Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By ticedoff8
  • 1 Post By Gyropilot
  • 3 Post By jhamel
  • 1 Post By jhamel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2021, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Throttle Teflon Mod

Hi,

I don't have a Spektrum radio as such but I do have a Real Flight Interlink controller which is made by Spektrum, presumably based on the lower end range.

The throttle is using the smother tensioner but there is a small amount of stiction which I understand is fairly usual and is commonly cured by putting a Teflon (or PTFE) material on the surface of the tensioner.

I've seen suggestions using multiple layers of plumbers tape, self-adhesive tape, T-Shirt pressing paper, furniture glide pads.

I want to use PTFE (Telfon) plastic which is freely available on eBay in a range of different thicknesses. It is not self adhesive so will be held in place at the ends by shrink wrap.

Where I need help is what is the best thickness to buy - there is a wide range available. I've heard 1mm, 2mm, whilst sticky and plumbers tape would be well under a millimetre.

Cheers,

Nigel
nheather is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

As thin as you can find it and 1mm would be too thick.
The "plumber's tape" is paper thin (maybe even thinner) but also not very durable.
jhamel, Gyropilot and nheather like this.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2021, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
As thin as you can find it and 1mm would be too thick.
The "plumber's tape" is paper thin (maybe even thinner) but also not very durable.
Thanks, that's more like I would have thought. I would have thought that plumbers tape is too thin and fragile but I saw a few people saying 2mm which sounds way to thick.

So what do you use.

If going thinner I'd think the self adhesive PTFE tape would be the best - although I've just looked at some and it appears to have a texture (a weave) so maybe not.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 05-15-2021, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nigal,

This is what I used on my Spektrum DX9 transmitter…

CS Hyde PTFE Mouse Tape, Tan Color

Works beautifully. Very durable and super slippery.

John L.
jhamel likes this.
Gyropilot is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2021, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyropilot View Post
CS Hyde PTFE Mouse Tape, Tan Color

Works beautifully. Very durable and super slippery.

+1

That Mouse tape will make your inexpensive RealFlight controller feel like a high end Jeti radio. Since using the Mouse tape modification, I've leaned that tacking the mouse tape to the metal plate itself works just as well as tacking it to the half-moon mechanism. Tacking the mouse tape to the metal plate is much easier than tacking it to the half moon mechanism.

These are pics of my old "work harder not smarter" way I used to apply the mouse tape. I would cut a strip of tape to size, and tack it to the to half moon mechanism. There was a bit of trial and error (and a bit of frustration) getting the mouse tape to the correct size.

Jeti radio

VBC Touch radio

Real Flight Interlink USB controller

Now, I tack the mouse tape directly to the metal plate itself.
Weule, Gyropilot and nheather like this.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’ve done a mod and it isn’t quite working as I imagined.

I’ve not used tape, I used 0.25mm PTFE sheet held in place at each end with heat shrink. I did buy 0.5mm first but it felt far too thick so I’m puzzled that some are recommending 2mm. I did a very neat job if I say so myself.

I reassembled and put a new smear of silicon grease between the curved plastic surface and the PTFE. All good so far, tried it, buttery smooth, maybe fine maybe a little loose for my liking. So I tried the smooth tension screw but I can screw it all the way in and all the way out and the tension just change (or if is it then it is imperceptible).

Any ideas - is it that it is tightening but the PTFE is so slick it is not having any effect?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 05-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My best guess is that just because it is a PTFE modification, it does not necessarily mean it will be an optimal modification with guaranteed improvement. I only have experience with the PTFE mouse tape modification. This mouse tape has an adhesive backing, so firmly adheres to the surface in question (I've only tested on the half moon mechanism and now on the metal plate), so there is no play or tape stretching or bunching up issues. I've had a very positive result using this mouse tape on every single radio I've modified (Jeti, VBC, Spektrum, and Futaba). I don't know how well other types of "Teflon" modifications would work, especially without adhesive backing firmly adhering the tape in place.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The following tape works very well. It is adhesive backed and is 0.0065mm thick. Do not use grease. You are relying on the Teflon for a consistent sliding resistance.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V411D6/
Old 05-23-2021, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think it is a tape versus PTFE sheet issue. The PTFE sheet is held in place extremely well and is not going anywhere.

It's more like the contact pressure between the curved surface and the PTFE is not increasing, or if it is increasing it is not really having any impact.

I'll take it apart again to see if I can see what is happening.

If I can't see anything obvious, I'll get some mouse tape.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited by nheather; 05-23-2021 at 01:49 PM..
Old 05-23-2021, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question about tape - the reason I didn't go for it is that the tape I had found, like this,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOOHUI-Temp...795846&sr=8-27

looks like it has a weave so doesn't look smooth.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 05-23-2021, 02:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’ve never tried that “weave” style PTFE tape. I’ve only used the smooth surface PTFE tape https://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-PTFE-.../dp/B003DZ16X4
nheather likes this.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
I’ve never tried that “weave” style PTFE tape. I’ve only used the smooth surface PTFE tape https://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-PTFE-.../dp/B003DZ16X4
Can't seem to find that in the UK anywhere, any listings on eBay are importing it in from the US at a silly price.

The stuff with a weave is everywhere, I just don't know whether that weave is external or whether it is inside and the surface is actually smooth.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 05-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

This was posted in the "Main" section by "crashcopterman" as the best and most durable tape to use:
Quote:
Easy peasy. Have done the mod to several radios, here’s the product you need;
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...e?item=25U0401

Quote:
Lee Valley Home
Slippery (Low-Friction) Tape Item 25U0401, Slippery Tape, 1" x 18', $19.50
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in