Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > OXY HELI

OXY HELI OXY HELI Factory Support Forum

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By zadaw
  • 1 Post By jrman83
  • 1 Post By oxidant
  • 1 Post By zadaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2021, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Oxy 1 - Is It Time To Revisit This Topic Again?

Many countries around the world have enacted or are in the process of enacting legislation for UAVs. It seems that 250g (0.55lbs) is the limit above which registration of the model and/or the operator is required. Depending on the country, each model may have to be individually registered, a device for sending ID information, keeping flight logs and even issuing a warning should the UAV enter restricted air space.

Moreover depending on the country, UAV over 250g cannot be flown near people, property, or vehicles from 30m to 150m. These restriction could make it very difficult for people to fly RC helicopters over 250g. I can't but help thinking that sales of helicopters over 250g will be severely affected. That is unless most people are prepared to flout the laws.

So I wonder is it the time for Luca to seriously consider producing a helicopter below 250g including the battery? It could be something like the Blade 180CFX or 150S. All electronics may have to be included with the product. Right now, I am very impressed with the Eachine E180/Yu Xiang F180 although it is above 250g. The flight characteristics of the E180 is very close to that of a micro Brain controlled Oxy 2.

I would be interested in hearing your comments.
navigator2011 and Gyropilot like this.

Last edited by zadaw; 07-31-2021 at 05:29 AM..
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2021, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nope! He's got 2-700s on the table that are coming out first. The many months it will take those to get to production and stock stores with parts will take up quite a bit of time. For both, talking another year to even consider it assuming no engineering changes required to the 700s. I think Lynx could do it, but with competition like the M1, why even try?
KiwiBlair likes this.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2021, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
Nope! He's got 2-700s on the table that are coming out first. The many months it will take those to get to production and stock stores with parts will take up quite a bit of time. For both, talking another year to even consider it assuming no engineering changes required to the 700s. I think Lynx could do it, but with competition like the M1, why even try?
Maybe because of this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
However so far, I have not flown any heli with a DD with flight characteristics so similar to a micro Brain controlled Oxy 2.
It is the reason I have yet not tried an omp because I like flying with my spirit. I am extremely tempted though as I am interested to see what it is like.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

What I am really thinking of is helis of a size between OMPHobby 1 and 2. In fact, European members on RC Groups have been asking for that. Since they will be required to fly 150M from buildings and people from sometime next year. They will have to go far out into the countryside in other to fly and will thus hit the hobby very hard. Our situation in Hong Kong is even worse, a device that can issue warning should the UAV enter restricted airspace will be required. Since no such devices are available for helis, this will constitute effectively a ban of all helis over 250g.

The OMPHobby M1 may be the best submicro at the moment but it doesn't mean it can't be improved. There are a number of more durable 3rd party parts available for it. Moreover like the M2, the gyro could be improved. I much prefer the flight characteristics of the E180 to both the M1 and M2.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

We tried to convince Luca a couple of years ago that this type of heli was "needed" but he decided to put resources elsewhere (for good or for bad). Personally I think that he missed out on a big opportunity; I think he underestimated how many of us are stuck flying in the city 95% of the time. There is a reason the M1 is selling so well.
tryzub is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I suspect the problem would be price. I think that if keeping the expected oxy quality and the investment costs of developing his own flight controller and electronics, the price would be far more than most people were prepared to pay for a heli of that size.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie View Post
I suspect the problem would be price. I think that if keeping the expected oxy quality and the investment costs of developing his own flight controller and electronics, the price would be far more than most people were prepared to pay for a heli of that size.
Could it be made without an FC and people could put their own? I know spirit has the ability for tail motors and fairly sure Ikon/Brain does. Or is this too complicated of a setup for something so small? Never really thought about it until you brought your point up.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarks View Post
Could it be made without an FC and people could put their own? I know spirit has the ability for tail motors and fairly sure Ikon/Brain does. Or is this too complicated of a setup for something so small? Never really thought about it until you brought your point up.
I think the problem might become weight, every gram counts on these helis. If you look at helis in the sub 250g class the flight controllers and ESC are invariably open pcb boards designed specifically for the heli so as to save a few grams. If you start adding standard components you might not be able to hit the <250g target.

Maybe a standard uSpirit or Micro Brain could be accommodated but even then i suspect hitting a realistic price point might be a challenge for Oxy. They have higher cost base than the Chinese brands that typically sell these micro helis.

Having said that.. the Logo 200 perhaps re-writes the rule book about how much people are willing to pay for a really good micro. So maybe time to look at it again after all.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

250g is nothing. If we can't a true heli outdoors I think this hobby is dead in the water to me.
Weule likes this.
oxidant is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2021, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie View Post
I think the problem might become weight, every gram counts on these helis. If you look at helis in the sub 250g class the flight controllers and ESC are invariably open pcb boards designed specifically for the heli so as to save a few grams. If you start adding standard components you might not be able to hit the <250g target.

Maybe a standard uSpirit or Micro Brain could be accommodated but even then i suspect hitting a realistic price point might be a challenge for Oxy. They have higher cost base than the Chinese brands that typically sell these micro helis.

Having said that.. the Logo 200 perhaps re-writes the rule book about how much people are willing to pay for a really good micro. So maybe time to look at it again after all.
Fair points. I guess weight would be the biggest factor I suppose, which I didn't think of.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is definitely possible to fit a standard FBL unit in and maintaining a reasonable price. The Shape S2 has a Nanobeast built in and is sold for 269 Euros in Europe including VAT. This is just slightly more than the price of a Blade 150 S there.

https://www.helistore.fr/en/shape-he...pe-s2-pnp.html

To get the price lower, Luca could try approaching WL Toys, which is reported to be behind the FC of the OMP M1 and M2, and Eachine E180.

In any case, I believe fliers would be prepared to pay premium for a sub 250g to avoid the hassle of registering and possibly fitting the heli with sort sort of device.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Oxy 1 - Is It Time To Revisit This Topic Again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryzub View Post
We tried to convince Luca a couple of years ago that this type of heli was "needed" but he decided to put resources elsewhere (for good or for bad). Personally I think that he missed out on a big opportunity; I think he underestimated how many of us are stuck flying in the city 95% of the time. There is a reason the M1 is selling so well.
Exactly. Even Luca magic would have a hard time competing with the OMP 1/2. I gave up waiting for an Oxy <2 and went with the Logo 200 and VControl Touch for my stealth flying, I can't see an Oxy 1 being good enough to make me switch.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The OMP M2 is well over 250g so it won't be exempted under the new regulations. Many will find the M1 too small to their liking. Besides, there are people who will never fly a heli with a direct drive tail.

Luca can try to cut a deal with well known FC manufacturers like Shape with BeastX. He has got his own branded servos already, Besides he has plans and molds for many Blade 180 CFX components which he can use as the basis for a heli.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

It would be my guess that if many would find the M1 too small to their liking, as you state, the same would hold true for an Oxy 1.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2021, 09:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
It would be my guess that if many would find the M1 too small to their liking, as you state, the same would hold true for an Oxy 1.
There is no choice if they want to keep below 250g. When it comes, the impact of the 250g limit is anybody' guess.

By the way, the Blade 150s is much larger than the M1 in the air and it is only 167g without batteries. The M1 weighs 118g without batteries, you can easily make a much larger helicopter below 250g even including batteries.
ini_ likes this.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryzub View Post
Yep, this!!!

I tried.
navigator2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
There is no choice if they want to keep below 250g. When it comes, the impact of the 250g limit is anybody' guess.

By the way, the Blade 150s is much larger than the M1 in the air and it is only 167g without batteries. The M1 weighs 118g without batteries, you can easily make a much larger helicopter below 250g even including batteries.
For example, if the M1 is too small, and a VP tail is essential, with a little tail tuning a Blade Fusion 180 with a micro-Brain can perform just as well as an OMP M2, and it'll come in at around 240 grams all up.
navigator2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2021, 07:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

But that would put it into direct competition against its Oxy2; inventory is another problem. Unless they can share some common parts or make it a sub branch of the Oxy2 (or variants).

Devise a new model under current environment is not easy and even risky…and I think Lynx don’t want to make a new model to cause trouble.

But I do hope some manufacturers could provide us a decent kit set of micro heli, better under 250 gram AUW. I would love to build one. So far I think Lynx is one of (if not the only) potential candidates to achieve that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HumanYeung is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in