Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By ticedoff8
  • 1 Post By ticedoff8
  • 1 Post By ticedoff8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2021, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default AR8020T connections to MicroBeast FBL

I'm not sure whether these questions should be in this or the BeastX FBL sub-forum, so please move it if I've got it wrong.

These questions may seem to be dumb to someone more experienced, but please bear with me - a lot of this is new to me. I'm trying to work out the connections I need to make from an AR8020T receiver to a MicroBeast PLUS. The connections on the MicroBeast seem fairly straight forward, but I'm having problems with the AR8020T, in that all previous receivers I've ever used have had the ports labelled EL, AIL, RUD etc, but the AR8020T just has port numbers 1 to 8. Do they have any relationship to the channel numbers of the servos - if so, what is the throttle channel number?

Next, do I connect the BEC output from the ESC to the Receiver or the MicroBeast, and how does the other unit get powered?

Finally, which way up do the connections go? None of the servo leads or MicroBeast leads are keyed in any way, so fit either way up.
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2021, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

First of all, the MicroBeast Plus connector orientation is signal pin is on "top" (the top is the side with the label on it) and the power is in the middle with the ground on the "bottom". The benefit of this pin-out is that you can connect with the plug "up-side down" and nothing gets burned out - but the devices will not work (duh).
This has become the more or less standard for RC interconnect.
The flight controller's servo connections are keyed. There is a slot cut in the case that is specific for Futaba servo leads so they can only plug in one-way (F-style). The more "universal" servo lead uses a "J-style" plug and can be inserted either right-side up or up-side down. The slot in the case indicates "top".

Connect the BEC to the Microbeast Plus.
The receiver will get power through the servo connections between it and the BeastX.

As for connectivity the easiest way is to use the AR8020T's SRXL port.
The AR8020T has a port on it for a serial connection (a single lead) between it and the flight controller. It is called "SRXL / SRXL2" and the MicroBeast Plus supports that.
In this case, all the servos connect to the MicroBeast Plus and only 1 lead connects between the AR8020T and the MicroBeast Plus.

Another way to to this is to use SPM4651T SRXL2 receiver on the the MicroBeast Plus instead of a AR8020T. The SPM4651T is about the size of the SPM4647 seral remote receiver (sat) but supports telemetry and has a very robust connection to the transmitter.
Sloucher, Gyropilot and Cyclone7 like this.

Last edited by ticedoff8; 07-05-2021 at 12:54 PM..
ticedoff8 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Many thanks ticedoff8, that makes things a great deal clearer

Using your advice coupled with a whole load of other internet searching, I've come up with what i think I need to connect - see attached sketch. Is that a decent setup do you think, or is something going to go pop?!!!

I notice there seems to be two different methods of connecting the SRXL2 ports, either with a special cable that goes from the dedicated SRXL2 port on the receiver to the DI1 port on the MicroBeast, or a standard servo cable from the Bind/Prog/SRXL2 port on the receiver to the MicroBeast. Which do you think is the best option, or does it make no difference?

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HeliSystem.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	923363  
Old 07-05-2021, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you still plan to use the AR8020T, then keep in mind that one of those two SRXL2 ports is dedicated to an SRXL2 sat and I don't know if it can be used with a flight controller. I would be willing to bet it is the one you think needs the special cable.

But, having said that, the MicroBeast Plus also seems to need a special cable too:

So, I would be willing to bet you would use the AR8020T's 3-pin J-Style Bind / SRXL2 port connected to the BeastX "special cable" that is connected to the port on the side of the MicroBeast Plus.
Sloucher likes this.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks again ticedoff8.

I do still plan to use the AR8020T because it came with my new NX8 transmitter and I can’t afford to change it!!

I’ve managed to get a copy of the Microbeast Plus quickstart guide, and it certainly backs up your diagram. The only difference I can see is that the guide shows a BXA76403 cable rather than a BXA76401 cable. I don’t know what the difference between the two cables is physically, but I believe the BXA76401 cable could be for connecting a brushless RPM-sensor to the Microbeast.

Ho hum, yet another cable to buy – I’ve already had to order a Spektrum TX/RX USB programming cable just to register the AR8020T so I can update it!

EDIT - Yes, just confirmed, its the BXA76403 cable needed to connect the AR8020T to the Microbeast. The BXA76401 is for the rpm sensor and is wired differently:

BXA76401 cable connector pins are = pos | neg | not used | signal | not used | not used
whereas
BXA76403 cable connector pins are = pos | not used | signal | not used | neg | not used

Last edited by Sloucher; 07-06-2021 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Cable differences sourced
Sloucher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2021, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I do still plan to use the AR8020T because it came with my new NX8 transmitter and I can’t afford to change it!!
You can sell the AR8020T and buy an SPM4651T and still have enough left over to buy a pint or two.
Cyclone7 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in