spirit governor settings. Right now it's set for a Castle Creations ESC, at 1060ms = 1940ms, but I'm not using the Spirit governor.

Change those settings to 1940/1100 for your HW. The FBL unit is still in control of passing the throttle signal though whether you are using the Spirit gov or not, and the endpoints need to be set properly for the ESC you are using with any FBL unit
Old 05-10-2021, 10:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Change those settings to 1940/1100 for your HW. The FBL unit is still in control of passing the throttle signal though whether you are using the Spirit gov or not, and the endpoints need to be set properly for the ESC you are using with any FBL unit

I changed those settings as advised but that didn't do it.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:10 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You simply use the servo tester to create the high and low pwm signal for the ESC needed for the throttle range calibration (instead of using TX,RX, Flight Controller):
  • blades off
  • motor connected to ESC
  • connect ESC to the servo tester
  • turn servo tester to the right (high output)
  • power ESC with lipo
  • wait for beeps
  • turn servo tester to low
  • wait for beeps
  • disconnect lipo
as described in the HW paper named Platinum80A-120A-V4en.pdf.

Your servo tester might cover a range larger than the intended [1000;2000]us; then the ESC may not arm properly when connected to the RX. If so, then repeat but use only partial range of servo tester.

I presume you do not have a pwm meter (to measure the signal values used for communication between RX, servos, ESC etc.)
a) some multimeters also allow frequency and % measurements

b) Maybe your FC is capable to display its input values on the PC setup program? Then you could connect the FC to your servo tester and find the endpoints to cover just the [1000;2000] range. Mark those and the centerpoint 1500 on your servotester, you will need that for future setups

My transmitter's OpenTX Output page shows middle frequency of 1500 microsecs and allows up to an extended range of -150 to +150%. This far exceeds the values the Spirit 2 wants to see and still didn't arm the ESC.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

maybe you have the master and slave wires reversed.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:49 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys-heli View Post
maybe you have the master and slave wires reversed.
I admit that this happened to me with my first HW ESC and I spent hours trying to solve it. I was used to the color of the wires on the slave/throttle of my previous ESC and managed to mix up the throttle and the slave plugs on the HW into the ESC out of habit.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
My transmitter's OpenTX Output ... far exceeds the values the Spirit 2 wants to see and still didn't arm the ESC.
what happens when you connect the ESC to the RX directly, eliminating the Spirit2?
Old 05-15-2021, 07:53 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
what happens when you connect the ESC to the RX directly, eliminating the Spirit2?

Hey Hamburger, I connected the ESC cable to the throttle channel on the RX and .......ZAM! POW! the beeps I was waiting for sounded and the motor spun up after moving the stick back up!!!! I'm so EXCITED!
You are my Hero.
Now I'll have to see about working with this instead of connecting to the Spirit 2.

This was worth the Helifreak subscription cost all by itself.
Xrayted likes this.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:24 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok, so your problem lies within the Spirit2 configuration and/or wiring coming in and/or wiring going out.
good luck
Old 05-16-2021, 10:00 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes. So it would appear. I am going over the Spirit setup to see if I can find the problem. So far everything in the Spirit setup matches what I'm doing with the TX. We'll see.

Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:43 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

wiring?
Old 05-17-2021, 09:04 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go to the Diagnostic tab in the Spirit setup and verify the throttle bar is moving. That will rule out any potential wiring setup issues.

Make sure its giving you zero throttle so the ESC will arm, and you already have the proper HW endpoint values 1100/1940 set in, so you should be good to go if so.

The only thing that would keep the motor from arming and running when powering up through the Spirit would be if the ESC isnt seeing zero, and in this case it will just beep. If so, try and lower the 1100 value in the Spirit gov tab slowly one click at a time and see if it will arm at any point along the way down.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:08 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Plug a servo into the spirit output to verify what the throttle signal is doing. I haven't used spirit, but maybe throttle channel reversed? You should be able to get the esc to at least start now even if its not calibrated exactly to the fbl
Futaba 16SZ/Jeti DS12
Stevecg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2021, 04:34 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is one anomaly I've noticed, and that is that the throttle bar on the Spirit Diagnostic Tab doesn't move when I flick on throttle hold, though the numerical reading does change to -10% (on a 0-100% range).

The other throttle settings for different flight modes and for autoration all correspond to what I've programmed into the TX.

On the Receiver Channel Mapping page, throttle hold doesn't move the bar either, though all the other throttle inputs seem to correspond.
This would seem to indicate that the receiver may not see a proper zero throttle, except I am able to spool up the motor.

When I took it out to the field this morning for an rpm standardization with blades on, it did spool up but not nearly as much as I expected. Unfortunately, I do not remember if I turned the ESC off and back on before trying the governor on higher throttle settings. It did not seem to make a difference. That is, the headspeed didn't seem to change from the rpm standardization 50% setting.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:55 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

So just to confirm, you are using flat TC values for each of your flight modes and desired RPM values on the HW governor after doing the calibration/standardization with a linear 0-100. Also, did you do the standardization with a fully charge pack? That is one mistake that will get you lower than expected RPM. You do need to unplug the pack and reboot the system after the process before trying to fly.

I just connected one of my models up out of curiosity, and it shows 12% throttle in the Diag tab with TH on. I have the 12% value for TH set into my TX on purpose as that is needed for the auto rotation function to operate properly, so in my case the Diag tab is showing exactly whatever is active in my TC curve values. The values shown with TH turned off are exactly the same flat values I have set in for my three flight modes.

I also always set up throttle cut on all my models as a secondary arming switch just in case TH were to be accidentally hit, and the Spirit software shows -15% throttle when activating TC. I have an alarm when powering on set in if both TC and TH are not active, so Im always starting with below zero throttle values with both switches on

I tested again with the TC turned off and TH on, and it booted and started the motor just fine with the 12% throttle value no differently than normal with which was unexpected, however I noticed the low throttle setting in the Spirit gov page is set to 1040, not 1100, so it appears the lower Spirit value is canceling out the higher value in my TX so the ESC will arm? Its been a few years since I set this one up and dont recall exactly the logic behind all of the specific settings back then, but it works fine.

At least you know your wiring isnt the issue or you wouldn't see the throttle tab moving ever

Last edited by Xrayted; 05-17-2021 at 05:21 PM..
Xrayted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2021, 12:42 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevecg View Post
Plug a servo into the spirit output to verify what the throttle signal is doing. I haven't used spirit, but maybe throttle channel reversed? You should be able to get the esc to at least start now even if its not calibrated exactly to the fbl

I would like to try what you suggest but I don't know what a Spirit output is so I can't plug a servo into it. Would it work to connect the ESC cable into a servo tester?
Old 05-18-2021, 01:08 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
So just to confirm, you are using flat TC values for each of your flight modes and desired RPM values on the HW governor after doing the calibration/standardization with a linear 0-100. Yes, though standardization is done with 50% throttle and zero pitch. Also, did you do the standardization with a fully charge pack? Yes. That is one mistake that will get you lower than expected RPM. You do need to unplug the pack and reboot the system after the process before trying to fly. Yes. I redid that process with no change.

I just connected one of my models up out of curiosity, and it shows 12% throttle in the Diag tab with TH on. I have the 12% value for TH set into my TX on purpose as that is needed for the auto rotation function to operate properly, so in my case the Diag tab is showing exactly whatever is active in my TC curve values. The values shown with TH turned off are exactly the same flat values I have set in for my three flight modes. That is my experience also. The numerical values do correspond. It's just that the throttle bars in both the Diagnostic tab and in the Receiver Channel Mapping page do not move when applying TC/TH (one switch in my setup).

I also always set up throttle cut on all my models as a secondary arming switch just in case TH were to be accidentally hit, and the Spirit software shows -15% throttle when activating TC. I agree that's a good belt and suspenders way of preventing unintended spoolups. I am considering a similar setup for my helis as well, though I've never accidentally flipped the TC switch off while powered up (knocking on birch) I have an alarm when powering on set in if both TC and TH are not active, so Im always starting with below zero throttle values with both switches on

I tested again with the TC turned off and TH on, and it booted and started the motor just fine with the 12% throttle value no differently than normal with which was unexpected, however I noticed the low throttle setting in the Spirit gov page is set to 1040, not 1100, so it appears the lower Spirit value is canceling out the higher value in my TX so the ESC will arm? With your TH throttle setting at 12% and TC (with a -15% throttle setting) turned off, why would you not expect your ESC to arm? Its been a few years since I set this one up and dont recall exactly the logic behind all of the specific settings back then, but it works fine.

At least you know your wiring isnt the issue or you wouldn't see the throttle tab moving ever
That's what I am also assuming.

This is my first Spirit 2.

I am also using a microSpirit, a Spirit Pro and a Spirit on other helis with the same TX, with no issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in