Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters

Gasser Helicopters Gasser Specific Discussion

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2021, 04:01 PM   #181 (permalink)
Registered Users

I made it out this weekend...finally! After going to IRCHA earlier this month, I was hoping to get inspired to fly again. Covid and my back (still having spinal stenosis issues) kept me from flying and I lost the urge to fly...a nice day...I'll just sit at home.

I bought two new helis there, and now it is time to maiden both! First up, the new Goblin Raw. This is an awesome heli...compared to the original Goblin 700. Its more of a pod and boom with the boom being 35mm in diameter and aluminum! It shows up nicely in the air. It doesn't feel like the older 700 does, but more like a traditional heli. It took about 3 flights to get it dialed in to my likings...just need to work on the rpm settings. Autos are faster than I would like...I'm using the stock SAB blades that comes with the kit. I'll try a set of Rail blades, see how those feel! And the best part, Carey has a gas conversion kit! I saw the first Goblin Raw gasser at IRCHA while hanging out with Doug Darby and friends. It flies quite well as a gasser, but missed my chance to get a flight on it. That's ok! I know where I can get a conversion kit! Maybe buy another Goblin Raw??? The gas conversion looks great on this heli!

Next up is the Protos Nitro 700. I stopped in to see my buddy Scott from Cajun Aircraft and noticed he was carrying the Protos line of helis. Low and behold, he had 2 nitro kits on display...mine! After talking with a couple of pilots who flies them, I bought one of the kits available there. It was fun carrying this kit down the flight line by the electric venders, they gave me dirty looks! No electric motors or ESC's for me, it's nitro!

This heli is very light, around 8-1/2 to 9 pounds. I also bought the new 1st main blades for it. This was a new released blade to come to market. Helidirect received the very first batch and I managed to be in the right place at the right time. I bought the set in orange, and it matches the canopy color. I also bought a set of matching tail blades, but in yellow...the orange color blades went fast! The 1st blades feels a bit like the Rail blades, but a bit more sound, they bark when hitting the cyclic fast/hard, but not as much as you would think. And the auto very well!

The first flight on the Protos was a dream! I had some adjusting to do in the controller, which took a few flights. I started getting my old rhythm back on the very first flight. I felt very comfortable with this heli like the way I fly my N7's...Raja seen me fly my N7's at IRCHA. The only issue I had was I lost 3 8mm screws holding the battery tray to the frame. The 4th one was half way out! I think I forgot to loctite them while I was wiring the heli. I had spares in my flight box, an easy fix! About the only thing I don't like is the super flexible "Gorilla Gear". It's too flexible! I have an idea how to stiffen it up some...time will tell.

Saturday was a hot one here in Illinois. 94 degrees, 60% humid, 5-10 mph winds, with blue skies and big puffy clouds. I put up 4 flights on my Goblin Raw and 3 on the Protos. Today, I managed 3 flights on the Raw just before the rains showed up. It lasted about 2 hours, turned very humid, and then quit! Sunny, humid, and very hot! I'll wait until next weekend, it will be cooler...high 70's, low 80's. Yep, fall is coming!

Goblin Raw = 7
Protos Nitro = 3

Total so far = 20
rbort likes this.

Citizen 654

Last edited by rcnut; 08-29-2021 at 04:12 PM..
rcnut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #182 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Weekend flying

Yesterday was plank racing day. It took me three tries to complete one 15 minute flight. Today was pretty hot again. Put two flights on whiplash V1. Rest of the time spent on fine tuning buddies gasser. Finally got it going.
Mongoose orange # 78
Whiplash 800 # 42
Whiplash V2 # 59
Whiplash V1 # 10
Other airstar # 1

Total # 190
Raj
sonnweid92 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2021, 08:28 PM   #183 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Outing yesterday in the back yard

Working on a customer's Trex 500 with the H1 autopilot. I installed all the hardware in it and changed connectors on 3 batteries he bought for it to make everything work. Had to do the PC setup on the H1 and only thing that isn't working right is the compass calibration. Anyone ever setup one of these? I kept doing it over and over but it never completes just goes around and around in circles with the bars. I tried inside, outside, with out without batteries and radio, same issue.

I did fly the heli in 3D mode and did all the setup with the trims and programming and gains and such. That part is good. All in all I was in the air with it just over 15 minutes so call it a flight.

Customer's Trex 500X = 1

2021 count:

Ansy's Ugly Stick = 1
Alex's Trex 700 = 1
Chris's V1200 = 1
Customer's Electric Hex = 5
Customer's Parus 6 = 1
Customer's Trex 450L = 3
Customer's Trex 500X = 1
Customer's Turbine Hex = 55
Customer's Turbine Whiplash = 11
Customer's VTOL12 = 1
Customer's Whiplash V1 = 4
Dave's OMP M2 = 1
Dave's Trex 450L = 1
Dave's Trex 550L with H1 = 3
Fireball = 3
Gordon's Turbine Whiplash = 1
John's Edge 540 = 1
MA 1005 = 88
Spectra-g = 26
Taylorcraft = 4
Ultrasport 60 = 3
Whiplash Turbine = 1
Whiplash V1-2N = 35
Whiplash V2 = 90

Total = 338

I need to go to the field and turn some rotors for me. Today I did lots of weeding in the yard and some debris cleanup and then the Mrs. and I went for a 16 mile bike ride.

-=>Raja.
Jewel on-board Generators, Miniature Aircraft Team Manager
rbort is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2021, 10:04 PM   #184 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Today in Fresno

It was nice and not too hot this morning. High 60 s to high 70 s from 0800 am to 1100 am. They finished repairing the runway for planks yesterday and therefore no planks were allowed today. Just me and my helis. I put 4 flights on whiplash V1 and 2 on V2. The temps are going to be about the same tomorrow morning too.
Mongoose orange # 78
Whiplash 800 # 42
Whiplash V2 # 61
Whiplash V1 # 14
Other airstar # 1

Total # 196

Raj
Old 09-02-2021, 07:13 PM   #185 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Outing today in Medfield

Went out to turn some rotors and try my Whiplash again after I serviced the head last night and changed the dampeners plus replaced the worn out head axle that's been in there for years. My God the axle bolts were so hard to break free its been too long since I did service on this thing. I also put in new thrust bearings they ran for 1031 flights time to replace those a 1000 flights is good enough one looked good the other had some pitting from the balls.

It flew great today with headspeeds anywhere from 1550 to 1950. I have governor fine tuning of +/- 50 rpms so I can select any speed in this range.

Adam showed up with his girlfriend Heather and he was teaching her to fly a trainer foamy. They were flying right side I flew left side so we could fly together. They had an incident and lost the aircraft in the marsh to the right, he said the cheap receivers he is using need to be upgraded. I said orange receivers? He said no "worse". I said I fly Futaba I can't afford to have my helicopter lose the radio signal and go in like his today. He said it was his fault they flew a little too far and then lose the signal and couldn't turn it back. I will take my drone out nest outing to see if I can spot it. They didn't want to walk in water to get it.

Spectra-g = 1
Whiplash V2 = 2

2021 count:

Ansy's Ugly Stick = 1
Alex's Trex 700 = 1
Chris's V1200 = 1
Customer's Parus 6 = 1
Customer's Trex 450L = 3
Customer's Trex 500X = 1
Customer's VTOL12 = 1
Dave's OMP M2 = 1
Dave's Trex 450L = 1
Fireball = 3
John's Edge 540 = 1
MA 1005 = 88
Spectra-g = 27
Taylorcraft = 4
Ultrasport 60 = 3
Whiplash Turbine = 1
Whiplash V1-2N = 35
Whiplash V2 = 92

Total = 341

-=>Raja.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:50 PM   #186 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Today in Fresno

Nice and cool this morning. Temps around 68 with nice little breeze. Unfortunately I had very little time to fly today. Got two flights on the mongoose.
Mongoose orange # 80
Whiplash 800 # 42
Whiplash V2 #61
Whiplash V1 #14
Other airstar # 1

Total # 198

Raj
Old 09-05-2021, 10:29 PM   #187 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Outing this afternoon in Medfield

On the way in it was a drive through the river to get to the field. No worries of anyone driving in after me today, it seemed quite deep enough to detract the attraction to drive in because the gate is open.

Field was nice, today was quite calm surprisingly so. The lawn mower guy had not been there since I cut my area again, I can see my clippings still in the runway. I started out with the Spectra-g to try out the head maintenance I did on it, and glad to report I'm very happy with the way it flew and tracked perfectly like sharp razor blades. I did 3 flights with that and was satisfied and put it away.

Next up was the DJI Inspire. Adam lost his plane last time I was there in the marsh it was time to scout around for it. I spent the first flight looking for the plane but no luck at all finding it. I recharged a 2nd battery while I was there and on the second battery I found the plane finally way further out that he thought and way more left than what he told me. Planes seem to go down in a different place than you think as when they go behind the trees they are still flying and you think they hit where you last saw them though not always the case. Looks like its in water and quite a distance away, can't walk to it need a canoe to get it really...

DJI Inspire = 2
Spectra-g = 3

2021 count:

Ansy's Ugly Stick = 1
Alex's Trex 700 = 1
Chris's V1200 = 1
Customer's Parus 6 = 1
Customer's Trex 450L = 3
Customer's Trex 500X = 1
Customer's VTOL12 = 1
Dave's OMP M2 = 1
Dave's Trex 450L = 1
DJI Inspire = 2
Fireball = 3
John's Edge 540 = 1
MA 1005 = 88
Spectra-g = 30
Taylorcraft = 4
Ultrasport 60 = 3
Whiplash Turbine = 1
Whiplash V1-2N = 35
Whiplash V2 = 92

Total = 346

-=>Raja.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IJEA3064[1].JPG
Views:	20
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	930957  
Old 09-06-2021, 06:45 AM   #188 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went out yesterday...no Bill. It was nice being alone, gave me time to start fine tuning my 2 new helis...and think about it without a thousand questions from him. The older he is getting, the more he is forgetting. Plus, now I'm fixing his helis...

It was rather windy Saturday, 17 mph with gusting. 81 degrees, sunny with big puffy clouds. Today the winds will be 5 mph, clear skies, and plenty of sunshine!

I put up 4 flights on the Raw, did a little fine tuning in the radio. This heli is a blast to fly. Can't wait to try the gasser version!

I put up 5 flights on the Protos Nitro. 2 of the flights were working on the stop bounce in the tail...CCW. The tail would stop, but bound a bit more, very annoying! Also I increased the rotor gain some. It feels a bit soft.

Before going out, I managed to add a header tank. Due to the last time out, I ran out of fuel twice trying to determined how long the tank would last. Roughly 11-1/2 minutes worth of flight time per tank, but with the bubble-less clunk, that varied. So I added a header tank for now. I dropped the flight time on the timer to 8 minutes, which leaves me with 2 minutes of autos.

It was a great day to fly! Should be better today!

Goblin Raw = 4 (need more packs!)
Protos Nitro = 5

Total = 29
rbort likes this.

Citizen 654
Old 09-06-2021, 10:09 AM   #189 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ray...on the raw

Forget about spending money on packs, convert it to gas instead will fly alot longer for alot less hassle and no risk of fires...

-=>Raja.
Old 09-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #190 (permalink)
Registered Users

Especially if you run a generator into a self balancing LiFe pack!

I have only charged my Diabolo gasser one time and I’m over 150 flights.
rbort likes this.
dshriver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #191 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Today in Fresno

Back to the field this morning. Last week of hot weather and then it suppose to start cooling down some. Put 3 flights on Mongoose and 1 on whiplash V1.
Mongoose Orange # 83
Whiplash 800 # 42
Whiplash V2 # 61
Whiplash V1 # 15
Other airstar # 1

Total # 202

Raj
Old 09-07-2021, 02:55 AM   #192 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another fine day for flying! As the weatherman promised...blue skies, light winds, and plenty of sunshine! I give it a 10/10 day.

I got to the field earlier than I normally do, wanted to be there before Bill, in case he showed up. I wanted to test the Protos without wind being a factor. I played with the tail settings a bit more, but in the end, still have some tail bounce. Next time out I will try some Rail blades. I managed 3 flights on the Protos working some of my old maneuvers.

Then it was time for the Goblin Raw... I can't say enough about this heli, it flies so well. I normally don't do much with electrics as I'm not really a electric fan, but that is starting to change. I think a lot of it is due to the short flight times. I get 6-7 minutes for flight time with mine. Hence the reason for a couple more packs, that or buy a generator and start field charging the 4 I have.

I had a few spectators show up walking the walk path in the field. They enjoyed watching me fly my heli. So I had to stay out of their way while they were walking the path. Not a big deal as this area is big, plenty of room for the both of us. Many people bring their dogs for exercise.

Don't worry Raja...I am planning to buy another Raw kit and convert it to gas! And then possibly a nitro version... Just waiting for Carey to make conversion kits.

It feels good to get back out flying again!

Goblin Raw = 4
Protos = 3

Total = 36
rbort likes this.

Citizen 654
Old 09-07-2021, 07:29 PM   #193 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Outing this evening in Medfield

There was quite some breeze earlier in the day and I spent some time working on the new folding bike we got to setup a speedometer on it and still be able to fold it the way its supposed to work.

This afternoon I decided I should go have a flight or two and I grabbed the Whiplash as it was a late idea today left the house around 4pm. Thought maybe I'd catch Jeremy at the field before he leaves around 5pm but he was gone already when I arrived. The weather turned out perfect dead calm for the evening and I enjoyed 3 tanks with the Whiplash even though I had to pause several times to kill mosquitoes. Today I probably killed about 25 to 30 of them fending off the bites though 3 managed to get through. I thought I should keep count for each outing just to get an idea how bad those can be.

Whiplash V2 = 3

2021 count:

Ansy's Ugly Stick = 1
Alex's Trex 700 = 1
Chris's V1200 = 1
Customer's Parus 6 = 1
Customer's Trex 450L = 3
Customer's Trex 500X = 1
Customer's VTOL12 = 1
Dave's OMP M2 = 1
Dave's Trex 450L = 1
DJI Inspire = 2
Fireball = 3
John's Edge 540 = 1
MA 1005 = 88
Spectra-g = 30
Taylorcraft = 4
Ultrasport 60 = 3
Whiplash Turbine = 1
Whiplash V1-2N = 35
Whiplash V2 = 95

Total = 349

-=>Raja.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:39 PM   #194 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Outing this afternoon in Medfield

I missed Jeremy and the John(s) as I get there a little later than those guys but Jeremy left the gate open for me and I must have just missed him leaving -- field was empty when I arrived.

Shortly thereafter Alex showed up as I had the laptop with me to make some final adjustments on his Trex 500 and we bound it to his radio and flew it in manual first then GPS mode doing circle flight, figure 8 and return to home and land at the end. Everything worked perfectly with this build and he was able to pick it up today and go home as another happy customer

After he left I had time to put 4 flights on my Whiplash to get my 100k revs on my rotors and with some daylight left I decided to mow my spot before leaving to keep the grass short and deter mosquitoes. Left the field spic and span no trash to be pickup up all tidy and neat

Customer's Trex 500X = 1
Whiplash V2 = 4

2021 count:

Ansy's Ugly Stick = 1
Alex's Trex 700 = 1
Chris's V1200 = 1
Customer's Parus 6 = 1
Customer's Trex 450L = 3
Customer's Trex 500X = 2
Customer's VTOL12 = 1
Dave's OMP M2 = 1
Dave's Trex 450L = 1
DJI Inspire = 2
Fireball = 3
John's Edge 540 = 1
MA 1005 = 88
Spectra-g = 30
Taylorcraft = 4
Ultrasport 60 = 3
Whiplash Turbine = 1
Whiplash V1-2N = 35
Whiplash V2 = 99

Total = 354

Ran out of the first 2 1/4 gallon tank today and dug into the next one. May go back tomorrow for another flight or two we'll see or maybe a gas bike ride is on the horizon, I have to decide... Also need to trim bushes and work on the driveway sealing project...

-=>Raja.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:03 AM   #195 (permalink)
Registered Users

This weekend was a bit messed up weather wise. It was stinkin hot and somewhat humid Saturday, but not so bad Sunday, but still humid. And for some reason, I ran out of energy/desire to fly. I charged all 4 packs for the Raw, checked the heli over for anything loose or missing, and checked the belt tensions. However, it never saw the air...

Protos Nitro...

I put the Protos on the work bench and swapped out the 1st blades for a set of Rail 696 and 105's...for the tail. I've talked about doing this to see how the Protos would handle. So now is the time... I have noticed the main blade grips loosening up some. When I first installed the 1st. blades, the grips were very tight. After a few flights, they began to loosen up. I had to add thin washers to the Rail blades, and the grips are a lot better.

First flight (and only flight for the day) was amazingly better! The Rail blades did the trick...and I think other blades would work better as well...over the 1st. blades. The Protos tracked a lot better! No more bobbling in a straight line pass, as if it was very windy out. Winds today were around 8 mph. Still had the same cyclic and collective authority as the 1st. blades.

I flipped to inverted backwards, and it was smooth as silk. I was quite impressed at this point. I tried some fast tic-toc's, piece of cake... Everything I threw at this heli, it did like my Goblin Raw, and about as tight and controlled as the Raw.

I did manage to try a few autos...and just like my N7's, it floats! I'm looking forward to next weekend, which is looking to be another hot weekend... Come on weather! Cool down!

Even-though I only flew the Protos one flight, it was a night and day difference. I was beginning to loose energy, not feeling all that well, just wanted to pack up and go home...so I did. I laid down and fell asleep for 1-1/2 hours. I felt a little better, but my stomach didn't feel so well...something I ate?

Protos = 1

Total = 37

Citizen 654
Old 09-13-2021, 09:01 AM   #196 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ray

What blades did you compare the rail blades to? I like rails because their CG is balanced better for blade grip geometry there is no load on the links in flight.

I never got out yesterday, spent some time sealing cracks with hot rubber in the driveway, trimming the bushes and taking an 11 mile bike ride.

-=>Raja.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:31 AM   #197 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbort View Post
I missed Jeremy and the John(s) as I get there a little later than those guys but Jeremy left the gate open for me and I must have just missed him leaving -- field was empty when I arrived.

And to be clear - we had been there all day Raja shows up at dinner time - I was already home and opening a cold one

I often send the invitation to join us, but I cant help it if you wake up after the rest of the western world has already had lunch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-09-11 14.12.52.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	932009  
Old 09-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #198 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What blades did you compare the rail blades to?
The new released 1st. blades. The CG (as I was told) is back some, making them faster in response. I noticed the heli would "bobble" during straight forward flight...in calm winds. It became more evident on windier days. However, I like the color scheme as it shows up very well in the sky. The performance is great, but a bit noisy during mild/fast cyclic movements. They auto well...

Quote:
And to be clear - we had been there all day Raja shows up at dinner time...
Raja operates on retirement time... And retirees expect the rest of the world to operate on "their" time table! I know this first hand as a good friend of mine keeps forgetting I still work!
rbort likes this.

Citizen 654
Old 09-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #199 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Yes just for the record

"Raja operates on retirement time... And retirees expect the rest of the world to operate on "their" time table! I know this first hand as a good friend of mine keeps forgetting I still work!"

I went to the field at 3:30 and Jeremy was already gone because his dinner time is like 5pm. He used to stay later at the field until 5pm I remember those days but now he likes to come in the middle of the day when the sun is shining and beating down on him... I prefer the afternoons when the sun is gone to the rear so its behind me and I can get some shade to sit in. The sun wears your skin out its best not to sit in it if possible and its also been hot so the shade feels much better. Mornings are the worst because the sun is strong and getting stronger and its in your face at the field on the right side so you would be stuck flying to the left side in general if you don't want to look towards the sun.

Normally in the morning I'm working around the house until mid afternoon and I go to the field after lunch. Our dinner is later more like 7+ not 5, I like to be out still at 5. Retirement is nice, get there quick guys you only live once and the later you wait the less you get to enjoy it...!

-=>Raja.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #200 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Today in fresno

It has cooled down a little bit. No more triple digit temps😅. Added 4 flights on whiplash v1 and 1 in v2.
Mongoose orange # 83
Whiplash 800 # 42
Whiplash v2 # 62
Whiplash v1 # 19
Other airstar # 1

Total # 207
Raj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in