Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > AccuRC Flight Sim

AccuRC Flight Sim AccuRC Flight Sim Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Ants
  • 1 Post By RedDeffern
  • 1 Post By Ants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2021, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thoughts having used VR for a few days

Hi,

I started the recent thread 'What Graphics Card for VR' and there was some great information coming out in there, having now had a VR setup a few days I thought I'd post my thoughts and questions. Apologies in advance for the length and detail, but it is all the things I wish I had known before, so hopefully this will be useful for anyone considering VR, or already has it.

VR definatley gives you a much better depth perception, e.g. if you have ever tried the training mode where you hover over the moving target, in desktop 2d viewing I used to watch the dot under the heli to see where it was in relation to the moving target (directly in front of you wasn't too bad but at each side or as it got higher I found it difficult to judge). With VR I can watch the heli and determine its relative location to the target regardless of in front or to the side or height.

The VR image does not appear as detailed as the desktop, I am running highest setting on all the AccuRC graphics options. Running in 1920x1080 on the desktop vs 18321920 per eye in VR on the Oculus 2, so I thought the VR would be in greater detail but for example, the Oxy 5 (in starting position, some rudder just to rotate it side on) at the Olympic stadium, on desktop I can read the 'Oxy heli" written on the boom, in VR I can only make out the rough shape of the blur spells that becuse I know what it is. Likewise the red "Stadium" signs on the stands at each end of the stadium, in desktop I can clearly read that text, in VR I can read it but the "i" in "Stadium" gets a little blurred in with the neighbouring letters.

Overall VR is a better experience, I just tried the 2d desktop flying again and lost the will to do it (so I guess I wont be using Heli-X then that I also used to use...). It feels less connected and less real, but when in VR I do spend the whole time wishing the picture was better resolution / clearer. I just dont understand how it looks lower resolution when it is actually higher, maybe its becuase all those pixels are squashed closer together and smaller in a VR headset display than larger and spread out on a big monitor? Or maybe there is some other issue that is causing it to not run in the full resolution of the VR display?

With regards to flying distance, the Olympic stadium field is probably about the limit for Oxy 5 / Trex 550 sized (Oxy 5 canopy is easier to see), as I get towards or into the stands I am trying harder to determine oriantation.

I have tried starting AccuRC in both SteamVR and OculusVR modes, and can tell no difference between them, I contacted AccurRC support and they said there were not aware of any difference between them so I have no idea why there are two options. In Oculus mode I have tried the Oculus Rendering setting on 0.8x, 1x, and 1.5x and cannot see any difference between them, so I am also not sure what the difference is between the Oculus rendering modes or if there is a problem. Has anyone else been able to determine a difference between them or Oculus VR vs SteamVR modes?

I wear progressive lens glasses (multifocals), and I knew in advance these would not bring all the viewing area into focus at the same time as the top is long distance and bottom is near distance, so I was expecting to need to get prescription lenses made that clip into the headset for uniform focus. I was going to order them in advance, but glad I didnt; all the VR headset lens suppliers ask for your distance prescription, but I find the middle of my glasses lens is most in focus, this is not the distance part of the glasses lens / prescription but somewhere between far and near distance, this ties in with what I have since read that the Oculus has a focal distance of around 2m. I have queried this with all the VR lens suppliers, most didn't reply, but 'VROptician.com' sent a reply talking about red green testing which I didnt understand but basically said check with your optician first. 'Widmover.com' said they normally use distance but some customers get better results with an intermediate prescription. I will go see my optician and see what they recommend, but if you are thinking of VR lenses then be careful what you order, it is not as clear cut as it seems. And no I do not think the lens thing is what is making the VR less detailed. Around the edges yes but I can explicitly find the area in the middle of the lens that gives clear focus (in both AccuRC and other VR environments, it just menas that for now I need to move my head to keep the heli in that sweet viewing spot, as outside of that area it is blurry.

Having to use AccuRC on the desktop to change models, scenery or settings, and taking the headset off and on to do that is a pain, I asked AccuRC if they are going to add those into the VR view rather than needing to use the desktop, they said yes but no timeframe on when.

Hardware for referance; I first tried it on a Nvidia 960 4GB, 4th gen intel i5 with 8GB which was more than enough for AccuRC on the deskop, but would not even load properley in VR. Same CPU and upgraded to Nvidia 1070 8GB and VR ran but has some freezing of frames, it might work if you played with graphic options, but I didnt try and just upgraded to an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 16GB, with the Nvidia 1070, and that runs AccuRC very smooth, and also other PC based VR applications I have tried so far. I first used it via a USB cable, and now use it wireless (beta feature just beed added in new Oculus firware last week) connected to a dedicated 5GHz AC1700 access point and in use I cant visually tell the difference between the 2 connection types, framerates and detail appear identical (but on wireless I need to remember to charge it, on USB cable I get the cable tangled even just sitting at my desk.

Sorry it was so looong, hopefuly helped someone, and keen to hear other VR users comments, espically on the resolution / detail issue.
slogoat and Beserkr like this.
Ants is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2021, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I agree with everything you said. The VR experience is far better overall and I can already feel myself progressing faster IRL than before. In fact, I recently went straight from siming in VR to the monitor and it made me sick. I think my brain was not adjusted back to the 2d visuals and was confused. I am slightly disappointed in the graphics as well but I was expecting that going into it. I think a better headset would help but in reality, the technology just needs to develop further. I believe this will be the primary focus of RC simulators moving forward as the mind-muscle connection builds much faster when you add depth perception into the equation based on my experience so far. I don't think I can go back to 2d siming even though I miss the beautiful scenery and graphics. I am looking forward to some new 3D flying locations in AccuRC as the stadium is dull but its the only one that works well for me.
Ants likes this.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDeffern View Post
I think a better headset would help but in reality, the technology just needs to develop further.
I am not sure what tech needs to develop, the Oculus 2 has a resolution higher than my desktop monitor, and other games on it including other PC based VR look better than AccuRC. Has anyone tried Next in VR, is it any better?

Has anyone found what the Resolution settings in Oculus are for?
Old 05-08-2021, 04:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ants,
I am super glad I bought my Reverb, at the price it cost I would shout if I was not. But yeah the tech still needs to improve.

i.e as you described, the viewing sweet spot could be larger on your headset. I noticed that on mine too.
Also when the heli moves away, the visual effect is like antialiasing is decreasing as the distance increases.

I hope I don't put anyone off VR because as I said the Reverb G2 is awesome for me. Pricey but awesome. A big improvement on 2D simming.

You mention some performance issues. Have you thought about overclocking your 1070?
GPUs are easy to overclock and you are practically guaranteed a performance boost. Check out msi afterburner on you tube if you're interested.
Depending on your GPU model you may even be able to flash a different bios from a more performant model. That's a bit more scary mentally than a simple software overclock if you have not done it before. I was able to boost my old 1070 gaming with a reflash in that way, but you will have to research your GPU model.
wab223 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2021, 05:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I remember correctly, I read one time that the pixelated or screen door effect, with distance, in VR won't disappear until 8K per eye resolutions are available due to the closeness of the screen to your eye.
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2021, 06:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
If I remember correctly, I read one time that the pixelated or screen door effect, with distance, in VR won't disappear until 8K per eye resolutions are available due to the closeness of the screen to your eye.
That's what I was trying to get to, we need more pixels in the same amount of area. I found turning GPU anti-aliasing and increasing the resolution to 200% helped for me. Like I said, I can't go back to 2D now. For $300 for the Rift S, you cant beat it.

We've taken a step leap in technology but we are still in the tube monitor phase, it will be some time before we get to the 4k ultrawide curved monitor phase
Old 05-08-2021, 07:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
I think I might be painting a more negative picture of the reverb than I should. I just like to point out the limitations to let people know ahead what to expect.
The screen door to me would look like viewing the image through a mesh or a screen. At no time do I see that on AccuRC. I just see the straight lines and edges of images becoming more jagged (reduced anti aliasing) at distance.

Also when I mentioned the viewing sweet spot, I actually have to look to my extreme right or left while flying to see where the sweet spot ends and the image is not as clear. When focusing on the heli as I do when flying I do not notice this sweet spot. I had to go and look for it.

Having said that I do not think I would be happy with a headset that provided any less resolution. I think I waited the right amount of time for me to get something I would be happy with. So its a fine line and others may totally disagree, hence my apprehension to tell people its all perfect.
wab223 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2021, 07:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab223 View Post
You mention some performance issues. Have you thought about overclocking your 1070?
The perfromance issue were on the original 960 2GB, once I went to the 1070 8GB it became useable, and I then also upgraded the older i5 to a Ryzen 5 2600 and new MB, RAM, M.2 SSD etc and that combo has plenty of power. I have overclocked the R5 and 1070 for fun but I found it doesnt need it for AccurRC VR, I can run in the target 70FPS at 90% grafx utilisation.
wab223 likes this.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I found turning GPU anti-aliasing and increasing the resolution to 200% helped for me.
Do you mean in AccuRC, Hardware AA and AntiAlias = High? , Or a setting on the graphics card?

Where do you set the resolution to 200%?
Old 05-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ants View Post
Do you mean in AccuRC, Hardware AA and AntiAlias = High? , Or a setting on the graphics card?

Where do you set the resolution to 200%?
I turned on hardware AA and under steam VR settings you can adjust the resolution per eye. Not sure exactly why this helps but 150% to 200% resolution per eye seemed to help overall if your GPU can handle it. Could also just be a placebo effect....
Old 05-10-2021, 05:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I turned on hardware AA and under steam VR settings you can adjust the resolution per eye. Not sure exactly why this helps but 150% to 200% resolution per eye seemed to help overall if your GPU can handle it. Could also just be a placebo effect....
I imagine that is the same thing as non-vr where the game will render to a resolution your screen can't display then shrink it back down ... helps with anti-aliasing ... its called super something can't remember what (super scan maybe or super sampling ... something like that).
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2021, 04:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Super sampling I believe

Tags
oculus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in