Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2017, 05:26 AM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Commander View Post
Omerco, here you go this is my setup file for your review...

I uploaded the 3D setup file and put in my parameters I was running previously in sport mode.

Please let me know if anything looks wrong or you maybe your able to taylor it a bit more for me.

I won't fly until you have given it the green light.
Few things:
first tab (control):
i use 0.5 on aileron and elevator for deadbands. leave 2 only for the tail.

tab 3:
your swash mixing values are out of the recommended range, showing that your servo arms are too short for the control loop to work with. you need longer servo arms.

tab 5 - tail servo:
again - servo horn too short. you need the sum of left + right limits to be around 180-200.

tad 6- cyclic:
1. control rates are way too low and suite a beginner/sport flyer. if you want a snappier heli you need to have them 280+ (i work with 310). if it make center stick too responsive use some expo on the cyclics.
2. your bell gain is totally out of range. gain bell should be around 85 for the heli the react well and still stay controllable.set the bell gain after you change your rates
3. aileron and elevator should have the same rates for 3D flight. bell gain might be different depending on the feel of each one of them.
4. decrease tail drag to the minimum (-10).
5.hiller decay on 75 means you have a lot of head lock. this also makes the heli less responsive. if you feel you need more response increase above 150.
6. you can also increase your cyclic acceleration: 20 is fairly on the low side.

good luck. fly, report back what you feel and include your corrected setup file.

make sure you check your gyro and stick directions to be correct before you fly!
2 X X7 | Scorpion 4525 Ultimate 4+6T YY / Xnove 4530 525 | scorpion Tribunus 200II ESC | Edge 713 | Logo 690SX | Pyro 440 7+8T YY | Castle 120HV | X3 | 4S | HW 50A V2 ESC | Scorpion 2221 2050KV 9T D | SK540 / Brain2 | Mks
omerco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Omerco for your prompt response.

I will make the changes as you have suggested and get back to you....

Cheers
Old 08-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

Omerco, here is my setup file you requested from the firmware thread.

My setup:

Goblin 420
SK540
Cyclic Servos: BK3001hv's
Rudder: BK5005hv
HW 120a esc (overkill)
KDE 500xf 925kv w/21t pinion

Thanks!

Sawacs
Attached Files
File Type: txt Goblin 420.txt (263 Bytes, 26 views)
Old 08-26-2018, 03:32 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Omerco, I just finished re-configuring everything using your sport flight file for the Goblin 420 and look forward to a test flight tomorrow morning.

I did manage, without moving the control link in on the tail servo, to get the travel out of the yellow and set to 74, 74. Do you think I should still proceed and move the control horn inward so I could achieve 100, 100 travel both directions on the tail?

Thanks,

Sawacs
Old 08-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawacs View Post

I did manage, without moving the control link in on the tail servo, to get the travel out of the yellow and set to 74, 74. Do you think I should still proceed and move the control horn inward so I could achieve 100, 100 travel both directions on the tail?

Thanks,

Sawacs
your servo is a little slow (0.07) than what is usually used as a tail servo. I have found I get better results around 90/90 with slower servos so it doesn't have to be 100/100 necessarily (most my helies are around 90/110 by the way).

74/74 shows too little resolution which is usually manifested in early hunting while tail gain is too low. it also depends on your flight stile: if you don't put too much torque on the head you might get away with it. you could test and if you cant get it right move the ball.

Waiting to hear how your test goes.
2 X X7 | Scorpion 4525 Ultimate 4+6T YY / Xnove 4530 525 | scorpion Tribunus 200II ESC | Edge 713 | Logo 690SX | Pyro 440 7+8T YY | Castle 120HV | X3 | 4S | HW 50A V2 ESC | Scorpion 2221 2050KV 9T D | SK540 / Brain2 | Mks
Old 08-26-2018, 04:27 PM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerco View Post
your servo is a little slow (0.07) than what is usually used as a tail servo. I have found I get better results around 90/90 with slower servos so it doesn't have to be 100/100 necessarily (most my helies are around 90/110 by the way).

74/74 shows too little resolution which is usually manifested in early hunting while tail gain is too low. it also depends on your flight stile: if you don't put too much torque on the head you might get away with it. you could test and if you cant get it right move the ball.

Waiting to hear how your test goes.
Thanks!

The tail servo is actually [email protected] BK5005
Old 08-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawacs View Post
Thanks!

The tail servo is actually [email protected] BK5005
So that is also not set right in your tail parameters...
Old 08-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So that is also not set right in your tail parameters...
It was actually set correctly. However, I probably dumb thumbed the setup file I sent you

Update: I flew the Goblin this morning and it feels like a completely different heli. The heli is now very locked in and handles very well. I started off with 55 on the cyclic gain and 90 on the hiller decay with zero wobbles.

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by sawacs; 08-27-2018 at 12:13 PM..
sawacs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2021, 02:15 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi guys

after more than one year with V4 I have learned a lot about our gyro. I'm uploading here some setup files with optimized parameters which i have found to perform better than the defaults on all the helies I worked with and especially on the Goblins - improving the elevator bounce problem.

The main 2 differences are (parameters you cannot see):
1. higher Hiller to Damping ratio (64/15) - this gives, in my experience, much better locking feeling, less porpoising and pitching up in FFF and better cyclic stop behaviour.
2. higher tail rate gain (80) - gives better pyro consistency IMO (traveling pyros + pyro loops etc.).

Apart for that i have posted my own 3D files for big helies like my X7:
- high cyclic acceleration (80=max) - this i find very important for stop behaviour and also fast changing maneuvers.
- relatively high hiller decay for the bigger helies (160+-) - makes them more loose.
- relatively high bell gain - IMO bell and acceleration go together: if you want fast reaction (bell) you want high acceleration and vice versa.

The sport flight files:
- medium Hiller decay
- medium bell gain over rate.
- medium cyclic accel (30 is always too low, IMO).

Files:
- 3D big heli - for all 550-700 helies (Goblin included).
- X7 3D - specific for the X7, or helies with similar mechanic values. (can be used on others as well but higher cyclic gain might be needed if not X7).
- 3D small (x3, 450) - As written...
-Sport Flight.

What you need to do:
1. save your own setup to your computer.
2.choose the setup file which suits you most. rename the TXT extension to SK7 and upload it to your gyro.
3. run a complete setup according to the wizards. you can skip the mechanical setup by copying the parameters from your previous file (swashplate, swash servos, tail servo).
4. please pay great attention to gyro orientation and correct behaviour before your test flight

flight tuning:
cyclic:
1. lower your governor gain (or disable it): if its sk then 7 numbers will be good. castle = 5. lower your tail gain by 5 numbers.
2. hover in your desired headspeed and set the total cyclic gain until you have cyclic oscillations on quick stick jab. when you get there back the gain down 2-3 numbers.
3. after the first step do a fast hurricane - preferably upside down nose first - and look for oscillations (you will hear them). usually you will have none but if you do then back the gain some more until its gone.

Tail:
1. normal tuning - usually I do hard funnels to check holding and fast hurricanes to check that my gain is not too high.

last - Governor:
Normal tuning until you have oscillations in hurricanes - then back it some. make sure your tail gain is set so it doesn't oscillate otherwise you will not be able to tell if its tail or governor.

Rest of the tuning is as you know it.

Waiting for your feedbacks. I will improve the files as needed.
Omer

Hello, for a Align TREX 550L appears the 3D Big Heli would be the appropriate file, in the interface for heli size should 500 or 600 be selected?Any adjustments to consider for this in between size? For the setup for the GPS-1 accessory should the scale heli box be on or off? Would the 25% altitude hold gain be appropriate?

Thanks.
harry$ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2021, 09:31 AM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry$ View Post
Hello, for a Align TREX 550L appears the 3D Big Heli would be the appropriate file, in the interface for heli size should 500 or 600 be selected?Any adjustments to consider for this in between size? For the setup for the GPS-1 accessory should the scale heli box be on or off? Would the 25% altitude hold gain be appropriate?

Thanks.
I have been flying the SK540 for over 7 year on my Align Nitro 600 and it's locked in an flyies great Alvin with Skookum helped me with setup and I can share this file with you if you want.
ssrobzoom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2021, 12:31 PM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrobzoom View Post
I have been flying the SK540 for over 7 year on my Align Nitro 600 and it's locked in an flyies great Alvin with Skookum helped me with setup and I can share this file with you if you want.

Hi, thanks that would be great to try this file!
Old 09-21-2021, 07:35 PM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Skookum SK540 Align 600 Nitro file

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry$ View Post
Hi, thanks that would be great to try this file!

Give me you contact info and I will email it to you
ssrobzoom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Optimized setups files

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrobzoom View Post
Give me you contact info and I will email it to you

I will pm my email to you.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in