Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 900 Mhz backup

Last year I switched from Vbar to Jeti. The primary reason is my flying field has a cell tower right across the street. I and others who use different hardware have had interference problems and lost aircraft (including myself).

Since switching to Jeti I have not had a problem. I just finished a Diabolo 700 and wanted to learn if anyone is using Jeti's 900 Mhz receiver as a backup? If so how did you mount the antenna?

Thanks!
xcell1600 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2021, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've not used it myself, but somebody asked that question on the Jeti facebook group last week and had a ton of really good responses from folks flying expensive planes and making full use of the 2.4Ghz connection and 900 backup.

There were multiple reports of people having tested the failover and found it working well in test, as well as several people who had actually had planes saved because of it. There were at least four reports of it having saved models, and not a bad word against it.

My current Jeti doesn't support 900, but as I move up to bigger planes and helis a new radio is definitely going to be on my wishlist. Seems like a really well thought out idea, and well executed too.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the main concern is how to plug 2 receivers into the FBL unit?
BuildFlyCrashRepeat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2021, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I use and Axon and I believe it has that functionality.

Good point!
xcell1600 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2021, 01:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildFlyCrashRepeat View Post
I think the main concern is how to plug 2 receivers into the FBL unit?
The backup receiver connects to your other receiver, Jeti implemented the ability to failover to 900Mhz on loss of 2.4Ghz signal in the receiver itself.

http://www.jetimodel.com/en/Question...-serial-line-/

So you have a normal 2.4Ghz receiver connected to your FBL, and the 900Mhz acts like a satellite receiver, connecting to one of your EX ports on the 2.4Ghz receiver.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2021, 01:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just did a bit of digging into this, and TeroS over at RCThoughts.com wrote some excellent articles on this back in 2016. Well worth a read:

https://www.rc-thoughts.com/2016/07/...-instant-love/

https://www.rc-thoughts.com/2016/08/...vbar-with-udi/
Old 05-17-2021, 01:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcell1600 View Post
...Since switching to Jeti I have not had a problem. I just finished a Diabolo 700 and wanted to learn if anyone is using Jeti's 900 Mhz receiver as a backup? If so how did you mount the antenna?

Thanks!
Hi,

i do not (!) want to put in question your decision, really just curious: why do you want to use the 900Mhz backup? anything related to your special air field as you mentioned? did you have any problems with signal quality on Jeti?

i am using i.e. Rex3 on Diabolo and never any signal problem even when doing speed runs (they go a bit farther away than normal flying). but i've used the 20cm antennas and mounted them to be 45 backwards on each side on the frame (rear upper frame end, directly below canopy) - so really perfectly visible. never seen Q below 100%, A1/2 below 5 (every ~5th flight, rest never below 6). btw: first i was thinking about 900NG backup too...

before Jeti (with Spektrum) i have used a full Rx plus a sat... the Rx was on the back plate with antenna pointing 45 backwards above tail tube, the sat was positioned on the front landing bow mount, antenna pointing downwards in front of the bow... this was the best position (from what i've tested) to give minimum of fades.

Ciao
Michael
Old 05-17-2021, 08:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid121 View Post
Hi,

i do not (!) want to put in question your decision, really just curious: why do you want to use the 900Mhz backup? anything related to your special air field as you mentioned? did you have any problems with signal quality on Jeti?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcell1600 View Post
Last year I switched from Vbar to Jeti. The primary reason is my flying field has a cell tower right across the street. I and others who use different hardware have had interference problems and lost aircraft (including myself).

Since switching to Jeti I have not had a problem. I just finished a Diabolo 700 and wanted to learn if anyone is using Jeti's 900 Mhz receiver as a backup?
Thanks!
I think the OP’s field is close to a cell tower & it has caused problems for another radio system.

It sounds like he’s been free of issues (as might be expected) after switching to Jeti.

And it sounds like he’s finishing up a Diabolo build. For me I’d be thrilled and want to protect my new prize possession from harm any way possible!

But fears remain strong from the old radio system. I suspect if he’s coming from another brand that pushes using multiple satellites as a safety net, the OP may still be in that method of thinking. Because Jeti makes it so easy, there’s no harm in adding a second receiver on 900 MHz or 2.4Ghz. Except for the cost of the equipment and the extra weight on the helicopter.

I’ve never heard of anyone actually using a second receiver on a Heli. Good to know it’s easily done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in