Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2017, 03:01 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aha, ok, thanks for that info, then I get the naming convention, was a bit confused about that. Figured blade size but didn't make sense for 450 and some others I checked.

Thanks for the suggestion on the XK. What I like about the Blade is the SAFE function. But the XK K110 sure does look like a good alternative. And I guess I shouldn't need the SAFE function, makes me more motivated to "solve the situation", and learn faster Also perhaps not as needed on a small heli that can take a crash quite well.

Already leaning towards an XK K110 BNF.
Thomasx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017, 05:33 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on the k110 . get the ready to fly version because its s-fhss and you can't use the spektrum DX8 with it . Many others and myself have beaten the s#%t out of our k110's learning to fly and practising 3d moves , and it just won't die
And it has a beginner 6 axis mode too
Old 04-14-2017, 06:36 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are always "deals" out there. Skip the Nano CPS, its expensive and only really good if you need an indoor house heli. Get a K110 or V977 instead. Once you stop constantly crashing those, get a Blade 230s. Then think about what big heli you want. Your first crash on the 550 will cost you as much as the 230 and 977 together.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017, 07:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Seeing you have a DX8 why not stick with Spectrum. Get yourself a used 120SR for $25.00 and learn the basics.

120SR SETUP, SERVICE & FLYING LINKS FOR NEWBIES
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=496890

If you want to start with a collective pitch micro.
Ether a used MCPX or a used Nano CPX. Both are available used and both are great trainers. Ether can be had well under $100.00

MCPX setup service and flying links for newbies
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=506789

NANO CPX SERVICE AND FLYING LINKS FOR NEWBIES
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=596574

This way you will learn how to use the DX8.
You learn a lot about. How to setup and fly a helicopter.

While your doing this Keep a look out for a good used 450X.
Buy it service it from top to bottom and fly it. When you can fly it all day with no crashes you will be ready to begin flying the 550e. And you will have the experience to set it up and fly it.

Until then educate yourself.
Heli Skills and Setup 101 - LOOK here first!

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692

Watch as many of this guys videos as you can find!

R/C Heli Flying Tutorial #1 Basic Hovering

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YYRxOMfaMA"]R/C Heli Flying Tutorial #1 Basic Hovering - YouTube[/ame]

Many years ago I learned the hard way. Never ever let anyone fly your model Helicopter. Not ever period.That goes twice for the schmuck instructor at the local club!

Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

He already has FP experience and is ready to try CP.

Everything else is a trade-off, and Ron is pointing out the other side here. The older Blade micros are a little less expensive, and work with the DX8. Those are both nice benefits. On the other hand, they don't have 6-axis to ease the transition, and buying used always has its risks.

With the DX8, I don't see lack of 6-axis as a big deal. Just dial in a lot of DR and expo. The bigger issue is probably finding one that you're sure is in good condition.

The mcpx and nano cpx are both viable options if you can find a good one.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazztl View Post
+1 on the k110 . get the ready to fly version because its s-fhss and you can't use the spektrum DX8 with it . Many others and myself have beaten the s#%t out of our k110's learning to fly and practising 3d moves , and it just won't die
And it has a beginner 6 axis mode too
Whoops, ok, thanx for that info, didn't notice that. If I get an XK K110, it will be an RTF then.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unfortunately second hand Blades and XK's aren't that easy to find here in Sweden.

I've been considering the XK K110, seems like a good choice.

I have so far been practicing on a WLToys V912, which has proven to be extremely durable (apart from the main motor). And then I came across this one, a WLToys V950, with collective pitch. Do you have any knowledge or experience in that one? Almost double size of the XK K110, but at the same price.
Perhaps not the same quality, but if it is as durable as the V912 I've been flying so far, then it's really good I think.

https://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V950...l?rmmds=search
Old 05-02-2017, 09:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have not flown the 950. The only thought I can offer is that the K110 should be much more survivable in a crash than either 912 or 950, given its very light weight. However, if you are comfortable you won't be crashing much, and would like something larger than the 912 rather than smaller, the 950 certainly has a lot of good reviews on Banggood.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, having flown the V912 for a while now I do feel like I would like to go bigger, rather than smaller. I do have a small V911 as well. which is about XK K110 size, but fixed pitch.

How big of a difference will it be to fly a collective pitch (ie the V950) compared to a fixed pitch (ie the V912), would you say?

I was on the verge to buy a V913 as they happened to have that in the local hobbystore at a good price. It is a step up in size from the V912 but still fixed pitch. But then luckily I read that fixed pitched in sizes from about V912 and bigger tend to have too much lag. And then I realized I have experienced this a bit on the V912, so going bigger fixed pitched seemed lite a no-no. So the V913 is still in the hobbyshop
Old 05-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is quite a big difference between fixed and collective, although the 6g stability features on the 950 will help you make the transition. I don't know how much you can adjust the 950 Tx for DR and expo. That's very helpful when transitioning from 6g moded to full collective.

The nice thing about the K110 is that you really don't have to worry about crashing it. And it also has a fully programmable Tx that you can set for any DR or expo you want.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was just about to order the XK K110 today, following your advice
when I heard about the Hisky HCP100S.

So, I have two questions about that.

First of all, is it a good alternative for a first CP? I understood it had a bit more power and as such would be better outdoors. I will do almost all flying outdoors, even with these micros.

Secondly, it says it is compatible with DSMX satellite receiver. What does that actually mean? Why would I need a satellite receiver to use my Spectrum radio? Why not directly or with a spectrum receiver.
Also, with this small size heli, wouldn't the satellite receiver add quite a bit of weight, and as I see it is mounted on the side of the heli, throw off the balance a bit?

It seems to be cheaper to get a BNF with a HT-8 adapter, than to get a BNF without HT-8 adapter (that I won't be able to use anyway if I understand things right, I will need to use the DSMX satellite receiver instead)

https://www.banggood.com/Hisky-HCP10...l?rmmds=search

https://www.banggood.com/Hisky-HCP10...l?rmmds=search
Old 05-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Apparently the HCP100S is not a beginners heli.

After having spent a week or two trying to find a reason to get something bigger than a micro, I finally came to my senses and ordered the XK K110 as adviced by you guys.

For the record, the "opportunity" I mentioned when starting this thread, included two T-Rex 550's, one ready to fly and one complete but without electronics though with the motor. Lot's of parts, blades, two batteries, the DX8, an extra gyro, chargers and a bag, at $600. So now it's all sitting on the shelf waiting for me to learn how to fly
Old 05-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

The HCP is a 2s heli. It flies more aggressively than the k110 and, by report, is not as robust in a crash. The k110 has as much power as you will need for what you want to do with it, and its ability to take crash after crash is a huge plus when you're just starting out.

Once you are able to hover the k110 comfortably in all orientations, and even fly it around a bit in forward flight, there is no reason you can't try those things on the Trex. The 550 will actually be easier to handle in the air because of it's stability. (But it won't bounce like the k110 when you crash it...)

You may find the 550 a bit intimidating compared to the k110, especially the first few times you spool it up. Some healthy respect will be a good thing.

Enjoy the k110! It's a great little heli in its own right.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, so, when I get the K110, is there any tuning or trimming that I should do, or is it just to unbox and fly it?

I guess since it is crash resistant, I won't be needing training skids?
Old 05-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

K110 Info probably has most of what you need to know. But if you have questions, ask away.

You will not need training skids; just fly it outdoors, ideally over grass and away from buildings and trees until you get the hang of it. (Putting it in a tree 30m up is definitely worse than crashing it into your house, so don't let it get too high.)

You will want to start in 6g mode, and get comfortable using throttle hold to turn the motor on and off (especially off, right before you crash...as that will help minimize damage.)
Old 05-12-2017, 03:04 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.kmfk.se/ Contact this club and they will provide all the assistance you need.
flycatch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi everyone

Still waiting from my K110

Beginning to get tired of my V911 and V912

So, I am realising, I need to order the next stage equipment long before I am actually gonna want it

I should be getting my K110 beginning next week. So with a couple of weeks leadtime on orders from china, I figure I need to order whatever I am gonna fly stepping up from the K110 about now.

So, what are your recommendations on a good value for the money step up CP Heli from the XK K110? I have a Spectrum DX8 radio, and then the two WLToys V911 and V912 helis. Then I have the two T-Rex 550 in the garage, but I figure I should have something in between the K110 and the 550. Some brand of 450 maybe?
Old 05-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, FP got boring quickly for me as well. In the 450 size range, I tend to lump everything from 325 to 380 blades.

If you want to do it on a budget, the Align super combos are very inexpensive. Their newest helis in this range are the 470LP and 470LM, both of which run 380mm blades.

Another great option is the Gaui X3 which will fly anything from 325 to 360mm. The X3 is a bit older, but is still very popular and a reputation for both flying and crashing well.

For a newer, very high quality kit, there is the Protos 380, which is a true 380.

For something a little smaller, the Oxy 2 and 3 would make great first kits and are also very high quality. The Oxy 2 is 190mm with a stretch option to 210 coming. It makes a great yard flyer, although it needs quite a bit more space than the K110. The Oxy 3 can be built for 255 or 285. It's a good size for a small park or field. An Oxy 4 is expected this summer.

The choices other than Align are going to cost you more because you'll need to buy most of the electronics separately. The upside is you can choose exactly which electronics you want.

That should be enough to get you going!
Old 05-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great, thanks, then I have some to look into ☺

What about a Protos 450, could that be a good option? Found one second hand here that looked like a good opportunity.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's out of production; just check parts availability on your side, but I think you should be fine. Parts availability in the US is good and MSH have a reputation for supporting their helis for a long time.

There is a Mini Protos sub-forum in the MSH Protos forum on HF. It's not super active, but it's not dead. Good forum support is another thing to think about when buying if you don't have a local guru!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in