Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Deleting reminder

Does anyone know how to get rid of the reminder to register the DX8 Gen2. Everytime you turn off the radio it causes the transmitter to stay on for about 10 or 12 seconds. The radio belongs to a friend and we have several models already in it and don't wish to update the radio at this time.
Dyehard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2017, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why? The update will not delete the models as far as I know (bit still, back them up before upgrading).
Old 07-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I still don't understand the need to update electronics. If it works like I want now, please don't change it!
beltfedbrowning is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyehard View Post
Does anyone know how to get rid of the reminder to register the DX8 Gen2. Everytime you turn off the radio it causes the transmitter to stay on for about 10 or 12 seconds. The radio belongs to a friend and we have several models already in it and don't wish to update the radio at this time.
Registering and updating are two completely different things other than you can't download updates without registering first.

You need to register the serial # for possible warranty repairs. Any "updates" are specific to your serial number and can only be downloaded from the Spek site onto the SD card if anything is available for your specific TX. This is optional and performed by the owner only if they choose to do so. You don't have to visit the Spek site ever again and do any updates if you don't want to.

Just have the owner register the serial number here and be done with it: http://www.spektrumrc.com/

Last edited by Xrayted; 07-25-2017 at 04:00 PM..
Xrayted is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Registering will not stop his radio from telling him to do it, I fear
Old 07-25-2017, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco66 View Post
Registering will not stop his radio from telling him to do it, I fear
Why? That's not the way any of the other multiple Spek TX I've ever owned works. My DX9 has been registered since I bought it without issue.

I get the occasional email letting me know that a new firmware or sound file is available because it's registered, otherwise I would have no idea anything changed. I typically get the email months after already learning there is an update here on the forums first, and I get the email once and that's it.

Sometimes I've waited a year before I finally update and some I skip because they have nothing to do with heli flying features. Spek does not force updates on anyone in the 15 years I've used them
Old 07-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Were you radios showing the same symptoms as the OP?

"Everytime you turn off the radio it causes the transmitter to stay on for about 10 or 12 seconds"

I mean, how would the TX know you registered it?
Old 07-25-2017, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Were you radios showing the same symptoms as the OP?

"Everytime you turn off the radio it causes the transmitter to stay on for about 10 or 12 seconds"

I mean, how would the TX know you registered it?
Good point. Spek has never insisted that anyone update their TX unless this is something new. The only way it could possibly know is if something is done to the SD card to tell it so, and even that is questionable considering the card is not even required for operation at all.

A quick call to Horizon by the OP sounds like the best next step
Old 07-26-2017, 12:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I remember I heard it already: as new, some radio models would have the "ugrade me" prompt built-in, and the update would simply (at least) remove it.

Exactly a way to force you to register )))))
Old 07-26-2017, 04:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Quote:
I think I remember I heard it already: as new, some radio models would have the "ugrade me" prompt built-in, and the update would simply (at least) remove it.

Exactly a way to force you to register )))))
Yep, that's is it!

It is like that by design and there is no way to turn the reminder off.

Spektrum require their radios to be updated at least a first time when it gets out of the box.

Your friend should have read the user manual before using the transmitter. It is there printed at the first page as a big warning. If I'm not mistaken, there is a similar reminder printed outside the product box too.

As per the users manual:

BEFORE USING YOUR TRANSMITTER:
Before going any further, visit the Spektrum Community website at spektrumrc.com to register your transmitter and download the latest AirWareTM firmware updates. A registration reminder screen occasionally appears until you register your transmitter. When you register your transmitter, the reminder screen does not appear again.

Carlos
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 06:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 - Yes, it's a way to force you to register and do a firmware update.

The factory installs a special version of firmware that has the nag screen built-in. The only way to get rid of it is to update the firmware.

Updating is advisable anyway, because the factory most likely did not put on a very recent version of firmware. There may be fixes you need or improvements you may want.

Of course, nothing is absolute, so I'm not going to tell you an upgrade won't cause any problems. That said, an upgrade typically does not break your existing models. In the early days of the DX9, the worst that happened was that you had to re-bind your existing models. The models were still there, but you had to bind the receivers again.

It's always a good idea to back up your models to the SD card before an upgrade, just in case something unexpected happens.

After you have upgraded the firmware once to get rid of the nag screen, you don't ever have to upgrade again if you don't want to. There is nothing else in the regular firmware that will nag you after a certain amount of time or otherwise get in your way.

Spektrum just released a beta version 1.20 in July. If you register your transmitter and decide to upgrade, you probably don't want that version. Instead, go with the previous version from late 2016. It will also be available for you to download.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 08:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting and new info to me then. I've never been forced to do anything with any of my previous purchases, but the last one was my current DX9 which I purchased a few years ago when they were first released.

Good to know there is a new process now.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZorzella View Post
Yep, that's is it!

It is like that by design and there is no way to turn the reminder off.

Spektrum require their radios to be updated at least a first time when it gets out of the box.

Your friend should have read the user manual before using the transmitter. It is there printed at the first page as a big warning. If I'm not mistaken, there is a similar reminder printed outside the product box too.

As per the users manual:

BEFORE USING YOUR TRANSMITTER:
Before going any further, visit the Spektrum Community website at spektrumrc.com to register your transmitter and download the latest AirWareTM firmware updates. A registration reminder screen occasionally appears until you register your transmitter. When you register your transmitter, the reminder screen does not appear again.

Carlos
I read the part "before using your transmitter", I saw where it said a registration remainder would occasionally appear. We could live with that but this transmitter does it every time and has from the first turn on.
My friend bought the DX8 with the intention of using it as a wireless buddy transmitter because he hasn't flown in several years, is getting old and had doubts about his ability to start flying again without help. He ordered a DX20 at the same time, it came in a couple of weeks ago. It does not have the registration reminder when you turn it on. I've never seen another Spectrum radio do this.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I believe they started this sometime in 2014 with the Gen2 transmitters - DX6G2/3, DX7G2, DX8G2, DX9, and DX18G2.

Nice to hear that if you spend US$1300 on a DX20 then they give you a small break! Although, you should still verify that it came from the factory with reasonably recent firmware.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
...ordered a DX20 at the same time, it came in a couple of weeks ago. It does not have the registration reminder when you turn it on.
I'm not sure about how the DX20 handles this issue, but if it does as the newer Spektrum radios does, the reminder won't appear until after a certain amount of times you turn the radio on. Please keep us posted on this.

Carlos
Old 07-29-2017, 03:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm not sure about how the DX20 handles this issue, but if it does as the newer Spektrum radios does, the reminder won't appear until after a certain amount of times you turn the radio on. Please keep us posted on this.

Carlos
Will do. So far I have set up one heli and two planes on the DX20 and set up a wireless trainer for each, plus flight setup and checkout on the heli and one of the planes. The radio has probably been turned on several dozen times and so far no message. The DX8, on the other hand, gave the same message on every turn off from the very start. It has never been turned off even once without a registration message. I took that heli and the planes home today and brought two more planes and another heli back with me. Over the next few days I'll get these set up, which should take another few dozen on/off cycles, so we'll just see how it goes.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

HH have just confirmed that all Airware transmitters have the same type of reminder, including the DX20. They all have 50 power cycles with no warning, then 205 with, then none.

As i already mentioned in previous posts, if you update the AirWare then message goes away immediately.

DX5R is the same too.

Carlos
Old 07-30-2017, 05:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Strange then that the DX8 started giving the warning from the very first power cycle. If it's supposed to start at 50 cycles the DX20 is well over half way to stating.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
HH have just confirmed that all Airware transmitters have the same type of reminder, including the DX20. They all have 50 power cycles with no warning, then 205 with, then none.
I wonder if that's new. I think it started right away on my DX9, too.

Anyway, the ultimate solution is to upgrade the firmware and forget about it. That's the best course of action to make sure any known problems have been fixed on your transmitter.

I know that process is a little intimidating if you're not a computer/tech kind of person. If you want some help or advice with that process, many here will be glad to help.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr View Post
I wonder if that's new. I think it started right away on my DX9, too.

Anyway, the ultimate solution is to upgrade the firmware and forget about it. That's the best course of action to make sure any known problems have been fixed on your transmitter.

I know that process is a little intimidating if you're not a computer/tech kind of person. If you want some help or advice with that process, many here will be glad to help.
While not being a computer whiz, I get along with them good enough to update anything I need to. Thanks anyway. I just find it aggravating that the radio does everything we need already, so we don't need to update it, and the pesky little warning is there on DX8 but not on the DX20.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in