Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By JimJW
  • 1 Post By JimJW
  • 1 Post By myxiplx
  • 1 Post By myxiplx
  • 2 Post By JimJW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2021, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Jeti and Telemetry

Probably a dumb question but I honestly donít know, so here goes.

Can you use any telemetry sensors with Jeti (FrSky ones for example) or can you only use Jeti ones.

Cheers,

Nigel
nheather is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2021, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jeti only supports EX and EXBUS based sensors directly. Higher end ESCs support one of the two (YGE xVT and some Kontronic). And telemetry comes over the connection to the FBL as well.

There are some DIY projects that have tapped into the EX/EXBUS as well.

What sensors are you looking for?
nheather likes this.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
Jeti only supports EX and EXBUS based sensors directly. Higher end ESCs support one of the two (YGE xVT and some Kontronic). And telemetry comes over the connection to the FBL as well.

There are some DIY projects that have tapped into the EX/EXBUS as well.

What sensors are you looking for?
Nothing in particular, just doing some research. Looking to replace my transmitter, never had telemetry before so not entirely sure what is good.

Open to any brand, so have looked at FrSky, Jeti, Spektrum and Futaba, from £300 to £1000+.

I donít mind spending decent money on a transmitter but I would rather not have a system that costs a fortune to put a receiver and telemetry into each aircraft.

Iíd assumed that battery voltage and RPM would be free, with the ESC and that any ESC would work. But from what you are saying is that I canít simply plug in any ESC and get the telemetry they provide.

Then when it comes to sensors, I wasnít sure whether they were like servos and se a common standard or whether they are specific to each radio brand.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 07-02-2021, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

What FBL do you fly? I’m flying Ikon2s.

I have telemetry on all my Heli’s (some don’t have mAh / Amps due to limitations of the ESC) I have Hobbywing, Castle, YGE and Kontronic (new) ESCs. The YGE / Kontronic both can integrate telemetry straight into the Jeti Receiver or through the Ikon. The Castle and Hobbywings plug into the FBL.

99% of the time this is all the telemetry that is wanted.
nheather likes this.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Every radio uses their own telemetry protocol, Jeti are one of the few vendors who openly publish the telemetry protocol, and have a LUA API available in the transmitter.

You'll find it's mostly Jeti sensors and receivers you use, but there are a good number of vendors out there supporting the Jeti EX-Bus protocol now, both for programming FBL units, and for telemetry.

My Spartan and Bain FBLs can both be programmed directly from the radio for example. And in the turbine world, it means you get manufacturers producing tools like the one in the screenshot from Aeropanda for managing the engine.

No, the receivers aren't cheap, but they're well made, and the reliability and quality control is second to none. You're not paying to beta test with Jeti, and that's something that's put me off the Juniper, RadioMaster and FrSky brands.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
nheather likes this.
myxiplx is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2021, 02:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Iím just trying to get my head around it - it is all speculative at the moment as my current radio doesnít support telemetry at all. Itís that Iím looking to buy a new transmitter, Iím open to all brands, but part of the consideration is the cost of fitting out each aircraft.

So what Iím hearing is that the FBL will pick up the telemetry from the ESC. I currently have BeastX with an RPM feed from the ESC. Planning my next helicopter too, thinking using a Brain 2.

I also fly fixed wing which donít have a FBL so any telemetry in those would have to be direct to the receiver.

An example of my thought process - I looked at VBAR as my next heli will be a Logo - looks great for helicopters but really expensive to put a receiver a cheap foamy fixed wing. So I have discounted VBAR.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 07-03-2021, 03:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My thinking is this. If I'm flying helis, I wouldn't trust any of the OpenTX radios. For quads, foamies and FPV they're superb, but there have been too many issues for me to risk an expensive Heli.

VBar as you say is Heli only, if that's all you fly it's again superb, but if you fly planes it's expensive, clunky and limited.

Spektrum is a darn good choice, you need to be aware of how to position satellites for good reception on a carbon Heli, and you need to use hot glue or similar to re-enforce the satellite cables, but it's solid and reliable. I don't like the iX radio range, too many bugs and issues, but the Gen2 traditional range are great and the NX range are a decent uplift on those. Factor in all the bind-n-fly models, safe mode, smart telemetry, and the thousands of people using them and they're a solid option.

Jeti is expensive, but superb for planes and helis. They're gaining presence in the Heli market and integrate with the old Spartan Vortex, the Brain, and Spirit FBL systems. Brain can pass ESC telemetry to the radio, and I believe Scorpion ESCs can talk directly to Jeti too. Jeti has the best telemetry and FBL setup support of any radio for helis, only VControl beats it, but that's Heli only.

Jeti's an investment, but everything (tx and Rx) is high quality and will likely outlive multiple models. I've not had to buy more receivers for a while now, I just transfer them from older models I'm retiring.

Jeti is also incredibly flexible, but also really easy to use. I do own a pair of Spektrum radios, but I hate having to program them for anything. They've a good interface, but it feels very old fashioned and clunky compared to Jeti.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Rabid121 likes this.
myxiplx is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2021, 06:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just remember when comparing the cost of receivers you only need to buy one for each Heli with Jeti. For Spektrum you’ll need to buy a telemetry RX, plus satellites. The overall cost is less expensive to buy one ‘expensive’ than 2-3 ‘cheap’ RXs.
Rabid121 and perrypoint like this.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

as Nigel is from the UK => he can buy Rex3 as receiver. similar cost compared to a 4651T, no sats etc needed, but a completely different beast (real dual path, backup Rx ready, 4 ports for servos/fbl/telemetry) and speaking lot's of languages: Ditex, PPM pos/neg, SBus, EX/Jetibox, EX Bus, digital in, digital out, UDI 12/16, etc etc ppp

Rex3 is out of the box ready for many fbls like legacy VBar, Neo, Spirit, Brain, Spartan, etc etc.

a huge bunch of sensors is available from Jeti / Hacker and (imo) they do not cost a fortune (look at some examples here) at all. plus another huge bunch of 3rd party sensors made for EX/Jetibox or EX Bus... many many sensor makers have integrated into Jeti. and another load of possibilities via i.e. jLog / Jeti integration and similar.

... and from smallest toys with mini receivers up to huge scale planes with Power box and multi-path-multi-Rx-setup (or even research drones/planes like the DLR is using) there is a huge amount of solutions: some overview

Ciao
Michael
Old 07-03-2021, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have build an bridge box which in essence is a jeti rx outputting ppm and it runs into a Spektrum DM9 so I can fly Spektrum BNF with my jeti radio. You can do the same with the TBS crossfire easily. You can also use the orange rx stuff for spektrum in essence any tx module that accepts ppm input.

I have a jeti rx again with ppm output with a cheap usb dongle for an wireless simulator. Hall gimbals so not worried about working out pots while simming hours on end as i am a slow learner it seems.

I use the tiny r7nano on small helis like the OMP M2. Size of a thumb nail.

I use a jeti rx on a quad for fpv flights.

I dont fly planes and jets but there the jeti system provides a plethora of sensors and setup options.

It really does it all for me and the only other contender would be vcontrol BUT bnf and quad stuff immediately no go due to no capability or just too expensive and too big to fit.

Hope it helps
Chippie13 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in