Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Turbine Helicopters

Turbine Helicopters Turbine R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Gents. Looking to get my first turbine. Its a jet not a heli but please don't hold that against me. I have been reading and trying to wrap my mind around the whole scene. What would I need to get jeti telemetry from my jetcat turbine? Would I need to purchase an xicoy FADEC? Really concerned with Fuel consumption and RPM to monitor flame out. Saw Xicoy's site but that has me even scratching my head a little more.

Any advise you can toss my way would be appreciated.
Bubbasanjohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 11:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure. You would need to make sure that the Xicoy is compatible with the RPM Hall sensor and thermocouple built into the turbine. Also, tuning a Fadec from scratch is not a straightforward proposition; at least it wouldn't be for me. The Xicoy telemetry works so well that I've taken my eyes off a Jetcat and I'm now looking at a Wren for an upcoming Boomerang Elan build (my first fixed wing turbine). Yes, it works that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbasanjohn View Post
Hey Gents. Looking to get my first turbine. Its a jet not a heli but please don't hold that against me. I have been reading and trying to wrap my mind around the whole scene. What would I need to get jeti telemetry from my jetcat turbine? Would I need to purchase an xicoy FADEC? Really concerned with Fuel consumption and RPM to monitor flame out. Saw Xicoy's site but that has me even scratching my head a little more.

Any advise you can toss my way would be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default interface details?

Hi guys,

Any chance you could post or email me the v10 interface protocol. I want to get telemetry down using my Frsky Taranis gear, but Gaspar has no plans to support it. I can read the data stream now using a PJRC teensy board, but I could do with a head start trying to figure out where the temp, rpm, and pump volts are!

Any help appreciated. Thanks guys.
mikeheley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeheley View Post
Hi guys,

Any chance you could post or email me the v10 interface protocol. I want to get telemetry down using my Frsky Taranis gear, but Gaspar has no plans to support it. I can read the data stream now using a PJRC teensy board, but I could do with a head start trying to figure out where the temp, rpm, and pump volts are!

Any help appreciated. Thanks guys.
PM me your email and I'll send you what I came up with.
flymustangs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 04:27 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm trying to do the same for DMSS at the moment. got a capture of a v10 at the weekend but it looks very different data to the v6 format. Any chance you could share what you have again (I've got jetcat working, trying for Xicoy now).
simonwood is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Xicoy data protocol description

Hi,

Can anyone help me will the protocol description for Xicoy ECU's

Cheer Ray
Ray66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello guys,

i have finished the development of the FRSKY Taranis Telemetry for Xicoy ECU (both V6 and V10).

Please see demonstration video:
RDT - Radio Data Terminal for Xicoy ECU (1 min 17 sec)

if anyone is interested in one please contact me at: i3dm@hotmail.com

thanks.
I3DM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymustangs View Post
I guess this forum is the best place to post this. Here is a demo of the interface I've developed to get the turbine data from my 44 Magnum to my Jeti DS-16.

This is for the Xicoy v10 FADEC, which is what my turbine is using. It could easily be used for the older FADEC's. I did much of the testing using an older FADEC (Thanks Lou!) because the data protocol for it is known.

Gaspar didn't publish the data protocol for the v10 version so I had to do some reverse engineering. It wasn't very different from the old data protocol. I'm about 99% certain I have it correct. I won't know for sure until I do a turbine start to make sure all the data makes sense. That will be at least a month while I complete the assembly of the heli

There are a couple of things I haven't decided on for sure. One is RPM. I've just about decided to show the RPM in thousands. I can't think of a scenario that would a require a more accurate RPM indication.

Another one is pump power. On the data terminal text display and in the downloaded data, it looks like the upper limit of the pump power is 1020. The data field that is transmitted for this has a max of 255 (one byte). I could use a percentage for this or do a conversion so it's more inline with the value that's displayed on the data display.

The other decision is how to package it. As with most of these little projects that I've done, there never seems to be a suitable enclosure available commercially. I've got a couple of options. A friend has a CNC laser cutter so I could do something out of wood. He also has a 3D printer so he might be able to do something with that. The other option is to just attach some servo leads and shrink wrap it. I would prefer to use connectors on the Arduino and then use male to male patch cables, but that would probably require a hard case of suitable size.

Any questions or comments are welcome.
Hi guys, Great thread.
I know this is dated a little but I have a SimJet which uses the Xicoy V10 ECU. Is there any way you can point me in the direction of the protocol or share your findings. I'm an electronics and embedded software engineer so I can do my own coding stuff. I thought I'd ask the question as this has already been done via reverse engineering somewhat.

Thanks
andyK7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in