Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > AccuRC Flight Sim

AccuRC Flight Sim AccuRC Flight Sim Discussion

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2021, 09:12 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab223 View Post
I bought my son a 50" TV (pretext was for me for simming).
The latency on the TV after using a 27" , 144Hz, 1 ms second response monitor was brutal.

I gave the 50" TV to the ex and bought a 65" with supposedly better latency specs. Latency was still awful after using my PC monitor.
Most TVs will have terrible latency unless they have a dedicated mode that disables their "processing" of the picture before display. Your monitor lacks these "processing" modes so you don't have to set anything up special to get the lowest latency possible. A good source of information about what TVs will perform well in games (ie: sims) is here:

https://www.rtings.com/

Hint: You won't find the well performing TVs for "gaming" at Walmart. They also won't be sub $1000 for the most part (most will be $1500+). You will still have to set the TV to gaming mode or whatever they call their "no processing" mode.
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you fiddle.
I agree and understand what you said about TV latency.
Regardless of what I spent on the TVs at the time, neither of my large screen TVs provided close to the experience of my ROG Swift TN panel (PC monitor) and I could tell the difference.

EDIT: and my PC monitor does not come close to VR.

I was and still am surprised I could tell the difference. I am unobservant in general. As witnessed by every girlfriend, I did not notice the colour of the walls, the hard wood floor, the towels in the bathroom.

This is a great discussion, providing information to each other in order to have the best sim experience and push the sim forward.

I have a theory that really good pilots like Johnny can jump on any sim and make it work. Maybe things they perceive as little nuances are a big deal to us basic pilots. I guess we won't know unless we get answer to these questions.

Its all about individual perception and as the old saying goes, "your muzzle may vary".
fiddle likes this.

Last edited by wab223; 05-27-2021 at 11:19 AM..
wab223 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2021, 07:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I have the Quest 2 and I had similar problems. Anything beyond close in flying does not have the graphics quality I was looking for and I really don't want to train with the heli that close to me. I actually much prefer flying with my 130" projected screen 2D to the VR image. Conceptually, I love the idea and the immersion, but its not good enough for me to prefer it yet.

I haven't tried any more expensive VR rigs and frankly I'm not going to spend on one till A)people rave how much better is for simming, and B) the price is more in line with the $300 price tag I dropped on the Quest 2.

I don't feel like I wasted any money on the Quest 2 since I have enjoyed dipping my toes into VR for lots of other content.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2021, 05:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

VR reminds me of FPV flying, I jumped in as an early adopter and it grew faster than I could keep up. I ended up with a large pile of stuff that I could not sell or even give away.

I was looking to jump into the VR game and I am glad I saw this thread. I think I will wait for the next gen and see where its at before I invest. I did play with a buddies Oculus 2 googles and thought it was really cool but my main goal would be to use it on the sim.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raydee View Post
I was looking to jump into the VR game and I am glad I saw this thread. I think I will wait for the next gen and see where its at before I invest.
agree. I'm waiting until they somehow solve the glasses problem without me having to buy small glasses frames or prescription lenses for inside the VR platform. I'm also waiting until the resolution is high enough that its at least comparable to my 55" 4k TV.
XL Power Specter 700
Old 06-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

fiddle,
you can easily fit glasses inside the HP Reverb G2.
I believe the headset was made for wearing glasses.

I actually swapped out the standard VR cover because the lenses were further away from my eyes. I only wear cheap glasses for reading small text and not for simming, but glasses would easily fit inside the headset if I needed them too.

Here is a mod for swapping the cover for those that don't wear glasses.
BTW, the FOV is not bad with the standard cover. I just wanted to see if I could make it better.

REVERB G2 FRANKENFOV MOD - Drastically Improve FOV Of Your Reverb G2 - NO 3D PRINTS NEEDED! (11 min 16 sec)
Old 06-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

But fiddle to your other point, yes the resolution is not comparable to your 4k TV or even 1440P at distance.

It's very usable resolution though. In AccuRC I often fly the Trex 450 in VR and in another sim my favourite heli for VR is the Oxy3.
I would not be able to pick those small helis if the res was not good enough, obviously.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:06 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

hmmmmmm
XL Power Specter 700
Old 06-29-2021, 12:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
After flying over a year in VR, I’ll say that even in spite of the poor or ‘lower quality’ graphics, it is almost impossible to go back to a traditional monitor...

I agree 100%. I have been VR simming for almost a year now. I can't go back to 2D simming ever. It is sort of like trying to go back to a flip phone after using a smart phone. I started with the Oculus Rift S and upgraded to the Reverb G2. Both are workable, but obviously the G2 is better with increased resolution.

The resolution definitely isn't as good with VR as 2D simming. I think this is mainly because of the zoom on the 2D simming. VR has no zoom. Real life doesn't have zoom either so I think this is a good thing. When you fly far away in 3D you start to lose the helicopter. Doesn't this happen in real life? I think the fact that it can disappear into the distance with VR helps me as the same is true in real life. I find I now keep a better mental orientation of the helicopter, if that makes sense.

I have seen huge improvement in my abilities using VR. I find the gap between sim and real life to be a lot smaller than using a 2D sim. It is possible for me to work on a move in VR and almost immediately bring it to the field with some confidence. I am not a great flyer, but recently somebody at the club told me I was a natural because I was learning so fast. I am in my fifties and to be honest I am a natural at just about nothing. I believe that my progression is 100% because of the VR Sim time.

VR Simming isn't for everybody, but if you haven't tried it, you should. Yes a graphics card and googles is going to run you some cash, but less than a new 700. Less than a few crashed bigger helis too. Even if you jumped in and hated it, the resale market for VR googles and graphics cards is good.
Ade_Law, rdlohr and bravosierra001 like this.
ToonieRoll is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2021, 03:20 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheather View Post
Just had the opportunity to try AccuRC in VR mode on my son's PC.

His PC is much more powerful than mine with a 2080Ti and CPU to match.

His VR headset is an Occulus Rift (the original Rift, not a Rift S).

We tried in both Occulus VR mode and Steam VR mode. Graphically they were the same though the sound only worked in Steam VR mode (but that would probably just need some tweaking).

The immersion experience is fantastic, so much more like real flying down at the field, but the graphics were poor with a 45 degree equal stripe everywhere. Not so noticeable on the scenery but really so on the helicopter. The helicopter is usable close up but as soon as it moves away it quickly becomes difficult to discern.

To give an example, I was flying the Mikado Logo 550SX and the orange part of the canopy looks like it is diagonally striped orange and blue.

Is this normal?

Anyone else see this sort of thing?

Anyone know any tweaks or fixes?

I so much want this to work, the immersion is fantastic, but I couldn't live with those graphics.

Cheers,

Nigel
I use Reverb G2 now and it's great, but I was flying with Oculus Rift S for over a year and was happy too.

Try this:
- get OculusTrayTool and increase the resolution there, must have
- fly only big helis, 700 or even Logo 800
- enjoy flying lower and closer than in reality. It's actually great for learning, because it forces you to stayed close and controlled.
- try 3D maps, like Olympic Stadium - the immersion is 2x better (but the look sucks...)

But it's not for big air and also does not work for autorotations...

Could also try neXt, little easier on the PC..
rdlohr likes this.
Old 07-04-2021, 05:41 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by StouffvilleDavid View Post

The resolution definitely isn't as good with VR as 2D simming. I think this is mainly because of the zoom on the 2D simming. VR has no zoom. Real life doesn't have zoom either so I think this is a good thing. When you fly far away in 3D you start to lose the helicopter. Doesn't this happen in real life? I think the fact that it can disappear into the distance with VR helps me as the same is true in real life. I find I now keep a better mental orientation of the helicopter, if that makes sense.
I agree with this.
On my system at 1440P, regardless of visual clarity, I can only fly a little further in 2D than 3D before I lose orientation.
However, what surprises me is that in VR I seem to be able to recover more often or fly through the loss of orientation. It's like the heli is more often where I thought it should be in VR than 2D.

I don't know if that means I am keeping a better mental orientation or my brain is just working better in VR.
Note: I still fly like crap in real life though.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:51 AM   #32 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Nice to see many people happy with their VR sim. Starts to give me back some of the hope I had prior to buying the Quest 2.

Rick
Old 07-04-2021, 07:56 AM   #33 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arek View Post
I use Reverb G2 now and it's great, but I was flying with Oculus Rift S for over a year and was happy too.

Try this:
- get OculusTrayTool and increase the resolution there, must have
- fly only big helis, 700 or even Logo 800
- enjoy flying lower and closer than in reality. It's actually great for learning, because it forces you to stayed close and controlled.
- try 3D maps, like Olympic Stadium - the immersion is 2x better (but the look sucks...)

But it's not for big air and also does not work for autorotations...

Could also try neXt, little easier on the PC..
Can you say a bit more about the OculusTrayTool and what it does for you? Will it boost resolution for a Quest 2? It doesn't seem to me that Steam supports the Quest 2 resolution as well as it should. Other source material looks much clearer.

Rick
Old 07-04-2021, 10:32 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
Can you say a bit more about the OculusTrayTool and what it does for you? Will it boost resolution for a Quest 2? It doesn't seem to me that Steam supports the Quest 2 resolution as well as it should. Other source material looks much clearer.

Rick
Sorry, I don't know about Quest 2. But you can try.

Basically all you need is to change "Default super sampling" from 1 to something like 1.4. The higher you go, the more crisp image gets, but more GPU power is needed. For some reason everything was blurry for my in AccuRC on Rift S.
rdlohr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in