Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 60/70/90

Thunder Tiger 60/70/90 Raptor 60/70/90 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Raptor 60 tail drive shaft

Hey all, so I've had this TT Raptor 60 FB that I bought used about a year ago. I'm just now getting around to tearing it down and rebuilding it (not tough as it's in good condition just want to get the experience of working on it myself). As I removed the tail on the raptor I spun the shaft and noticed it was far from center which possibly could lead to some nasty vibration issues in flight. I'm used to the micros at the moment where the tail shaft has to be perfect to avoid shakes etc. in flight.

So I order a new tail drive shaft as the old one is quite warped. I got the new one in yesterday and today I take it out of the package and roll it on a flat surface and noticed that the new shaft is not straight either. So here is the question, is this normal? Is this kind of warp in the drive shaft normal in that it won't cause tail shake or do I need to contact the store that I ordered it from?

Like I stated earlier, I'm used to the micros and I have a Trex 250 where the shaft has to be perfectly straight to reduce flight issues. As I've not had the bird in the air I don't know how this issue will affect it's flight. Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well I received a response on another forum and yes it needs to be straight which is what I thought but I've never worked on this model before.

So needless to say, I bought a new shaft and I get it and it's warped. I did receive store credit because now they are out of stock. I contacted HRP Dist. as they carry TT parts but wouldn't you know, they are out of stock for that shaft as well so it looks like the guy who sold me this heli gave me the shaft.

Now begins the process of trying to find a work around for this problem as it looks as though this part and others are rarer than a unicorn farting a double rainbow.

Would anyone have any suggestions? Other than the tail drive shaft the model looks to be in good shape and should have several years left of service.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

They are all warped.

Use two torque-tube bearings on the shaft. Do not space them at equal positions on the shaft.
I cannot remember the length of that shaft, but assume it is 22"
Instead of placing the bearings at 7" for each end, place 1 bearing at 8" and the other at 9".

Secure the bearings to the shaft with a smear of CA glue. Basically, wet the final location of the bearing on the shaft and then slide the bearing in place. Don't use too much CA. Don;t let the CA wick into the balls.

I flew the R60 and R90 (SE & 3D). With 2 bearings, there is no problems.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2015, 12:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go to a sporting goods store that has a lot of arrows. Take the ends off the torque tube after cutting the arrows to the correct length. That what I always did and it worked perfect.

Last edited by jazsop; 05-03-2015 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: Fix a word
jazsop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default one store claiming stock

http://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/ta...raptor-60.html
cmulder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in