Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2021, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Glass carbon blades?

I'm trying to find some white rotor blades for my trex 500 dfc airwolf build, and I found some from rcaerodyne but they're glass carbon, Would they work or do I need to stick to carbon fiber? This heli will see no 3d at all, even before I put the fuselage on it.
jshultz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2021, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I like the way glass blades fly on my non 3D helis. They give a nice whop whop sound too.
beltfedbrowning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2021, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltfedbrowning View Post
I like the way glass blades fly on my non 3D helis. They give a nice whop whop sound too.
I like noisy blades. Blade farts always makes me smile.
jshultz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2021, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any blade would work fine as long as you run low (scale like) headspeeds and don't plan on doing 3D / Smack flying.
Thunder Tiger Raptor 50 came stock with wooden 600mm symmetrical blades, and they worked great as long as you kept the headspeed below 1900 RPM.

Also, if you are really concerned, buy whatever CF main blade you like the best, and use the MonoKote Trim "Jet White" to cover the blades.
The MonoKote trim sheets are self-adhesive (super sticky), 3' long and 6" wide.
I use the neon orange to wrap the tail-fin skid on all my heli for my own orientation and visibility, and on the tips of my main blades.

To cover the whole blade, cut a piece that is about 5mm longer than the total length long and the 5mm wider than total circumference.
If you start at the trailing edge with 1mm of trim wrapped around the trailing edge to the bottom of the blade and then wrap it over the top to the leading edge and back to the trailing edge, you can keep it from lifting off the blade in flight. Use a needle or pin to pop any bubbles that can't be massaged out from under the trim with your thumbs.

Last edited by ticedoff8; 08-02-2021 at 02:15 PM..
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2021, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshultz View Post
I'm trying to find some white rotor blades for my trex 500 dfc airwolf build, and I found some from rcaerodyne but they're glass carbon, Would they work or do I need to stick to carbon fiber? This heli will see no 3d at all, even before I put the fuselage on it.
Can you provide a link for the blades you are considering? I'm slightly confused. There are carbon (fiber) blades and glass (fiber) blades. I'm unfamiliar with "glass carbon".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in