Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > AccuRC Flight Sim

AccuRC Flight Sim AccuRC Flight Sim Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BrokeDad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2021, 07:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Simulators and VR

Apologies for yet another VR thread but I didn't want to hi-jack anyone.

This is more out of curiosity really and shows my ignorance, but in an RC simulator, what does VR give you.

Is the aim to provide a FPV cockpit view like you would get flying a quadcopter.

Or is the aim to providing a head-tracking view from a pilot standing beside the flightline.

Or indeed both.

I'm not really interested in FPV but I might be interested in a more immersive flightline experience. So rather than the screen following the plane around, I follow it by looking at it so that I have the opportunity of looking at the aircraft but then quickly glancing at the strip, just like I do in real life, so I know where they both are relative to each other.

Cheers,

Nigel
nheather is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2021, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nigel,

for me its a more immersive and believable head-tracking view from the perspective of the pilot standing beside the flight line. And yes you crank your neck around as you follow the heli.
wab223 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2021, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

one thing simulators struggle with is how the camera tracks the model, in the real world you follow with your eyes a fair bit before moving your head.

vr gives you that back.

if you watch this video which was recorded in VR you will hopefully see what I mean

Accurc - Kraken Nitro (2 min 19 sec)

Ade
Ade_Law is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2021, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, that sounds interesting.

What VR headsets should I be considering.

I have a GTX 1660Ti as my graphics card.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 05-11-2021, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

theres a whole thread on that here somewhere, its very "piece of string" kinda question depending mostly on your budget
Ade_Law is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2021, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The new Vive 2 Pro headset just became available for pre-order. Says 5K resolution.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/11/2...er-price-specs
wab223 likes this.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2021, 06:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
The new Vive 2 Pro headset just became available for pre-order. Says 5K resolution.

[/URL]
Valve made the lenses for the Reverb G2 which I think is pretty good. Add a 40% increase in resolution and wider field of view, this should be really good.

It might need a 3080 to take full advantage of the resolution at 120Hz refresh though.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes, I appreciate that it is a very subjective matter.

It's just that I've not had any interest in them for a long time so I am so out of touch. Last time I looked was years ago and the market was pretty much dominated by Occulus. I did at the time try a Rift but didn't go ahead because
  1. My graphics card at the time wasn't good enough
  2. I realised I didn't have enough open space for the full experience

Since then, not paid much attention so I'm unaware of how the market has moved on. I am aware that there was some concerns about Facebook buying Occulus and forcing Facebook membership and restricted what applications you could use but I don't know how that panned out in the end.

But I have been thinking about it recently, and realise that I'm more interested in VR when sat at the desk for space sims, flight sims and now RC simulators. I'm not that fussed about the full interaction, being stood up, moving around and with hand controls- besides I don't really have sufficient clear space for that sort of thing.

But I guess you can't buy just headsets on their own.

Also I'm unclear what sensor bases I need if I am just using headset - do I still need all the sensor bases, or just one or even none.

Finally, I need reading glasses - would I need to wear them with the headset or can you get insert lens for headsets.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 05-12-2021, 07:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am new to VR but I read a lot.
Some headsets, like the reverb, do all the tracking inside the headset using multiple cameras. These headsets can be bought with just controllers or on their own. The reverb does not have good tracking as say the valve headset with its dedicated tracking equipment.

If all you want to do is sim and not play VR games then to my mind this is pro not a con as there is less to setup. The controller tracking does not come into play when simming.

You can define the virtual room for using the headset practically as small as you like and it takes about 30 seconds. At least that was the case for me.

I don't know that model GPU but a quick google puts it around the 1070 performance wise. You should get decent performance with most headsets but do your own research to confirm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in