Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2021, 06:12 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Dad has always been a modeler, primarily aircraft. Mostly airplanes. But, back in the 70's when the first DuBro Whirlybird was released, he built one, and I was pretty intrigued. I was a boy around 7-8 yrs old. He started to buy up the new kits..several Hegi-Schluter scale fuselage based helis...then a Kavan JetRanger, along with the first gyro that I recall seeing which actually had a high speed spool which was on a pivot. So, it was an electro-mechanical gyro for the tail. Soon, he he organized an RC heli fly-in at a local college campus through his RC club, and AMA membership....he invited vendors and some of the factory pilots of the time. Dave Gray was among his attendees. This was the first time I saw helis flying around with some aerobatics. I recalled the Graupner Bell 212 model with collective pitch being quite amazing. I dabbled in boats with Dad and later RC cars with he and my brother. I had always thought it would be cool to fly helis but simply assumed I wasn't capable. But, in 2008, I started to have some interest in giving it a try. Blade CX2 was my entry level heli. Soon, was a Blade 400 3D. And the rest is like most guys.
rdlohr likes this.
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2021, 08:38 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like the OP, grew up in the 80s - golden era of RC.

I wanted an R/C heli when I first saw them at the once year massive iHobby Expo that we went to. While it longer exists (don't get me started on that issue), it was the largest/best R/C hobby show that ever existed.

In a warehousing section of the convention center, they had a net up and factory flyers from quality names such as Hirobo, Kyosho, Kalt, etc. demonstrated their machines. I can vividly see and smell that blue stream of nitro.

I still remember grabbing free documentation on the Shuttle when the canopy was blue. Who remembers that? I always love the Shuttle "Nova."

In the various booths, I remember looking and holding a Concept 60. I was like wow, what a machine. Then grabbing the Tower Catalog and I knew that neither I nor my parents could afford that!

Fast forward to 2003 and I started a new job. I was walking to my desk at work one day and the mail lady had two large boxes that had Tower Hobbies on them. I was like huh? . I followed them and met this guy who was an R/C nut and was having his stuff shipped to work! Because of him, I got back into hard and full time, I ended up looking around and was able to finally afford one....I got a Raptor 30 ARF, then an 90SE and as a side one, a 60ARF. All controlled by a Futaba 9CHP.

I stopped flying in 2007 and the AMA costs and the gas price hike and driving to the field killed me.

I held on to my 90SE because it was my pride and joy. Fully decked out with a YS.91, Hatori SB16H pipe, every single Quick UK part they made back in the day, Futaba 601, GV-1 and digital servos.

Now in 2021, with kids of my own, I really want to get what I always wanted - a Shuttle. Probably going to get the Plus+2 FBL.
rdlohr likes this.
LS1Heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2021, 01:21 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation on how much it cost to get started with helicopters when I was a kid.

I figured that if you economize, you were looking at around $1,500-$1,800, in 1980s dollars. No refunds.

If I told my folks that I was planning or threatening to spend $1,500 on a toy helicopter, my mother would have staged an intervention, there and then.
rdlohr likes this.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:56 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is equal to about $3,500-$4,200 in todays dollars. Without a doubt a wealthy mans hobby.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:35 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrowka View Post
Yeah, I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation on how much it cost to get started with helicopters when I was a kid.

I figured that if you economize, you were looking at around $1,500-$1,800, in 1980s dollars. No refunds.

If I told my folks that I was planning or threatening to spend $1,500 on a toy helicopter, my mother would have staged an intervention, there and then.
I remember as a kid thinking about how many lawns I would have to mow just to earn enough to get some of the gear to fly RC aircraft. It ended up calculating to an unreasonable number of yards at $15-$20 per yard using a push mower.

The other large hurdle back then was simulator access. My family was fortunate that one of my parents worked for a company that gave us an extra IBM computer for home use making our family one of the first to have a home computer, but the internet did not exist yet in the late 80's early 90's.

The first RC flight simulator that I came across was actually at the mall my family frequented for school clothes shopping. One evening there was an older gentleman that had a computer hooked up in the central hub area and an RC plane on the table. I think I was around 10 years old and went to talk to him.

He was trying to get people interested in RC flying and to join their RC club. The club had purchased the computer and simulator as a training tool for the club members. I fondly remember that it only had 2 very cartoonish planes (no helicopters) to fly using a specific Futaba transmitter. I asked this gentleman how much the simulator cost and was informed the whole package was around $2500. To make the simulator work you needed to also send the computer and transmitter in together to have a special board installed in the computer and a harness soldered to the Futaba transmitter. My heart sank knowing this was well outside the realm of possibility for myself at that time.
Shear Pin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2021, 01:27 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was perusing some random forum back around 2010 and one of the members avatars was of him flying a small RC heli. It immediately piqued my interest and down the rabbit hole I went.

I'd always wanted to give fixed wing RC a try, but having grown up (my wife would likely disagree) around / been involved in full scale aviation (fixed wing), I saw the helicopters as something different - and it presented what I perceived to be a more challenging thing to learn. Grabbed a fixed pitch Blade MSR and caught the bug. Not long after that I joined Helifreak, built my first kit (Mini Protos 450) and away I went!

Like anything, my involvement in the hobby has come and gone over the years, but I never stay away for long. I picked up a couple of the OMP models a few weeks back (what a bargain!), and the spark was reignited. As per usual, I now have a Kraken 580 and a RAW on the way!

It even prompted me to try some fixed wing stuff for a change, and grabbed a couple of 60" Extreme Flight models, looking forward to giving those a try.

It spirals out of control quickly, but it sure is fun
Old 07-13-2021, 05:54 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

My story is a funny haha one.

So my wife just before our first anniversary as a couple (not married) took me to the LHS (I was new in town). I brought a plane a few weeks later. Got introduced to those at the local RC Club and saw someone flying a helicopter. At first the blade farting sounds were unnerving.

That winter I bought some micros to fly in my basement one was the Blade MSR. I got really good with that and bought the Ncpx about a month after that. Couldn't fly that Ncpx in the house as I kept smashing into things.

The next spring I tried the Ncpx outdoors and was able to kind of fly it. I kept at it and got better and bought a TRex 150 then a month after that a TRex 450l. That fall I picked up a used Synergy E5s and it's been a while ride since.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:59 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Started has an ho model railroad hobby for years but was fed up with all the wiring needed to control everything.

I tried to find remote solution which at the time were scarce for the size needed but managed to control a few small cars (1/87 scale)

This got me to be interested in more fun remote cars (1/8 scale) but got bored with it very fast. Then a friend invited me to a flying field.

The rest is history.I first flew planes then helicopters.
rdlohr and Dan767 like this.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:22 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

39 years ago.....I was building a free flight glider for a project at school and then got some funds together to buy a two channel glider (was a plastic body, foam viner covered wings.....and quiet new at that time)
At that time some people where still building there own servo's (can remeber reading up on it)

Was always interested inthe egg whisks and finaly got one about 17 years ago.....was a "Coaxialfly bar Huey" at the time seemed and looked difficult to fly. BUT jumped from that to a EFlight Blade 400, Blade nano, Blade MCPX v2 and Blade 180.

And now back to trusty old blade 400, with changed gyro, multi blade head and fuselage!
ralphp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2021, 11:36 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1Heli View Post
That is equal to about $3,500-$4,200 in todays dollars. Without a doubt a wealthy mans hobby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shear Pin View Post
Quote:

I remember as a kid thinking about how many lawns I would have to mow just to earn enough to get some of the gear to fly RC aircraft. It ended up calculating to an unreasonable number of yards at $15-$20 per yard using a push mower.

The other large hurdle back then was simulator access. My family was fortunate that one of my parents worked for a company that gave us an extra IBM computer for home use making our family one of the first to have a home computer, but the internet did not exist yet in the late 80's early 90's.

The first RC flight simulator that I came across was actually at the mall my family frequented for school clothes shopping. One evening there was an older gentleman that had a computer hooked up in the central hub area and an RC plane on the table. I think I was around 10 years old and went to talk to him.

He was trying to get people interested in RC flying and to join their RC club. The club had purchased the computer and simulator as a training tool for the club members. I fondly remember that it only had 2 very cartoonish planes (no helicopters) to fly using a specific Futaba transmitter. I asked this gentleman how much the simulator cost and was informed the whole package was around $2500. To make the simulator work you needed to also send the computer and transmitter in together to have a special board installed in the computer and a harness soldered to the Futaba transmitter. My heart sank knowing this was well outside the realm of possibility for myself at that time.
Zackly. Not only were RC helicopters a lot more expensive, but they were kits (meaning you had to build yourself, which meant either you needed help or 'trial and error'), nitro only (indoor flying not really an option) fly barred only (setup extra critical) and a rudder gyro only. If you had a gyro at all. Even an FM radio was pretty high zoot for that time. Forget computer radios, any adjustments were strictly mechanical.

And a crash meant $TEXA$ down the drain. No rescue, no SAFE mode, no stability mode. Unless you were also blessed with a preternatural amount of time, money, patience, knowledge, drive and mechanical skill, teaching yourself wasn't really an option. Even with an instructor, you could expect some expensive crashes and lots of downtime.

Growing up, I only knew one person with an r/c helicopter. He was the son of a dentist, and he couldn't really fly the thing.

Now, for better or worse, any toolio with $120 in his pocket can stop by the LHS and waltz out with an RTF, tax and batteries included.

Of course, that's what made it possible for me to learn to fly, and I am grateful to that little MCX2 for showing me that I could do it, too.
bikneli and Shear Pin like this.

Last edited by Mrowka; 07-13-2021 at 05:24 PM..
Mrowka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Zackly. Not only were RC helicopters a lot more expensive, but they were kits (meaning you had to build yourself, which meant either you needed help or 'trial and error'), nitro only (indoor flying not really an option) fly barred only (setup extra critical) and a rudder gyro only. If you had a gyro at all. Even an FM radio was pretty high zoot for that time. Forget computer radios, any adjustments were strictly mechanical.

And a crash meant $TEXA$ down the drain. No rescue, no SAFE mode, no stability mode. Unless you were also blessed with a preternatural amount of time, money, patience, knowledge and mechanical skill, teaching yourself wasn't really an option. Even with an instructor, you could expect some expensive crashes and lots of downtime.

Growing up, I only knew one person with an r/c helicopter. He was the son of a dentist, and he couldn't really fly the thing.

Now, for better or worse, any toolio with $120 in his pocket can stop by the LHS and waltz out with an RTF, tax and batteries included.

Of course, that's what made it possible for me to learn to fly, and I am grateful to that little MCX2 for showing me that I could do it, too.

in the early 90's I remember asking a few hobby shop owners where they kept the RC helicopters as their shops had several RC planes around and received many discouraging replies:

- Nobody knows how to fly those things so who is going to train you?
- You better have some deep pockets to mess around with helis?
- Have you tried flying RC planes yet?

It wasn't until I was several years older in mid 90's that I actually saw a RC helicopter in the flesh in a hobby shop. The shop owner took it off the wall and set it on the counter for me to look at.

The shop owner said the heli belonged to one of his best customers who kept it at his shop as the heli owners wife was upset about how much time and money it cost him. I believe the heli owner was a doctor if I remember correctly and would pay for a certain trainer in the next state over to come out to buddy box train him on it a few times a year.

Looking back at how difficult access to helis were back then I'm surprised this aspect of the hobby excelled to where we are at today.

Excellent simulators, mirco-copters, forums, and you-tube have sure helped most of us enter this hobby. Back then if you didn't have a hobby shop that supported helis and/or knowledgeable help you were pretty much on you own and out of luck.
rdlohr, bikneli and Mrowka like this.
Shear Pin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2021, 04:29 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started out fixed wing 30 years ago. Very first trip to the field to fly my Great Planes PT 40 I saw a Thunder Tiger Raptor. I wanted one, but too expensive and I was already to involved in the fixed wing side of things. I have bought many small helis over the years and a Blade 400 Blade 230s Blade Fusion 270. Sold them all. A friend talked me into an Align700X. Ive since bought a Trex 470 and Trex 550. I fly my OMP M1 at a field near me, and the others at the club field.
Dan767 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2021, 06:42 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

1967. My 7th birthday. My dad and I walked to the K-Mart and bought a Cox Grasshopper control-line model for $7.77. I spent a lifetime of birthday money that day.

As a system engineer for IBM in the '60s, my dad was an extremely bright person but not mechanically inclined. All this was my decision.

We broke in the model engine in in the garage per the instructions. (It was ear shattering. Again, not my dad's "cup of tea".)

We went to the local park to fly the model. My mother went along for the event. I nosed over on my first attempt and the engine died. I suggested my dad try. The model was destroyed.

I was hooked for life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cox-4-grasshopper-control-line-model_1_4d241fd012f2c22b8340b3877f7b8a4a.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	924291  
rdlohr, Clinton1, bikneli and 1 others like this.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:51 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

2009, Walmart toy section, shopping for a birthday present for a family friend's young son last minute. Can't remember offhand what we got the kid, but I slid some AirHog coaxial in the shopping cart for myself to my wife's dismay (she is awesome, I would have done the same as it was a totally random decision on my part).

And that was the entrance to the rabbit hole for me, lol.
Mrowka likes this.
Logo 550SX, Logo 400se, Rave 4503D, NEO, VBC, VTX, AccuRC, RF9.5, HobbyWing, Promodeler, Savox, TORQ, iCharger, GensAce, HRB, RoaringTop, CYE, Edge, Rail, VTX, EPBuddy Paraboards, Canomod, Customhelicanopies.
dr_boom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2021, 09:09 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Growing up, never had anything r/c except the odd toy store-grade car here and there. Always liked stuff that flew, went through a ton of the 10 and 25 cent gliders and rubber powered planes they always had at the checkout stands. Tried one big foamy glider that (like most all videos shown of those) did a big loop and right into the ground........in pieces

Also had one of those that flew w. various 'discs' that flew different patterns, really liked that one, but even a huge open field wasn't enough; still found a tree clear off!

Finally took the plunge in the early 90s, after stopping by some local funflys over the years, and for some reason, always was trying to single out/spot the very few helis that showed up......and almost never flown.

Started out w. a GMP Rebel fixed pitch, not the best choice, but it sure lit the flame!!
bikneli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bikneli speaking of foamy glider that reminded me of a good laugh.
The first glider I build with a gas engine to get in the air. My first radio control plane.
Got a friend to help launch it in a field by the side of the road. The friend start running in about knee high *grass*. As he was running, my friend suddenly disappeared and the plane took off.

He had disappeared in a ditch that we had not seen.
The glider was totally out of control, remember my first radio control plane, the fact that I was laughing so hard did not help.

The glider crashed very quickly but not before I taught it would crash on cars behind me passing by on the road behind me.

My friend was not hurt and I decided to go to a club to learn how to fly.

We still laugh about it.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:29 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agree with all the pricing comments. That was the deal for everyone because the tech. was just developing.

Also, like the guys above, I didn't know anyone who flew these things. Not even a doctor.

As I mentioned, I come from the Kyosho Concept, Hirobo Shuttle, Kalt Enforcer era. My best resource was the Tower annual catalog. I remember countless hours reading what was needed, prices, etc. Heck, even in the back they actually had two pages on how to fly these things.....

When I got my first which was in 2003, a Raptor 30V2 with the TT. 39, I had already trained myself for a FULL year on an early version of RealFlight. Then I assembled the ship, put my Futaba 9CHP in it along with a GY401. I introduced myself at the local field and took lessons on it via buddybox and they instructor I remember saying to me "are you sure you've never down this before."

I got a lot of praise by the local guys because there are too many out there rushing it. People buy the RTF Chinese stuff now because its cheap, crash it in a tree at 50mph and drop out.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:33 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started with a Syma 107, then moved into drones, camera, FPV, mini woops (Still flying them). Just rediscovered the fun of helis with a Eachine E130, blade 70 and nano. I've been certified as the worlds worst heli pilot
KLRKris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2021, 10:42 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My dad has been doing r/c since the 80s, before I was born...cars, airplanes, helicopters, you name it. So I had a chance to try it all since I was a little kid basically and was always around it. I only did cars until 2010 when I bought my first heli though, then airplanes later but the planes never held my interest outside of the small foamies.
M1abrams is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2021, 11:37 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was always fascinated by anything that could fly. As a kid in the 60's I would buy those rubber band planes you could get in paper shops. I can still remember sliding the balsa wings into the plastic clamps and the wood splitting. From there I moved on to free flight gliders and then control line with the good old Cox 049. After much saving I got myself a Macgregor single channel RC. The "servo" was an escapement driven by a rubber band. Spent most of my time building, the flying was always very short! Eventually I did get a 2 channel proportional RC and had some success slope soaring but more often than not it was a long walk to one of the fields at the bottom of the slope. Then the usual happend, motor cycles, beer, music and women. Anyway about 10 years ago I decided to start again, everything seemed so cheap! Got an Easystar and finally got in the air, and apart from the odd rescue out of a tree it flew really well (and I still have it). Then work took over and a couple of year back I started yet again. This time with a Funcub, what a great machine flies so well (still have it too). On a whim I decided to get an Mcpx just to see what it was all about. Helicopters in the past were way out of what I could afford but this little heli was affordable and I had a Dx6. I decided I want something that flew a little better and I wanted to build a heli, I only understand things if I can build it. Built a Trex 470. Went for the torque tube, major mistake. Every time I didn't make a perfect landing the gears would strip. I have a draw full of replacements and can now replace the gears in about 15 minutes but realised I needed something better to learn on. So I got the wonderful OMP M2. What a machine, now I am really learning. It's a slow process but I can just about tail in hover now For the winter I got an OMP M1 so I can practice in the garage. Looking forward to being good enough to take out the 470 and return with the gears intact!

Last edited by rishig; 07-25-2021 at 01:29 PM..
rishig is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in