Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spektrum FBL System > Spektrum FC6250HX

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2021, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Getting Battery Volts from Dumb Battery

Hi Guys - I have the FC6250HX. Any idea on how I can connect a volt meter to this controller (either to the AUX or X-Bus) to get the voltage sent through telemetry to my transmitter? My planes have a "volt" connector on the receiver that allows me to get this voltage from non-Smart batteries and I love it. I'm not using a Smart ESC, but looking to do the same for my heli. Any thoughts?
kellymacdaddio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2021, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I believe the Fc6250 does not work like that. You’d need a receiver like the 4649T to which you can connect leads from your battery. Then the 4649T will send voltage telemetry to your Tx. That’s how I’ve done it on my Fusion 360. However that won’t work on the new 4651T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrokeDad likes this.
Fusion is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2021, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Done the same using the 4649T. I liked it because setup was so simple. I bought up some before they got discontinued. I'm sure you can still find one somewhere.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2021, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good to know, thanks guys!!!
Old 06-05-2021, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

A bit more information about what you are using for the ESC would be helpful.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2021, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
A bit more information about what you are using for the ESC would be helpful.

Don
Castle Talon 90. I saw where there is a $50 Castle telemetry add-on available, but I would rather change to a Spektrum ESC for that cost.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I am using those in my iKON2 setups with Castle ESCs and with one FC6250HX and a Castle 160A ESC. If Spektrum comes out with a 160, I would switch the Castle 160 over to it as it would give me more flight mode capability for F3C. For you, either way will get you the telemetry info you need. Take care.

Don
kellymacdaddio likes this.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I came here to post the EXACT same question and I find this thread to be the very first one in this sub forum. So in a nutshell, flight pack voltage telemetry basically isn't possible with this FBL & receiver.

Bummer...
SPEKTRUM iX20
carlos64030 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2021, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos64030 View Post
I came here to post the EXACT same question and I find this thread to be the very first one in this sub forum. So in a nutshell, flight pack voltage telemetry basically isn't possible with this FBL & receiver.

Bummer...
It sounds like there is a way, but you just need to change out (or add) the older serial receiver. to get the proper connection. I hate that I have to go backwards to add functionality, but I haven't heard a better solution yet.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymacdaddio View Post
It sounds like there is a way, but you just need to change out (or add) the older serial receiver. to get the proper connection. I hate that I have to go backwards to add functionality, but I haven't heard a better solution yet.

I purchased this the other day, thinking I could get a voltage reading by plugging it in directly into one of the open 6250's ports, but then realized I would definitely fry it since the 6250 has a maximum voltage input of only 8.4V. Theoretically, this will work if the 6250 could handle more juice. I guess running a BEC in between would work?

SPEKTRUM iX20
carlos64030 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2021, 02:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos64030 View Post
I purchased this the other day, thinking I could get a voltage reading by plugging it in directly into one of the open 6250's ports, but then realized I would definitely fry it since the 6250 has a maximum voltage input of only 8.4V. Theoretically, this will work if the 6250 could handle more juice. I guess running a BEC in between would work?

That connector will fit perfect on the 4649T, after which your Tx has battery telemetry.

The FC6250HX itself can only relay battery telemetry (and perhaps rpm/amps?) if you use an Avian ESC. If you do that you don’t need the connector you purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fusion is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2021, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aphcxo0xys...203.0.pdf?dl=0

You can get full telemetry from your CC ESC with the ETC from RCLight Systems; I have one coming to get Amps consumptions in my setup (Avian 120-FC6250HX-dumb lipos).
Scroll down instructions page on the link and you'll find all the supported combinations of ESC/receiver
freeride1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2021, 04:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride1 View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aphcxo0xys...203.0.pdf?dl=0

You can get full telemetry from your CC ESC with the ETC from RCLight Systems; I have one coming to get Amps consumptions in my setup (Avian 120-FC6250HX-dumb lipos).
Scroll down instructions page on the link and you'll find all the supported combinations of ESC/receiver
Unfortunately, that’s a US$65 solution. The older 4649T serial receiver is in the lead right now at $35 used (plus a volt cable). Why this isn’t built-in is crazy to me.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Not every ESC out there supports all FBL systems equally so if you need to get an adaptor cable to get almost full functionality with the Talon, that is what is needed. Yes, there is the simple 4649T solution but it only gives you the battery voltage and fades, Frame Losses, and Holds. It doesn't round out the information available to you so using it vs. the Castle Spektrum Telemetry Link leaves a lot of information on the table. You will not need the voltage cable if you are monitoring the main flight pack plugged into the ESC. I also have used a 4649T to get battery voltage information only from an airplane I have so I have done exactly the same with one installation. I would rather that you have as much information at your fingertips as possible. It is really nice to see what rotor rpm your helicopter is turning so you can set it up for optimum performance. Take care.

Don
Old 06-06-2021, 07:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good point Don. I’m mainly in need of the voltage from the battery as I’ve gotten used to using that data in stead of a timer. However, that was for planes. RPMs for a heli would be good to know, but...how does an electronic system really know what the true RPMs are? Doesn’t the gear size and prop sizes change the RPMs, and how do ESCs actually know the head speed? I’ve always wondered how this works without a visual sensor.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

In the telemetry menu, there are places in the ESC portion of the setup screen where you put in the number of Poles and Gear Ratio. Now, honestly, I have had to fudge numbers on occasion as what I setup in the ESC (Castle Set RPM menu) was not always what should have been displayed. I had to fudge the numbers for my Heli-Babies so to give you the numbers, on one I had to choose a 10 pole motor (it should have been 8) and the gear ratio was 2:1 whereas the actual was 6:1. On the second, I had to go with 10 poles and 3.39:1 and both motors and voltages were identical. WHO KNEW? Anyway, you get used to finding workarounds where needed but I love the voltage readouts and the Amps used but that is because of the iKON2, not the 6250. I have not fully explored what I can display on my 6250 and the Avian 120 ESC but I will get to it one day. I know I can display current draws on pretty much any of the setups I have but only the iKON2 and Brain2 are configured at this time to take the current from most ESC's and total how much total current has been drawn. That does let me get the most out of packs that are getting close to retirement but are still good for general flying, not hardcore 3D. I have a new iX20 to get used to as it has far more display capability than the iX12 I was using. The data and voltage readouts have saved me a number of helicopters because of installing discharged packs or forgetting to swap out a discharged pack. Old age, trust me, it can be a bugger. Take care.

Don
kellymacdaddio likes this.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymacdaddio View Post
Unfortunately, that’s a US$65 solution. The older 4649T serial receiver is in the lead right now at $35 used (plus a volt cable). Why this isn’t built-in is crazy to me.
I agree with you about cost; I purchased one ETC just because I really want to fly based on mAh consumption...now I'm used to listen to Voltage instead of timer, but it's not accurate as mAh.
I think Spektrum/HH want their customer to buy all the Smart ecosystem; I have (and buying more) all HRB lipos and don't want to trash them (and charger) for smart batteries thet sell more than the double!
freeride1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

The battery types have nothing to do with the current readouts you get from telemetry. Smart batteries only allow a subset of data to become available that, while useful to some, has nothing to do with the current drawn or used in total. At this junction in time, the iKON2/Brain2 has a slightly better adaption of different radio systems to get telemetry but I have not even begun to see what can and can't be done with the 6250 and the iX series of radios. The next time I am out, I have set the current used option to voice to see if it works with my 6250/Avian setup. That will tell me if the 6250 has similar potential to the iKON2 for telemetry. I can always ask Brian to check with his cohorts in crime at Spektum about enabling a similar system to Castle as they are one of the ESCs that have current used data available. Time will tell.

Don
freeride1 likes this.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 6250HX with 4649T

I found a 4649T to use with a 6250HX for battery voltage. It will be a second satellite for the 6250HX if possible. I assume leads from the battery plug into the battery port, but do I connect the 4649T to an open port on the 6250HX or to the rx1 port?
A wiring diagram would be great! Anything special to bind?
btyler12000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2021, 04:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

The 4649T is not compatible with the 6250HX as it is SRXL2 and the 4649T is SRXL. It might work as a DSM2/DSMX remote receiver but it will not have any telemetry capability as the system can only work with one protocol or the other, not both. I don't know where you would have got the idea of using the 4649T. Take care.

Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in