Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yakky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2021, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Build and fly a Align T-REX 700X

I bought an Align T-REX 700X TOP Combo Electric Helicopter Kit w/Motor, 200A ESC, Servos, & Microbeast today. I have very limited expernice flying anything other than a DJI AIR 2S. I have never built an RC helicopter will a complete rookie be able to build it and fly it? What upgrades, batteries, receiver and radio should I consider? Note: I am planning on using simulator time and smaller helicopters to learn to fly.
journalimages is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2021, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Forget it, my opinion.

You need an expert on your side, especially the Fbl, tail tuning (gyro gains, being prepared for wag, drifts, mechanical issues).

It will not live more than 2-4 seconds when you maiden it for yourself.

Maybe you do a serious mechanical error on the build and parts fly away in air.

Helicopter flying is not like multicopter flying in self-stabilized and assisted barometer/gps modes.
Maybe race drones with a true acro/rate mode.

Get a XK K110 heli first.

And check your LHS how they can assist you with the quite complicated heli basics, transmitter programming, first time Fbl setup, maiden flight, assisted trainer lessons on a cable, etc.

..(...)..

When I flew my 4503D the very first time in 2012 it was so much different compared to all my Reflex Xtr V5.03 practice training (doing this literally for years before).
The earlier 120SR FixedPitch heli which flew like crap didn't prepare me at all (IMHO was one of the worst suggestions ever from a LHS) beyond hovering phase (even then for this hardly good to be honest compared to CP helis).

Can't imagine you want to maiden a lawnmower with such power and big main blades for yourself.
You can seriously hurt yourself or other people.

I had a lot of help in 2012 from the LHS and later with the NanoCpx from a friend who knew all the micro tweaks from a Mcpx.
I couldn't fly any single curve in a indoor triple gym, believe it or not!!

Crashed my 4503D in the third curve.

Also I read tons of threads in 2012 but never have gone that high into that territory like you try to do now.

----------------------

Looking back I completely understand why people get told to get started with an e-glider, pushing up to warbirds, delta wings and impellers later.
You need to learn how to fly slow first and fast later and train eye-hand reflexes.

Almost had a brain freeze with all that required nick plus roll input so I tended more "to let it go".
Was IMHO, still not, not prepared for this at all.
The heli flew ME across the whole field!

After my first 450 paddle hovers (weeks) and later curve flying crash I put it away for three years and relearned the classic way (glider Egp, warbirds, delta wing, NanoCpx, 200Qx with red acro mode,...) before I tried it again in 2015 successfully with very different transmitter settings and a new heli head setup.
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss; 09-27-2021 at 11:44 AM..
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2021, 03:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got a 700X and it is probably the easiest to fly helicopter I own. So much for that.

BUT: I started flying helis comming from drones. I started with a T-rex 450 wich is considered rather large to begin with. I crashed that one twice.

Crashing a 700X is very expensive and it will happen. If you happen to crash into yourself or others you might simply chop your head of or kill someone. This is no toy! Don't even think of learning to fly helicopters with a 700. Not without a seasoned pilot at your side at least - preferable with a safety net in between you and the heli.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you take your time to build it and like you mentioned fly something smaller before hand, you'll do fine. And by smaller helicopters, I'm assuming you will build another smaller kit before this one. As mentioned above there is just so much going on when you first setup a heli. If you've never done it before you won't know what is right or wrong. I flew a bunch of BNF helis before I bought a Trex 450 clone that some other guy built and tuned (poorly), even then I had lots of adventures (read crashes) before I was able to fly it.

Lastly, you are taking a lot fo the fun out of the hobby by going straight to the big heli. Its like starting out with heroin for your first buzz.
Clinton1 likes this.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2021, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

With crash costs and the danger of these models it's best to start with a smaller heli to learn how to fly first. And if you don't get the hang of it or decide to quit you can sell the 700 and not be out to much cash.
jfivecoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2021, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Best advice is get yourself a micro. Take a year and learn how to fly it well, then when you can actually fly, spend another year flying a 450 with the same electronics as the 700 while you figure out how this stuff works.
Trying to build and learn how to fly a 700 is a bad decision. Really Really.
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2021, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I bought an Align T-REX 700X TOP Combo Electric Helicopter Kit w/Motor, 200A ESC, Servos, & Microbeast today. I have very limited expernice flying anything other than a DJI AIR 2S. I have never built an RC helicopter will a complete rookie be able to build it and fly it?
Building it is the easy part.
You need a set of metric hex-drivers (1.5mm to 3mm), and some other small tools to get it all assembled. The instructions are pretty straight forward. Take your time, and when you get to a step where it needs a tool or an adhesive (like CA glue or Loctite), then look on line and wait until that arrives to complete that step.
Quote:
What upgrades, batteries, receiver and radio should I consider?
I would recommend Spektrum for a radio brand (an NX8 would be good for the transmitter and a, AR8020 for the receiver).
Brands for batteries are not worth mentioning - they are all about the same. Just buy 4 or 6 LiPo packs that are 6S, 5000mAh 60C and they will be combined to form a 12S pack that is used by the ESC.
You need a charger, and I would recommend an iCharger 306B or 308Duo.
Quote:
Note: I am planning on using simulator time and smaller helicopters to learn to fly.
Yep, that's a good place to start.
Use the Steam based RC simulator named AccuRC. If you buy the Spektrum NX8, you can buy Spektrum's USB link that binds to the Spektrum transmitter and use it with the sim.

And, it would be a really good idea to find an RC club in your area that has some heli-guys as members. You need exposure to the hobby as a whole and helicopters in particular. Flying helis can be frustrating and expensive.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2021, 07:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

well....I'm going to tell you it can be done, but sim time and a smaller heli would help your success rate. I taught myself to fly using a 700L (precursor to the 700X). Started with a sim, but didn't fully master that first. I could only take short little hops (10-15 seconds) at first, then worked my way up to hovering out a full battery. very slow progression.

try to find a club with heli's or a mentor that can help you. I live in Nashville and willing to help, but looks like you are quite far away from me (I was just in Little Rock last week!). My suggestion is to practice on the sim until you are completely and thoroughly bored out of your mind with it. listening to music helps with the boredom.

there is a training plan somewhere on this site. something like beginner to funnels in 6 weeks. thats a good place to start. found it......

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=531380

Radio equipment and FBL's (flybarless coontroller) are a personal preference. I fly Ikon/Brain FBL currently, but experimenting with the new Spirit systems FBL. Their new FBL has GPS geofencing, return to home and hard deck. might be useful for a beginner. I'm a long time Jeti user, but many good radio systems. Spectrum, VBar, etc.
Tnjet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2021, 02:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
Building it is the easy part.
You need a set of metric hex-drivers (1.5mm to 3mm), and some other small tools to get it all assembled. The instructions are pretty straight forward. Take your time, and when you get to a step where it needs a tool or an adhesive (like CA glue or Loctite), then look on line and wait until that arrives to complete that step.
It's not even that. The instructions for a 700X are a basic explosion manual. It is not hard to build but they way align makes it's manual it leaves a lot of opportunities for errors. Errors that wont happen if you built a smaller heli before that cames with a decent manual.

This is why I don't suggest micros to anyone unless it is a micro you have to build yourself.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

First of all, congratulations for your buy. You have one of the best helis money can buy on your hands. I hope someday I can spare the funds to have one too. But I digress…

The experience you have from your dji boils down to: you know what each stick does. The similarities stop there. The heli will not stay put in the sky, waiting for your input. Not even by a long shot. It will try to go everywhere, and you have to keep it where you want. That takes a lot of practice to achieve it.

I see some options here: If you want to learn to fly on that 700, you’ll need an experienced pilot to help you. Learning by yourself with a bird that big is not going to end well.
Have you ever seen a 700 fly in real life? First time I did It was scary, to say the least. It is huge! Has a lot of presence and the noise makes you want to get away from it. Honest!

But, you will get used to it. And then, you’ll get hooked, and smaller helis will just look like toys to you.

If you can get someone experienced to help you with the building, setup and flying, then go for it!

If you don’t, then, shelve it for a while. Get a 450 heli, a good sim, and get cracking. Once you spend about a year flying (and crashing) the 450, then, you will know enough about setup, flying and repairing a heli. A 450 is much less intimidating and much cheaper to repair.

Bear with me, it is not just money. I am not saying that you should go with a 450 for the cost (You may have enough money to finance multiple 700 class heli crashes, I don’t really know) It’s the danger! A 700 heli crash crater on the ground is much bigger than a 450 heli crash one. You can hurt yourself or others!

I thaught myself to fly with a fixed pitch helicopter at first, then a 450, then, just recently, a 600. It took a couple of years. But that is what makes this hobby interesting. If you could just go from a drone to a 700, with no work, then it would not be much fun, would it?

Take care.

Last edited by Oliveirax; 10-15-2021 at 12:27 PM..
Oliveirax is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in