Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Thomas.Heiss
  • 1 Post By ticedoff8
  • 1 Post By Thomas.Heiss
  • 1 Post By Thomas.Heiss
  • 1 Post By ticedoff8
  • 1 Post By Imzzaudae

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2021, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Futaba T6J programming question

Hello,
This is the first time Ive used this radio for helicopters. The helicopter i am using is a OMP M2 V2. To anyone who is familiar with this radio, I am having problems putting in a normal pitch curve. below is the curve i am trying to put in. My radio only allows for 0 to 100%. Is there something i am missing to put in a negative number?

Throttle............... Pitch

5... 100............. 100... 12deg

4... 75............... 65...... 6deg

3... 60............... 15...... 1.8deg

2... 40............... -5....... -0.6deg

1... 0................. -20..... -2.4deg

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
mark10409 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Mark,

some radios with predefined pitch menus in the firmware don't support a -100..0..+100 curve.

If the curve is fixed to 0..50..100 points this mean ZERO pitch is at the 3rd point at 50.

0 = -100 = -12 degree.
100 = +100 = +12 degree.

The Futaba manual should give you an idea / suggestion what curves to put in and if you have to use 0 at the lowest point or -100.

Sorry, I am not a Futaba guy and the T6J is quite old.
Newer transmitters with a different Futaba firmware might make it differently.

You are free to use servo CH6 subtrim function to properly go for exact ZERO pitch at the mid position (50).
I wouldn't touch min/max CH6 servo endpoints to decrease collective pitch for positive and negative as long as the OMP M2 FBL supports fine-tuning.
With different helis like XK K110 or Blade Nano we don't have those options so I touch the CH6 servo values.

Make sure that the OMP M2 swashplate is correctly moved on the main shaft into the middle so you can have equal travel or negative and positive pitch.
If the mechanical swashplate setup is wrong or out of center you first need to fix this and only later do fine-tuning in the FBL or with CH6 collective pitch servo values (subtrim, min, max).

For 0..50..100 collective pitch (CH6) curves I would go down to 30..40..50..75..100 to lower the negative pitch.

40 might not be enough outdoor with wind so you may want a bit more negative collective pitch so your starting pitch point could be 30...40..50...

Sorry, I don't own the Futaba or the M2.

Does this help you a bit?

Best regards from Germany
mark10409 likes this.
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2021, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a dedicated forum for Futaba radios - that is the best place to post your question.

In general, when using a transmitter for a helicopter, you start by figuring out how to create a "Helicopter" model as the starting point.
That will create a new model that has all the mixing and settings as a starting point to tailor the transmitter's settings for your helicopter.
The Futaba T6G has a "helicopter" profile, so you need to start fresh with a new "Model" using the Helicopter profile.

Assuming you do that, then there is no "Throttle" stick. In RC helicopter parlance, there is a "Collective" stick that will mix the "Throttle" function and the "Pitch" functions together when the Collective stick is moved.

Then, assuming you have created a new "Helicopter" model, the "Pitch Curve" should allow you to set the main rotor pitch from -100% (collective stick full-down), 0% (collective stick at center), +100% (collective stick full-up) and the "Throttle Curve" independently from 0% (collective stick full-down), +100% (collective stick full up).

If, for some strange reason, the T6G does not support a Pitch Curve that starts at -100%, then you have to assume the Pitch Curve is going to be 0% (down), +50% (center), +100% (up) where 0% will result in -12 main blade pitch, +50% will result in 0 main blade pitch and +100% will result in +12 main blade pitch (as an example).

In the end, the OMP M2 V2's flight controller was designed to use Spektrum transmitters, not Futaba.
You may be better off trying to get one of the OMP T6 transmitters that also supports telemetry.

However, if you are dedicated to making the T6J work, download the manual and see what you can do:
https://futabausa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/6J.pdf
mark10409 likes this.

Last edited by ticedoff8; 09-03-2021 at 12:21 PM..
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2021, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is the Futaba S-FHSS receiver: https://ohiomodelplanes.com/products...30176737394731
mark10409 likes this.
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Old 09-03-2021, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The OMP protocol may support telemetry which is good, but the T6 radio doesn't seem to have a display or count-down timer.

The OMP protocol IMHO only makes sense (with the option of telemetry) with the usage of a multi-protocol radio (OpenTX, DeviationTX) and using a HF module with firmware from P. L.

Afaik Futaba S-FHSS protocol doesn't support telemetry. That would be T-FHSS which the T6J doesn't support as well.
mark10409 likes this.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The OMP T6 is not a Futaba T6G.
I have no experience with the OMP products, but I would suggest that it was safe to assume that if one were to purchase the combo-kit that included the OMP T6 transmitter, it would be easier to setup and support the limited "telemetry".

From the picture of the OMP T6, it looks like the heli's battery level is displayed on the 5-LED light bar towards the bottom center (next to the blue airplane icon).
mark10409 likes this.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2021, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

0 is maximum negative.
50 is flat blades.
100 is maximum positive pitch.

Set Pitch servo endpoints at 100
Level Swash

Do a zero pitch setup. 0 25 50 75 100 pitch curve in transmitter.
See youtube Adjust the servo linkages. Blades flat no pitch at center graduation mark.
You must do this before anything else.

Then you can set minimum and maximum pitch in the servo endpoint menu. And then set up your flying pitch curve via the pitch curve menu if your flying other than 0 25 50 75 100.

mark10409 likes this.
Imzzaudae is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2021, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, The futaba manual on this area does not show any examples, the only comment was you can input 0-100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas.Heiss View Post
Hi Mark,

some radios with predefined pitch menus in the firmware don't support a -100..0..+100 curve.

If the curve is fixed to 0..50..100 points this mean ZERO pitch is at the 3rd point at 50.

0 = -100 = -12 degree.
100 = +100 = +12 degree.

The Futaba manual should give you an idea / suggestion what curves to put in and if you have to use 0 at the lowest point or -100.

Sorry, I am not a Futaba guy and the T6J is quite old.
Newer transmitters with a different Futaba firmware might make it differently.

You are free to use servo CH6 subtrim function to properly go for exact ZERO pitch at the mid position (50).
I wouldn't touch min/max CH6 servo endpoints to decrease collective pitch for positive and negative as long as the OMP M2 FBL supports fine-tuning.
With different helis like XK K110 or Blade Nano we don't have those options so I touch the CH6 servo values.

Make sure that the OMP M2 swashplate is correctly moved on the main shaft into the middle so you can have equal travel or negative and positive pitch.
If the mechanical swashplate setup is wrong or out of center you first need to fix this and only later do fine-tuning in the FBL or with CH6 collective pitch servo values (subtrim, min, max).

For 0..50..100 collective pitch (CH6) curves I would go down to 30..40..50..75..100 to lower the negative pitch.

40 might not be enough outdoor with wind so you may want a bit more negative collective pitch so your starting pitch point could be 30...40..50...

Sorry, I don't own the Futaba or the M2.

Does this help you a bit?

Best regards from Germany
Old 09-04-2021, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, I did purchase the futaba module for this and i was able to bind the radio with the helicopter no problem. Im thinking that i might possibly leave this radio for my fixed wing and pick up a new one more suited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
There is a dedicated forum for Futaba radios - that is the best place to post your question.

In general, when using a transmitter for a helicopter, you start by figuring out how to create a "Helicopter" model as the starting point.
That will create a new model that has all the mixing and settings as a starting point to tailor the transmitter's settings for your helicopter.
The Futaba T6G has a "helicopter" profile, so you need to start fresh with a new "Model" using the Helicopter profile.

Assuming you do that, then there is no "Throttle" stick. In RC helicopter parlance, there is a "Collective" stick that will mix the "Throttle" function and the "Pitch" functions together when the Collective stick is moved.

Then, assuming you have created a new "Helicopter" model, the "Pitch Curve" should allow you to set the main rotor pitch from -100% (collective stick full-down), 0% (collective stick at center), +100% (collective stick full-up) and the "Throttle Curve" independently from 0% (collective stick full-down), +100% (collective stick full up).

If, for some strange reason, the T6G does not support a Pitch Curve that starts at -100%, then you have to assume the Pitch Curve is going to be 0% (down), +50% (center), +100% (up) where 0% will result in -12 main blade pitch, +50% will result in 0 main blade pitch and +100% will result in +12 main blade pitch (as an example).

In the end, the OMP M2 V2's flight controller was designed to use Spektrum transmitters, not Futaba.
You may be better off trying to get one of the OMP T6 transmitters that also supports telemetry.

However, if you are dedicated to making the T6J work, download the manual and see what you can do:
https://futabausa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/6J.pdf
Old 09-04-2021, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just wanted to say thank you for all the help on this!! much appreciated!!

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in