Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2021, 12:52 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
I'm glad my club claims to require AMA but no one has ever asked me for proof of my membership. No matter, its a public park anyway in the middle of nowhere (strange I know) that no one but us uses for the most part. If they were to kick me out, I could just fly next to the field in the part of the park that they don't rent
We have to provide our club with scanned images of AMA card and FAA registration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2021, 07:22 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
We have to provide our club with scanned images of AMA card and FAA registration.
Once a year I have to pull out my AMA card and present it to the club secretary. Job done. Good for another year. I get that. It's what we have to do to use the land we fly off of and over.

FAA registration is none of their business. If they were to check, I have an ATP (Airline Transport License) and FAA 1st class medical - but again, that's none of their business.
Rudy and Phaedrus like this.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:20 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjvail View Post
Once a year I have to pull out my AMA card and present it to the club secretary. Job done. Good for another year. I get that. It's what we have to do to use the land we fly off of and over.

FAA registration is none of their business. If they were to check, I have an ATP (Airline Transport License) and FAA 1st class medical - but again, that's none of their business.
My club wants proof of FAA recreational aUAS registration. When I was in the Navy I had to proves licence, registration and insurance to drive on base.

Like you we provide club AMA and then we give them FAA model registration proof. Neither one a big deal.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:03 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm glad I stepped away from the hobby during this time. I wish you all the best in your flying endeavors.
BELL SKY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2021, 02:33 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Drug test? What drug test?!
AllanNg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanNg View Post
Drug test? What drug test?!
Employers are now drug testing to see if their employees are heli addicts or not. It's really a thing.
HeliBeachBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2021, 07:54 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliBeachBum View Post
Employers are now drug testing to see if their employees are heli addicts or not. It's really a thing.
LOL. I'm glad we got helifreaks here with humor
AllanNg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2021, 06:43 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
My club wants proof of FAA recreational aUAS registration. When I was in the Navy I had to proves licence, registration and insurance to drive on base.

Like you we provide club AMA and then we give them FAA model registration proof. Neither one a big deal.
Fair enough. But does your club require license, registration and proof of insurance to drive on the field? Is it any of their business?

And we a agree, providing proof of AMA membership and FAA registration isn't difficult. Our club has simply decided that our "due diligence" doesn't include going beyond checking AMA membership.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:19 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only reason for a club to check AMA membership is because I believe the AMA wants them too as part of being a chartered field?

Since the FAA is conveying no similar special status for checking member compliance, why should the club care?
XL Power Specter 700 v1 & v2
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2021, 06:56 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone7 View Post
I agree Sandy - when I look at the high-handed attitude at play in the U.S., I think that we here in the U.K. have a great deal to be thankful for. The BMFA has conducted itself extremely well in protecting the best interests of the members and the CAA has displayed a sensible and entirely pragmatic approach to the issue.

I think that is why there has been no real resistance to the regulations here. Everyone I know has paid the small fee, done the simple online test/forced reading exercise and are happily out flying, much as before
Jeez...the most reasonable people in the room (with some exceptions)...seem to be the non-USA participants. Rebels or not, it is pretty telling.
Cyclone7 likes this.
hpaulmo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2021, 10:31 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpaulmo View Post
Jeez...the most reasonable people in the room (with some exceptions)...seem to be the non-USA participants. Rebels or not, it is pretty telling.
Where "reasonable" means "happy to comply with whatever nonsense the government puts out".

I went out and flew my helis today. Regs violated include 14 CFR 107.12(a), 107.12(b), 107.13, and 107.19(d), as well as a violation of a county park rule. Nobody was harmed, but that's still worth a $6000-$120,000 fine depending on how much the FAA wanted to teach a lesson. Plus another $3000 or 90 days in jail for the county park violation. In order to become legal I'd have to

1) Register

2) Put the registration number on my helis

3) Take the TRUST test

4) Fly somewhere else, at a site which has an established "safety line" (this is needed to follow a safety code, without which I cannot claim the recreational exception). No such site is available to me.

OR I could

1) Register each aircraft individually

2) Put the registration numbers on my helis

3) Take the $175 Part 107 test and get an expletive-deleted remote pilot license

4) Play jailhouse lawyer with state pre-emption to get around the park rules.

Both of these are absolutely nuts.

I never bothered registering because I knew it wouldn't end there; they'd keep piling on the rules at least until there were some I couldn't follow. And indeed they did.

(in a few years, also add "put a tattle-tale remote ID transmitter on the aircraft")
nybbler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2021, 05:43 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

so glad i live out here in the middle of the cow pastures where no one cares what you do for the most part.
smittylube and Cyclone7 like this.
XL Power Specter 700 v1 & v2
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2021, 05:55 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
so glad i live out here in the middle of the cow pastures where no one cares what you do for the most part.
Nor are they ever likely to care, truth beknown. I still think that these regulations are unlikely to be 'actively policed'..... unless you attract public attention through flying irresponsibly(in which case you probably deserve what you get) or God forbid, are involved in an incident of some sort.
fiddle likes this.
Cyclone7 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2021, 06:11 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Where "reasonable" means "happy to comply with whatever nonsense the government puts out".
We could all go in for civil disobedience but is it really the answer?

I believe in America you are now not allowed to fly above 400 feet.

The BMFA in consultation with the CAA has got exemptions for its members of glider guiders to fly as high as they like and others above 400 feet. Also any BMFA member that took one of its award scheme tests doesn't have to complete the CAA test.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 07-26-2021 at 06:25 AM..
Andy from Sandy is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2021, 06:26 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpaulmo View Post

I went out and flew my helis today. Regs violated include 14 CFR 107.12(a), 107.12(b), 107.13, and 107.19(d), as well as a violation of a county park rule. Nobody was harmed, but that's still worth a $6000-$120,000 fine depending on how much the FAA wanted to teach a lesson. Plus another $3000 or 90 days in jail for the county park violation. In order to become legal I'd have to

1) Register

2) Put the registration number on my helis

3) Take the TRUST test

4) Fly somewhere else, at a site which has an established "safety line" (this is needed to follow a safety code, without which I cannot claim the recreational exception). No such site is available to me.

OR I could

1) Register each aircraft individually

2) Put the registration numbers on my helis

3) Take the $175 Part 107 test and get an expletive-deleted remote pilot license

4) Play jailhouse lawyer with state pre-emption to get around the park rules.

Both of these are absolutely nuts.

I never bothered registering because I knew it wouldn't end there; they'd keep piling on the rules at least until there were some I couldn't follow. And indeed they did.

(in a few years, also add "put a tattle-tale remote ID transmitter on the aircraft")
What did you fly at the county park?
navigator2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2021, 07:27 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
What did you fly at the county park?
What does it matter? Anything from a nano to a 800 and above is equally illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
We could all go in for civil disobedience but is it really the answer?
I'm just going in for plain disobedience. "Civil Disobedience" indicates an intention to get caught and punished to shock the conscience of the public, and the public just doesn't care; their response to R/C flyers being financially ruined or jailed would be "good", if they had any response at all.

Quote:
I believe in America you are now not allowed to fly above 400 feet.

The BMFA in consultation with the CAA has got exemptions for its members of glider guiders to fly as high as they like and others above 400 feet. Also any BMFA member that took one of its award scheme tests doesn't have to complete the CAA test.
Yeah, so your BMFA managed to do successfully what our AMA couldn't do -- carve out exceptions for itself. I don't care all that much about the 400 foot rule (hard to see my helis at 400 feet) but the AMA here has gotten only a few point exemptions for a very few clubs.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:21 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
What does it matter? Anything from a nano to a 800 and above is equally illegal.
Really? WOW. If that were true it would be awful.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It's true.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:48 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Quote:
It's true.
So the county park doesn't want what they think are drones. But no way are you going to be slammed with all those regs over something like an mcpx bl.
navigator2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2021, 11:11 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
In a single location, maybe. abut as a blanket statement, no. which is the point I am making

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in