Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default T-Rex 250 Tail Issue - Official Statement from Align

Align in Taiwan has determined that the issue that is currently affecting some 250's is attributed to the tail blade grips rubbing on the shoulder of the tail hub. Due to manufacturing tolerances, apparently there are some tail hubs that have more material in the shoulder, which is allowing the grip to rub against it during side loads when the tail is spooled up causing excessive binding. There have also been some inconsistencies with the hub thread depths and the bearings are preloaded too much to the point where they can't handle the side loads induced either.

New hubs are currently being made that address this issue, the new hubs will include a single bearing instead of two on each grip. The new bearings handle side loads better also. In addition, all kits manufactured as of this week are already going to include the new hub and bearings.

There are a couple of ways to fix this problem for those of you having issues:

---------- Fix 1 ----------

Remove your tail blades, then remove the bolts that hold the tail blade grips to the hub and replace them with the bolts that are holding your blades to the grips. In other words, replace the bolts that are holding the blade grips to the hub with 1mm longer bolts. There should be a couple of extra bolts in the spare parts bag that comes with the kit too. This will allow the bolt to bottom out against the hub without excessively preloading the bearings, it will also increase the clearance between the tip of the blade grip and the shoulder on the hub.

---------- Fix 2 ----------

Remove the tail hub / tail blade grip assembly from the helicopter. Then remove the blade grips from the hub. Use sand paper or even a dremel tool and try and remove some material from the hub shoulder. You'll need to remove enough to prevent the grips from rubbing against it. Re-assemble your tail and install back on the helicopter.

----------

How do you know if your 250 is OK? Well, of course if you are flying it and your tail is holding then you don't have the problem, but basically when you spool up the helicopter at about 60 to 70% throttle without your main blades you should be able to move the tail push rod back and forward and the tail pitch slider should move all the way to both ends. It will require some force (about 10 oz approx is normal), but the slider should move both ways without bending any tail parts, including the tail pitch arm or the push rod itself.

There are many threads out there where people are recommending beefing up the tail pitch linkage arm or changing the tail push rod to a carbon rod, etc. These are simply fixing symptoms of the main issue, they are not correcting the actual problem, but masking the symptom itself! The tail pitch linkage arm as well as the tail push rod are more than adequate and strong enough to handle the forces required to move the tail on this helicopter provided there are no binding issues.

Replacement

Assurance R/C (the US Align distributor) will replace your defective hub if you are experiencing issues with the tail. Simply contact them at [email protected].

Please allow a few weeks for delivery, the factory has corrected the issue already, but it will take a little while to make enough of these and have them shipped over.

IMPORTANT
Not all dealers in the US purchase their Align helicopters from Assurance R/C. If Assurance R/C cannot find your serial number when you email them, then please contact the dealer that sold you your 250 as they will be able to get a replacement from their distributor.

Also, if you are outside the US, please contact your local Align dealer or distributor for a replacement as Assurance R/C will NOT be able to replace it for you.

Last edited by Bert Kammerer; 12-10-2008 at 08:09 AM..
Bert Kammerer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bert, you knew about this didn't you. ; D
geng77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

can you show a pic of where in hub we need to sand for fix 2?
ncnguyen123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Tolerance (in between Tail grip and Tail Hub shoulder) problem was due to cold tempture, Bert don't have serious problem on tail due to he living in FL and we don't get complain in Taiwan's flyer either.

New shipment coming this week included new tail hub and we been tested and felt a lot better than.

Andy
alignrcusa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

So will everyone who has already purchased a 250 get a replacement part for free?

If so who would I need to contact in the UK?

Last edited by tom555; 12-02-2008 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Spelling
tom555 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

so it's only gonna have one big bearing in the tail grips instead of 2 now? or is it gonna be the same size bearing's just one in their instead of two, so the one bearing will be able to move up and down freely?
blahblah9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a T250 kit coming in. Can I request a replacement right now, or do I need to wait & send back the old hub or something?
helicrunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

go on and email them. i just wrote i'm have one with tail issues, and want a replacement hub. and gave them my shipping address
blahblah9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am reminded why I like Align. This is a pretty quick response to an issue. Good Job!

Cheers,
Leslie
leslie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Guys, as Andy explained.. In the factory during testing nobody had any issues. When I got the first production kit I had no issues either, Leon Luke had no issues at all either. This started to "pop up" all of the sudden and after careful research we determined the problem.

I know a lot of people don't like to deal with these kinds of issues and I fully understand, but these issues are sometimes unavoidable, especially when a helicopter makes it from just a thought to a complete kit available for sale in less than 4 or 5 months! Good thing is, Align reacts very quickly to address issues as soon as they arise. I'm sure that the 250 will be rock solid and bug free in the very near future
Old 12-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

wow, im impressed Align. you just sold me your product. even tho i knew there was a problem, i wasnt sure whether or not id get it. but because of this, im sold. Thank you Align for making my decision easier. that is what i call good service.
heliaddict22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have to say I am impressed. Not only a public explanation but the honesty to admitting there is a problem and offering to fix it.

Obviously Align and the reps have been listening and took time to trouble shoot the issue.

Good work to all involved and thanks Bert for posting the information.
mlucia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Could you please add if any of the tail holder assemblies (H25025) include the update? If so, is there any way to tell by the packaging?

Has H25060 already been updated? The ones I ordered say 681X (instead of 681ZZ), so I assume Align will swap these assemblies, as well?
heli-on is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks!

For the info and the solutions to fix the problem. THX man nice to have a response from one of their top pilots.
macsrgreat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Kammerer View Post
---------- Fix 2 ----------

Remove the tail hub / tail blade grip assembly from the helicopter. Then remove the blade grips from the hub. Use sand paper or even a dremel tool and try and remove some material from the hub shoulder. You'll need to remove enough to prevent the grips from rubbing against it. Re-assemble your tail and install back on the helicopter.

----------
Until Align sends me the new hub (which may take weeks), can someone please show me with picture where to sand as stated in fix 2 above. I'm not sure what the hub shoulder is. Also, would sanding the ends of the blade grips do the same thing?
ncnguyen123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 11:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Bert, was there an original text from Align I can reference to if i need it?
Inserico is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 11:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm going to see if I can come up with an image to show. It is basically the diameter of the hub where the grip engages. Don't modify the grip, it is not a grip issue.

Inserico, there is no original text from Align. We simply found the problem, made the correction and I was asked to make it public.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ok so if my local align dealer (Aus: wattsuprc) asks for a reference, it is ok to direct them to you?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

If they are a distributor, they can simply contact the factory in Taiwan. Otherwise if they are just a dealer, they'll need to contact the importer/distributor.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

yea sorry, they are the distributor (the main guys for aus)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in