Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

View Poll Results: If you could only have one
800+ 5 2.78%
690-710 82 45.56%
630-670 1 0.56%
590-610 11 6.11%
560-580 15 8.33%
525-550 33 18.33%
425-480 10 5.56%
360-380 10 5.56%
315-335 2 1.11%
190-210 7 3.89%
micro 4 2.22%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2021, 11:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

M1 no doubt.
Gentcpa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2021, 05:37 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

xl power specter 700 at the moment. I love it!
XL Power Specter 700 v1 & v2
fiddle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2021, 05:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly at parks and at AMA fields. 380 is the only size that can do both.
mlp3028 likes this.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:14 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Logo 550SX would be the one
Old 07-29-2021, 03:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

A helicopter from a company that would not go out of business, so parts would always be available
torque is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2021, 11:19 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

In stealth mode to avoid 40 minutes to the club: Logo 200
At the club: Glogo
Old 07-30-2021, 07:19 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another similar thread a while back got me thinking: What would I choose if I could only have one... but..... I had the full budget and resources that I currently spread among a bunch of helis, to lavish upon it.

Maybe a Takumi, with another spare airframe in spares? Banshee 850 if I could find one?

I honestly don't know. It would be difficult for me because I love the variety and I enjoy flying the 450s as well as the 800s - it's a very different flying experience.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2021, 07:48 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Goblin 700 Carbon Comp!
Old 08-01-2021, 06:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you could only have one tool, which would it be - plyers, microscope, tweezers, brass hammer...???

See where I'm going with this? Right tool for the right job.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:47 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillian View Post
Another similar thread a while back got me thinking: What would I choose if I could only have one... but..... I had the full budget and resources that I currently spread among a bunch of helis, to lavish upon it.

Maybe a Takumi, with another spare airframe in spares? Banshee 850 if I could find one?

I honestly don't know. It would be difficult for me because I love the variety and I enjoy flying the 450s as well as the 800s - it's a very different flying experience.

Yeah I really like thinking about this question - like which of my helicopters do I like best and why?

I think most people fly helis the same way people fly rc planes. I've never met a plane guy who only has one model or one size. They seem to always have a foamy, a "crunchy", a warbird, a glider, a 3d plane, a gas plane...... and on and on

That's the way I describe my 9lb TDR 800 and my TDF to people. I tell them they are what I fly when I want to relax (like a glider). When I feel like beating the crap out of something I reach for my Align or Logo or Oxy
trillian and jcmors like this.
Lynx Heli field rep. lynxheli.com
wstuart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2021, 08:03 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Times have changed when i look at that poll .when i stopped flying 600's were the go to heli for most everyone and a 700 was something you added to your fleet as a splurge.
CrackSmacklePop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2021, 08:20 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you could only have one tool, which would it be - plyers, microscope tweezers, brass hammer???

Old 08-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjvail View Post
If you could only have one tool, which would it be - plyers, microscope tweezers, brass hammer???

Got it, you would rather fly tools.

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle. Robert Anthony.
Heliwhisperer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2021, 09:33 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flying tool .

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle. Robert Anthony.
Heliwhisperer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2021, 11:16 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliwhisperer View Post
Got it, you would rather fly tools.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:55 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

I voted 480, but plan on making a 700 series nitro my future workhorse.

Upon entering this hobby I was a bit overly enthusiastic and acquired a wide spectrum of heli models in both electric and nitro. Over time though I slimmed the fleet down to just 2 models so I could keep a ready supply of parts around:

- MSH Protos 500
- SAB 380 (Gen 1)

The MSH protos 500 has had a surprisingly long parts support history so I just keep flying it. Not the easiest to work on due to the servo layout, but very lightweight heli that is cheap to fix as many of the parts are plastic in place of machined aluminum. Basically a great beater heli.

SAB 380 was a keeper for me as a take just about anywhere heli. Parts are reasonable, but not as affordable as the Protos though. A very visually pleasing heli whether flying or sitting on a table in my opinion.

In the future as I wear out these airframes I think I may just settle on nitro only. I would then have a single fuel source that works for all. When changing electric airframes I try to find models that share similar size batteries, but that rarely works out.

Waiting on the sidelines for now on nitro though to see what/when/if Synergy comes up with or may splurge on a SAB Raw nitro.

Being in this hobby awhile I have found that focusing on only one or two unique airframes works best for me. Otherwise I spend too much time, effort, and money trying to keep a fleet flyable. I have several other hobbies and interest so to keep from getting overwhelmed by helis (Like I did when I started) I feel less is more in my situation.
Shear Pin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default If you could only one helicopter

Seeing helis as “tools” is one thing I cannot do. For me it’s all about having gorgeous things that fly and that are easy to maintain and with good parts availability. SAB’s Goblins have been able to do that for me. They’re relatively inexpensive to maintain but they are very expensive to repair.

So I don’t really see them as tools. Actually as much as I like Goblins I would offload my small ones as I definitely like 500+ size and although one is too few I would be ok with my 500 and 570 for now. I said the 570 if only one before in the spirit of this thread but two is the absolute minimum for me. The 500 and 570 share some parts but fly slightly different. To me the purpose of having more than one is not to have one for each need but as backup when crashing.

I will admit I struggle with the repair bills so a Logo 200 would be more of a tool indeed much like the sim does for me. Not free crashes but way less expensive than 500+ size. But I wouldn’t have just the tool just like I wouldn’t have just the sim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trillian likes this.
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
Seeing helis as “tools” is one thing I cannot do. For me it’s all about having gorgeous things that fly and that are easy to maintain and with good parts availability. SAB’s Goblins have been able to do that for me. They’re relatively inexpensive to maintain but they are very expensive to repair.

So I don’t really see them as tools.
I wonder if "right tool for the right job" isn't more of an adage? The adage might be used to suggest that there isn't a single tool that fits all needs? As it applies to this discussion it might be used to say that a 470 helicopter might be a good choice for flying from a golf course, park or garden and a 700 might be a better choice for a FAI contest. If you only fly from a park the OP's question has a different answer than if you only fly big air at fun-flys. If you fly both, there is no answer to the OP's question.

They are tools in the sense that they are a device that allows me to achieve a goal; however, if we are being literal, I would admit they are much more toys than tools.
wjvail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

This subject is a dangerous as telling your wife she has too many shoes.

Maybe another poll could be ‘because you have more than one helicopter, would you:’
— Buy multiple identical setups
— Have a wide range of sizes
— Buy multiple brands or just one
— etc…
Old 08-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

700 Hands down
Diabolo 600, 700, 800, Soxos 7.1, Soxos 7.1 Light, SAB Kraken 700, Kraken KSE 700, SAB Black Nitro tri blade, SAB Black Nitro, Avant Aurora, Miniature Aircraft Stratus, XCell '99 SE, XCell Fury, XCell 1005, Raptor 50, Gaui 400, Concept 30
vtaildriver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in