Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rdlohr
  • 1 Post By sbv1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2016, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Helifreak site restrictions - How long after sign up?

I have sent some Newbies to Helifreak and they keep asking me how long do new users have to wait before site restrictions are removed?
And what restrictions are withheld at initial sign up?

The "modification period"?

Unable to find info in the FAQ's.

Please point me the way if anyone knows.

Thanks, Alan
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2016, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

Just a few posts ....
Old 07-17-2016, 06:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by azheliman View Post
I have sent some Newbies to Helifreak and they keep asking me how long do new users have to wait before site restrictions are removed?
And what restrictions are withheld at initial sign up?

The "modification period"?

Unable to find info in the FAQ's.

Please point me the way if anyone knows.

Thanks, Alan
A few posts, or a few days (don't know the exact numbers, would not post if I knew anyway - explanation later).

Restrictions are:
- Posts are moderated (to allow review before being generally available (if not rejected by HF Support within 24 hours, they become available).
- Attachments are not permitted.
- Unable to change avatar.

Once the post and/or time count has been reached, posts become live immediately.

The sign-up period restrictions are to limit the possible damage by new accounts (mainly spam bots and advertisers - also allows time for checking for duplicate accounts).

This is why HF has VERY little (if any) unsolicited advertising within the post content. Bad posts and accounts are generally removed before any trouble ensues (often before being seen).
Old 07-17-2016, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks so much for the info update, I will pass this on to my Newbie friends. I get the need for web security, and Helifreak is a great site. Thanks for all your hard work!.

Regards, Alan
Old 08-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default thanks

I was wondering this same thing, as a newbie i dont mind trial period its just good to know it will end
1kgreg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's actually a great filter. If you have the patience to wait to become a real person on the forum, you probably have the patience to learn to fly helis!

Old 08-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I mostly read as I am still new to helis, and havent posted much, and I am still restricted after a long time, so id say its by post not by time.
Car6on14 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2016, 02:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car6on14 View Post
I mostly read as I am still new to helis, and havent posted much, and I am still restricted after a long time, so id say its by post not by time.
This is correct.

No restrictions on reading.

Posting restrictions remain until you have posted enough.

Posting restrictions are:
- Posts do not appear immediately. This allows for administration moderation. If no admin action taken, the post becomes visible in 24 hours.
- No attachments to messages.

As an admin, if I see a message that is still at moderation status, and it conforms to all the rules of the site (relevancy, decency, not advertising, etc...), then I approve it immediately (no 24 hour wait).

Also, as an admin, if I see a message that violates the rules of the site (moderated or not), I may also take action immediately (from friendly PM, to deleting the message and infracting the account out of existence - dependent on site rule transgression).

If you have want to bring admin notice to a message, report it. It brings the message (and you ) to the admin attention. It can be worked with from there.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

I am here since the end of last week and I am still waiting to be set free, so my posts are shown immediatly.

You as administrators are doing a good job to keep the forum clean, but I have the following problem: if I started a thread and someone is helping me in writing some good tipps, I am in the queue to give a fast feedback or just a "thank you". As a workaround I used a PM, but this should not be the way.
Due to my profession(i studied Mathematics and Informatics in the mid 80s) and my age(56) I started using Mailboxes (first kind of forums) with accousticcouplers and modems. After that, in the beginning of the 90s, the nongraphics version of the internet and so on. Believe me, I know what you are doing is necessary and I am thankful, that you are doing that.
But a thread which describes how the new users posts are handled would be nice.

Thanks for your understanding.

sincerely
Michael
sbv1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbv1 View Post
Hi,

I am here since the end of last week and I am still waiting to be set free, so my posts are shown immediatly.

You as administrators are doing a good job to keep the forum clean, but I have the following problem: if I started a thread and someone is helping me in writing some good tipps, I am in the queue to give a fast feedback or just a "thank you". As a workaround I used a PM, but this should not be the way.
Due to my profession(i studied Mathematics and Informatics in the mid 80s) and my age(56) I started using Mailboxes (first kind of forums) with accousticcouplers and modems. After that, in the beginning of the 90s, the nongraphics version of the internet and so on. Believe me, I know what you are doing is necessary and I am thankful, that you are doing that.
But a thread which describes how the new users posts are handled would be nice.

Thanks for your understanding.

sincerely
Michael
We understand that it is painful for very new users, but you will be past it before you know it. Sorry for the aggravation in the mean time.

Rick
sbv1 likes this.
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2021, 11:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
We understand that it is painful for very new users, but you will be past it before you know it. Sorry for the aggravation in the mean time.

Rick
Hi,

thanks for your answer, verything is fine!

Kind regards
michael
rdlohr likes this.
sbv1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2021, 11:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post

Rick
Well since the staff at Heli Freak is so aware of how painful it is for very new users.

How about telling people who need to register:
Hey not a member of Heli Freak, well then just click this link and head on over to our "painful" registration process, where you'll be treated like you are guilty until proven innocent, so we can make sure you are not a bot.

I know you are trying to keep out bots, but don't you think you may be turning off some potential legitimate members?

I wasn't registered here and it kept telling me stuff like you can't access that you are not registered. Then I went and registered and I still get you don't have access to that. So why bother to register, I can't even look at another users public profile??? It does say public right? I'm not looking for access to social security numbers....

I just had to vent, I think the site is excellent for rc heli information, and I am sure there are many great members on here as well as the staff who keeps it all going.

It was just the line "we are aware of how painful it is for very new users" seems counter intuitive for a hobby that could really use some new users.

I wonder when this post will be suitable for viewing, maybe never. I wrote it at 12:21pm on 8/11/21.

And I am not a bot, how dare you!!!!
Lymangood is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lymangood View Post

And I am not a bot, how dare you!!!!
Once again, sorry.
Rick
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in