Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 800 Class Helicopters

800 Class Helicopters 800 Class Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2016, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default trex 800 new torque tube H80T011AXW vs older H80T011XXW

hi all,

I am in the process of stretching my newly bought JR E12 Ito edtion using align T-rex 800 torque tube. I noticed there are two torque tubes, the newer H80T011AXW and the older H80T011XXW. I have the older H80T011XXW on my Forza700 stretch project.

I understand the improvement is on the attachment structure between the two ends and the long aluminum tube. The older tube seems to have the tips screwed onto the tube, maybe with loctite.

My few questions:
1. Has anyone experienced failures (crack/self-loose/wear/fatigue) on the older H80T011XXW torque tube? especially during hardcore 3D flights?

2. Has anyone experienced failure/problems on the new torque tube?

Many thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snip20161224_1.png
Views:	1015
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	685366  
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are able to purchase the newer version then go for that, there could potentially be an issue with the older version. Not everyone was able to break it but it was possible. I haven't heard of any issues with the new version.
nynextel88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2016, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Go with the new version. Here's an email from Collin Bell.

"The torque tube ends have screwed tighter into the tube over time, causing the aluminum to bulge out, consequently shortening the torque tube. There are a few ways to fix it.

What I have done is sleeved the torque tube about 5mm either side of the seam (between the drive coupler, and the actual aluminum shaft). With another slightly thicker aluminum tube. It fits tightly over the existing one, and I CA glue it in place. This way the tube can not be bulged out under torque.

The other option is to drill the tube about 5mm back from the seam, and pin it with a small nut and bolt. That will keep the threaded portion from crumpling the tube over time.

What I used to do with my old raptors was wrap the problem area with cotton thread and then soak it in CA glue. I have not tried this on the T-rex, and it might work as well.

I hope this helps.

Colin"

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	!cid_part2_04020709_03060705@bellroth.jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	685406  
Old 12-23-2016, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was looking for the actual explanation from Colin on it as well, however I couldn't locate it.

So as stated, if you currently have the older version you can modify it so it doesn't happen however if you haven't purchased one yet, go with the updated version.

Good luck!
nynextel88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2016, 06:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

many thanks to nynextel88 and shawnlh. I get your points. Aluminum stretching is inevitable on the older trex800 torque tube design, leading to stripping eventually.

I ordered two of the improved version from a local Chinese distributor. I will post comparison pics once I receive them.

Merry Christmas to you all.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi all, this is the direct comparison between the old and the new torque tube. They have the exact same overall length.

So the "belted" tip is the only difference as far as I can tell. The belt does feel like a good protection against the aluminum tube from expanding and loosening.

One problem as you can imagine, the two supporting bearings that came with the torque tube are not easily replaceable now that the tip has a belt blocking the removal. Also the tolerence between the bearings and the aluminum tube is a bit excessive. So I applied a thin layer of epoxy glue the tube where the bearings would sit and then slide the bearings into location. Of course be careful not the let any glue get inside the bearings.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Align 800 torque tube.jpg
Views:	1153
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	685870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Align 800 torque tube2.jpg
Views:	1098
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	685871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Align 800 torque tube3.jpg
Views:	1097
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	685872  
Old 03-12-2017, 12:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yesterday I crashed my Trex 800Pro due to torque tube failour.
I did hard-stop when going fast forward and the tail just came loose.
I leveled it up inverted, cut of motor and landed on the head.
It was old version of torque tube.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphibia View Post
One problem as you can imagine, the two supporting bearings that came with the torque tube are not easily replaceable now that the tip has a belt blocking the removal.
The bearings can still be removed. All you do is push the collar off the end of the TT. It comes off reasonably easily, a little heat will help if it doesnt want to move.

The TT itself is exactly the same, the only difference is the addition of the push-fit collars.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

sad to read Derclown. my fleet currently in winter maintenance and found my 700n torque tube puff.near rear end so i replace it before crash. my 800 still ok only 60 flight on it
Old 03-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, the old TT version was quite strong, as I had 120 flights with no issues til my very first crash with 800Pro and I was pushing it kinda hard with hard-stops and etc...
After that I had crash and replaced whole boom with same old version TT.
After that I hit it again, light crash, but no need to replace the boom or TT, it was intact, so I left it "as is" when I was doing the repair. And couple days ago the TT failed (it was just very first flight after last crash that I didin't replaced the TT).

And found this

I believe, I weld my next TT with TIG.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P70312-180100.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	698590   Click image for larger version

Name:	P70312-180113.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	698591  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in