Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > XLPower

XLPower XLPower Helicopter Support

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2021, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hot Motor

Motor too hot to touch over 1-2 seconds. ESC is just warm, as desired.

Flying big air.
Headspeed 1800
Stock pinion 11t
EgoDrift 4525HS
HW 130a esc
Timing 9dg
How do I cool it down?
Thx
RCFred is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2021, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What kV motor and what throttle percentages? What is governing?
Old 07-31-2021, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If possible, find an IR gun and get an actual temperature of it. "Too hot too touch" can be down around 130F, which is well within acceptable temp limits.

Besides that, here are a couple things that can cause it to heat up, in no specific order. Too tight gear mesh, tail belt too tight, bent motor shaft, any binding in drivetrain, etc.
xoexoe likes this.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

What is the temp outside? If in the 90s or higher, temps on the motor can be 20-30 degrees higher most of the time I've measured. Which is about to be expected.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2021, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

ive lost track of how many times this comes up.
the only way to tell how hot anything is, is with a temp gun.
how about during the summer, just dont touch the motor right after a flight.

best way to cool it down is let it rest after a flight.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah these posts come up often...but guess what, there must be a reason. There is little help in having a thermal gun if one doesn't know what tempearture to aim for. How about if manufacturers (Egodrift and XLpower) provided some more data of permissable motor working temperatures, like many other manufacturers do? That way people would know what is ok and what is too hot. Simple. Or else same questions will keep being asked here furter on in the future.
TomazB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2021, 06:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

you can get a temp gun for about $15 on Amazon. Your motor should be fine at 60c and below. Mine come down in the 40c range and seem to be fine. No idea what the upper limit is but you've got some kind of problem if your motor is getting above 60c I'd say.
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2021, 08:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomazB View Post
Yeah these posts come up often...but guess what, there must be a reason. There is little help in having a thermal gun if one doesn't know what tempearture to aim for. How about if manufacturers (Egodrift and XLpower) provided some more data of permissable motor working temperatures, like many other manufacturers do? That way people would know what is ok and what is too hot. Simple. Or else same questions will keep being asked here furter on in the future.
Little help with a temp gun? How is it that the actual temp is not good data vs it "feels" hot?

Please send a link to the "permissible motor working temperatures" of any other brand, I'd like to read about it.
tonys-heli likes this.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
Little help with a temp gun? How is it that the actual temp is not good data vs it "feels" hot?

Please send a link to the "permissible motor working temperatures" of any other brand, I'd like to read about it.
Here you go:

Click image for larger version

Name:	D8178712-EAAE-4511-8EB0-2FB5B9E5C733_1627824528792.png
Views:	29
Size:	585.5 KB
ID:	926755

Xnova:
Magnets up to 150C
Windings up to 280C

Measuring them in flight is an entirely different question. A 1/2 minute or so afterwards is a bit late…
Old 08-01-2021, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here’s another one…….

https://www.scorpionsystem.com/info/...runner_motors/
Old 08-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Vincent talks abut egodrift motor temps starting at 34 min.
At an hour he talks about using a temp gun and proper timing. He suggests 9 degrees timing for hs series.
I know you have it at 9 so sounds like you did some homework already.

I'm listening to FreeFall RC Podcast | Episode 276 - EGODRIFT with Vincent Offenbeck! on Podbean, check it out! https://www.podbean.com/ea/pb-ajh4a-1041891
EGODRIFT likes this.

Last edited by Thickfog; 08-01-2021 at 09:41 AM..
Thickfog is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2021, 09:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

motor temps arent an issue at all.. the esc will shut down before the motor quits.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe you both should read what he said. Neither one of those listed are what he mentions, those are maximum temps, which is not what I would call "working temps" OF ANY MANUFACTURER.

And, my only point in asking for that info was to mention that despite any mfg listing the "working temps" (if they ever listed such a thing), the questions still get asked for nearly all, if not all, mfgs out there - period. Just because ANY type of info is posted or listed by a mfg doesn't mean the end user is going to go out and look for that data - even if it was the "right" data.

You guys realize that the lowest temps mentioned in either of the links is 150C which is 302F. If that is a working temp, it would melt the canopy.

Old 08-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
Maybe you both should read what he said. Neither one of those listed are what he mentions, those are maximum temps, which is not what I would call "working temps" OF ANY MANUFACTURER.

And, my only point in asking for that info was to mention that despite any mfg listing the "working temps" (if they ever listed such a thing), the questions still get asked for nearly all, if not all, mfgs out there - period. Just because ANY type of info is posted or listed by a mfg doesn't mean the end user is going to go out and look for that data - even if it was the "right" data.

You guys realize that the lowest temps mentioned in either of the links is 150C which is 302F. If that is a working temp, it would melt the canopy.
302F wouldn’t melt a canopy. Mainly because they use a thermoset resin that would decompose not melt. Look at the temperature listed on your JB Weld, mine says 550F. Granted not all epoxy is a good as that, and certainly most canopies aren’t made for heat resistance, but their not in intimate contact with the motor either.

Your ESC doesn’t have an operating rating, just maximums. Sustained and 5-15 secs peak maximum amperage rating.

The peaks are just that the maximum the motor can withstand without damage. Demagnetize the magnets, or melt the insulation off the windings. Nobody is measuring a ‘real’ temperature anyway. Best that’s being done is pointing a IR thermometer onto the can or in the vent holes trying to get the windings some time after the motor has cooled. Take the temp as fast as you can, then count to 30 and take it again. It’ll be drastically different.

Think of this, if you don’t remove the enamel from the motor wires, molten solder isn’t hot enough to damage it. Windings need to get pretty hot to damage them.

Maybe someone should put a thermocouple buried in the windings and an Non-contact IR thermocouple pointed at the can to get a ‘real’ measure. Until then all you can do is take the provided values as a guide and assume some reduced value for a limit from there.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for making my point for me. No mfg list working or maybe a normal operating temp range. And the maximum temps are nowhere close to what anyone would expect after a normal flight.

Not sure what helis you fly, but you should measure the distance between some and the canopy. I can put my heat gun on its lowest setting, which not close to 300F, and it will flat out mangle a canopy and from 5" away from the gun. My Oxy 5 motor is a few mm away from the canopy.. The only ones I have that aren't fairly close is the Oxy 2 and P380. Don't say that 300F wouldn't mess up and melt or deform one unless you have tested it. You'd be surprised. And I didn't mean melt like butter, you always take everything so literal, point is the canopy would not keep its shape at that temp and likely be unusable.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Last edited by jrman83; 08-01-2021 at 02:00 PM..
Old 08-01-2021, 01:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I've owned 20+ helis and this is the hottest of the bunch. I did temp gun it in the past and it wasn't alarmingly high (I'll do it again in the summer heat of 90 we're now experiencing to get a number), but cooler is better, so thought there might be some suggestions there. In one of those referenced 'many posts' someone offered a rule-of-thumb measure of , "Can you keep your finger on the motor for 3+ seconds" kind of benchmark.
I'll recheck the mechanics.

515kv. iKON gov
RCFred is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd guess this is a Specter, right? I run my motor lash and tail belt (depending on which tail version you have) on the loose side and have never had temps go over 120-130. Neither of those need to be super tight, but both can increase temps if really tight. I run a 4530HS, so a little different there.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2021, 05:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFred View Post
In one of those referenced 'many posts' someone offered a rule-of-thumb measure of , "Can you keep your finger on the motor for 3+ seconds" kind of benchmark.
2 seconds puts you in about the 50-60C range. As long as your not a masochist.

60C is kinda a magic number that most people will pull their hand away instinctively. YMMV
Old 08-01-2021, 06:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

RCFred, you can adjust the timing lower and see what that does. Try 5 degrees. I know the recommendation is 9, but that's just a starting point.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

when my goblin 500 was getting hot (motor and ESC both were - ESC was getting hot enough to produce warnings via telemetry) it was because I had the wrong gearing. Dropped the pinion tooth count and all was better. It was used heli. Someone had installed optional pinion for some reason.
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in