Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Multiplex FunCopter

Multiplex FunCopter Multiplex FunCopter Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking A new Funcopter in the house!

I just pulled the trigger and bought a new funcopter at my LHS Happy Hobby here in Milwaukee. I've had so much fun with my old Corona 120's until the parts supply dried up and figured to go the funcopter route. I heard the electronics that come with the RR were junk and decided to use HS-82MG's all around, a 50A SS Hobby king ESC powered by a 2650mah 3s 45C lipo. I will be using my DX7s transmitter and a 6 ch Rx. Have had a flymentor sitting around waiting for a helicopter that could easily fit into the fuselage. Yep, I know this is a simple helicopter but hopefully should be as much fun as the old Lite Machines were. The parts seem cheap and are available through Horizon but I'm hoping my LHS starts carrying parts as it is so nice to get parts locally right away instead of over the internet all the time. Call me a fool, I still have an unbuilt T-rex 450 DFC and T-rex 600fbl to build but know they will be a PITA since I've never fooled with the FBL stuff before. What's one more helicopter anyway when you stop counting at 10 (LOL). Haven't decided on what upgrades I can do and would like to see more Freak posts on this baby so do some posting as I would love to hear what you think or have done to yours. I'll post pics of my progress when the rest of my electronics get here, hopefully the HS-82MG will be a good match for the fllymentor, if it isn't let me know what a better choice would be for the rudder. My skill level - I can hover tail in all day long and fly slow circuits and have done a loop a long time ago with a Corona 120!

Dave Werkema
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Dave, I for one would like to know how you make out with your new FC. It seems interest has pretty much dried out in this heli.

I have had mine for about 5 months and have had nothing but problems, tho that may be due to the fact that I'm not that good with the electronics and set up on this model.

I went with the Wiki page set up, and also went for the V2 upgrade, HS82MG cyclic, Inolab HGD261HB tail and a Assan GA250 gyro, I still have a crazy tail vibration and the occasional tail blow out which always results in a crash ( and the parts for this heli aint cheap).

I do love the looks and the size of this heli, but am on the fence whether to continue with it or move on with my 450s and go with a 500 next year.

Keep the news coming on your build and maybe we can get some interest going again
Old 12-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have started building my Funcopter and quickly found out that my Hobby King 50amp SS ESC was not working correctly. Without changing any settings it felt warm shortly after powering it up and would barely spool up the blades! Figuring I needed to re-program it to run with this motor left me with a toasted ESC!. Should have figured cheap electronics are cheap for a reason, saving money on electronics ends up costing you more money than buying quality electronics in the first place. So, I had an Ice 50 Castle creations esc that I was saving for another project but wanted to get this Funcopter running so I used it. Low and behold the Castle Creations ESC worked perfect, it was a plug and play operation so I would reccommend this ESC to anybody building the Funcopter.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

congrats on the FC, I loved this heli when I had one (well actually had more than one ) I also loved my 120's when I had those. I would still own a FC except that I needed to focus my $$ on my gasser.

yeah the RR servo's were not the best, they were supposed to be rebadged HS81 but I never had a HS81 strip out with such a small bump as I did with the stock FC servos. Like you, I also ran with the HS82MG all the way around, I highly suggest you upgrade the stock gyro if you're going to keep the rear fuselage on.

I ran mine without the rear fuselage.

Since it sounds like you have a lot of 120 experience, you should no troubles with the FC, also you can move a vast majority of the FC parts directly over to the 120 minus the main gear of course. I have interchanged 120 parts into the FC and with very few exceptions they are 1 to 1 replacements.

Also, since you have the 120 experience, you may know about the Ballistic Technology upgrades for the 120, if you go to www.funcoptermods.com (i am no longer affiliated with the site, I was the site owner but sold it) you will see some upgrades for sale and also some tips on setup

enjoy the FC I sure did!!
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
AtTheCross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in