Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 380

SAB Goblin 380 SAB Heli Division 380 - Goblin Helicopters Factory Support

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jrman83
  • 1 Post By tonys-heli

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 480g battery in 420

Hello,
I'm finishing up my 420 build but have troubles finding locally a battery that is in the lower 400g range like the pulse 2600mAh.

A local hobby store has a 6S 2800 mAh in stock which weights 480g, which is on the very heavy side.

Has anybody experience with a battery that heavy in a 420? Does it work and would it balance ok.

Electronics is Hobbywing 120A v4, Xnova 3125 and BK servos.

I'm living outside the US, so shipping from the usual sources doesn't work due to the limitations on lipos in air freights.

Thanks for the tips.
sven.herzing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2021, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You might have to look a little back in history, but some have run larger packs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk777us View Post
Pulse 2600 45c in my og 380. COG works perfect
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumdog View Post
Anyone know if these will fit in a 380, Turnigy nano-tech 2650mah 6S 45~90C Lipo Pack w/XT-60.
They are 135x44x33 and weigh 427g, states in the 380 specs that max battery is 130x44x44. Just wondered if anyone had experience with batteries that are a few mm longer than the recommended max as we are only talking 5mm.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

why a 120A esc in a 420?
Old 07-28-2021, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why a 2600, lol? Thing is already heavy even for a stretched 380 with 420 blades. The biggest I would go would be 2200.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
tonys-heli likes this.
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2021, 01:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

> why a 120A esc in a 420?

I had that laying around from my old trex 600. The weight and size is the same as the 80A v4
Old 07-29-2021, 06:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

a scorpion 80a esc or yge-t 65A would be way better.. lighter and have telemetry.. that weight savings would let you use a heavier lipo, but i never really ran bigger than 2200.
those hobbywing esc are old tech. makes no sense to have 2 esc's 80 and 120, that are the same dimensions, but different amp sizes.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It really depends on how you’re planning on flying. As it stands adding a heavy battery to a heavy airframe with a heavy ESC, all adds up. If you’re just going to do a little sport flying or orientation work, probably not going to be great but would certainly work. Based on your join date you might be looking for a bit more.

I don’t remember the duration, battery size, but there was a bored soul who put a much bigger battery in his 380, cranked down the headspeed and hovered in his garage for some absurd amount of time (1/2 hour to an hour). The battery may have been a 3300 mAh. So if you’re desperate the heavier battery could work.

The 380 could get away with a 60A ESC. The Hobbywing 60A is 1/2 the weight of 120A. A lighter esc is not a bad idea. Regardless of what Tony says, the Hobbywing 120A / 80A have telemetry including Amps. It may not be working well with his setup though. The Hobbywing 60A has everything except Amps (and mAh can’t be calculated). …& the Amp on the 80A isn’t very reliable….
Old 07-29-2021, 07:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

And the YGE 65LVT weighs as much as a HW40. To each their own I guess. Some people could care less about weight. It will fly, regardless.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
Old 07-29-2021, 08:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
And the YGE 65LVT weighs as much as a HW40. To each their own I guess. Some people could care less about weight. It will fly, regardless.
I’m a big fan of the YGE ESCs. Problem is that they cost about 3x the Hobbywing. Saving about 4grams and adding Amp/mAh. That’s a hefty price to pay.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
I’m a big fan of the YGE ESCs. Problem is that they cost about 3x the Hobbywing. Saving about 4grams and adding Amp/mAh. That’s a hefty price to pay.
Yes, it depends on what you really want vs what you're willing to settle for. I don't try to make that distinction when you're talking about $100. And this YGE vs that HW may be nearly 3x as much, but still about $100 and the margin when you get up higher in amps doesn't play out as that far of a gap. We can all build bargain helis, but very few have that frame of mind. I'll take performance and capability over budget options any day when only talking $100 and with even minimal returns. For me, it's about consistency. If I buy the YGE 205 and put it in my 700 for a particular reason, that same reason would apply for any other of my systems, but I also looked at it the same way when I ran all HW. The "problem" as you say, may not be a problem to all.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

i used to love hobbywing esc's before the telemetry and firmware update game. but with them, its game over with me.
will they work, sure.. reliable after updates, jury is still out.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for all the info, I have some more thinking to do.

I wasn't aware the HW is complicated with telemetry, which I was planning to use. Will have a look at the Scorpion 80A and the YGE 65LVT.

The YGE 65 has a burst current of 110A. 2200mAh 45C packs have a max nominal current of 99A, but there is also some burst capacity in the packs.
In theory, 45C would be sufficient for 2200mAh batteries. Is that assumption correct, or better go for a higher C rate?

Would that work?
Old 07-31-2021, 12:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Hobbywing telemetry isn’t complicated, it just doesn’t work that well for the 60&80A ESCs. The 120A versions I have work fine. The YGE is a far superior ESC, but is similar to the Hobbywing in terms of how hard it is to set up.

Any ESC with a rating above 80A is overkill for the Goblin.

If you’re set on using mAh / Amps, then the YGE is really the only game in town. But that’s up to you if it’s worthwhile. If I could afford it, I’d put them in all my 280/380 Helis (6x $180 = $1K!). But the timer works great for now

Battery ‘C’ rating is a bit of a crapshoot, just make sure you’re getting what they’re putting on the label. 30C is on the low side unless it’s a ‘real’ 30C. …did I say it was a crapshoot. HRBs have served me well lately. (Not sure if you can get them there)
Old 07-31-2021, 12:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Somehow I got convinced and just ordered a YGE65-LVT.

I'll get that one and then check how it will balance weight wise once I have it in the airframe.

Side qustion as you also have a Jeti. Do you run the YGE directly from the RX or do you connect it to the FBL controller?
Old 07-31-2021, 03:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

c-rating in lipos dont mean anything. nobody measures them and their inaccurate.
who could really tell if 30 WAS really 30c? i dont use c-rating when getting lipos. whatever fits the heli or price point and fly it.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
The Hobbywing telemetry isnít complicated, it just doesnít work that well for the 60&80A ESCs. The 120A versions I have work fine. The YGE is a far superior ESC, but is similar to the Hobbywing in terms of how hard it is to set up.
If you mean in terms of ease, yes. However, if using the ESC gov it is night and day difference in the setup of a YGE. You enter basic info into the ESC (pinion, main gear tooth count, etc) and then go fly. That's it. None of that crap you do with the HW.

Old 07-31-2021, 05:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven.herzing View Post
Somehow I got convinced and just ordered a YGE65-LVT.

I'll get that one and then check how it will balance weight wise once I have it in the airframe.

Side qustion as you also have a Jeti. Do you run the YGE directly from the RX or do you connect it to the FBL controller?
If you have a REX rcvr, you can plug into it and do all your programming from your Jeti. You can also buy the usb connection and do your programming from a pc.

Old 07-31-2021, 11:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
If you have a REX rcvr, you can plug into it and do all your programming from your Jeti. You can also buy the usb connection and do your programming from a pc.
Even with the REX you’ll need the USB adapter, if only to set the ESC to Jeti mode.

Depending on the FBL you may have two options, running ESC telemetry through the FBL like on the Brain/Ikon to allow logging at the FBL or as jrman said, to run it to a REX receiver and be able to program it from the Transmitter.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got the new ESC and it's an eye opener.

Hobbywing 120A -> 113 gr
YGE 64A -> 53 gr

The recommended combo of pulse 6S 2600 and HW80A would weight around 510 gr according to specs, giving me 450 gr for the battery.

However, balancing it, it needed 480 gr of weight in front to balance evenly with the battery touching the canopy.

Now hunting for a pack that will balance it out well to avoid using any dead weight.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

the whole heli is on the porky side.
jrman83 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in