PL8 noise ? - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FMA/Revolectrix Product Support

FMA/Revolectrix Product Support FMA/Revolectrix Factory Product Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default PL8 noise ?

After taking a break from flying for just over a year I've bought some new Packs and am back.
Something that is bothering me is my PL8 is making a 'ticking' sound (when charging) not unlike a servo sitting connected to a FBL unit. I can't ever remember the Charger making this noise before however I could have just missed it previously.
Does anyone know what this sound is ? Is it normal for the PL8 or a failure waiting to happen ?
Everything appears to be working well enough , just this noise that I've never noticed before !
eXo BD3SX Torq/BK HW ,Warp 360-Spirit MKS , #2 Warp 360-Spirit KST.
Van Scott is offline        Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Scott View Post
After taking a break from flying for just over a year I've bought some new Packs and am back.
Something that is bothering me is my PL8 is making a 'ticking' sound (when charging) not unlike a servo sitting connected to a FBL unit. I can't ever remember the Charger making this noise before however I could have just missed it previously.
Does anyone know what this sound is ? Is it normal for the PL8 or a failure waiting to happen ?
Everything appears to be working well enough , just this noise that I've never noticed before !
Hi:

The ticking sound is normal. You are hearing the power section FET gate drive pulses (switching FETs on and off) which are clocked at frequencies in the human audible range. ESC designers utilize the same phenomenon to produce tunes when their ESCs first power up. Perhaps you are familiar with that? Did you ever wonder how they were able to do that without a speaker?
Tim Marks is offline        Reply With Quote