Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > KDS Multirotor Support > Spy Multirotor Support

Spy Multirotor Support Spy Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sky Hero Spy or RC Timer Trooper (Clone)

I am in the planning stages of building a Y6 and have decided on a Sky Hero Spy http://www.sky-hero.com/Sky-Hero_Spy.html 600mm or the equivalent RC Timer Clone http://rctimer.com/product-1195.html. The Spy lists for $500 and the clone for $180. I'll be moving all electronics over from my DJI F550 w/ 650 arms over to the Y6. Other than power distribution, I will not be using any other functions of the PC board i.e. BEC. This will be my 8th build or major overhaul.

What I am trying to determine is the difference in customer service and perceived quality worth the extra $320? The clone seems to be pin for pin compatible, and it appears the Sky Hero spares will fit on the Trooper should I crash. I will be buying the H3-2D gimbal mount and battery tray from Sky Hero which adds another $140 dollars to the equation.

Honestly I'd rather buy from the originator, but $320 is a significant difference. I am assuming both are using parts made in China, and assembly is done by the customer.

Anyone out there that can provide an quantitative argument as to why I should spend the extra $320?
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm in the same boat. I dont support knock offs in any shape.

But when I look at the Sky Hero kits vs a normal helicopter kit for the same price I keep asking why the Sky Hero costs so much. I mean there is really nothing to it, just some carbon fiber parts and some injection molded plastic parts. No machined parts, no bearings, no complex moving parts. It really is insane what they are getting for their kits.

Hell I can get the Sky Hero stuff at dealer cost and I am still looking at the RC Timer Trooper.

Not sure what to say.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
I'm in the same boat. I dont support knock offs in any shape.

But when I look at the Sky Hero kits vs a normal helicopter kit for the same price I keep asking why the Sky Hero costs so much. I mean there is really nothing to it, just some carbon fiber parts and some injection molded plastic parts. No machined parts, no bearings, no complex moving parts. It really is insane what they are getting for their kits.

Hell I can get the Sky Hero stuff at dealer cost and I am still looking at the RC Timer Trooper.

Not sure what to say.
I agree with what your saying here!

The Sky Hero's are sweet looking and operating machines, however I feel they have completely over priced themselves out of the market.

I'm personally going to buy the clone because I'm not paying premium prices for a few pieces of carbon fiber and plastic injection molded parts that cost 3 or 4 times what they should knowing what the materials and manufacturing cost.

Multicopter frames are much more forgiving in what materials you can use and still fly and operate safely, however if your intent is to have a multicopter that can handle a few crashes, you probably shouldn't buy the clone.

As much as i'd like to support the engineering and development that went into the original, I just don't feel they are worth the price when there are so many other well enginnered multirotors that are just as good if not better for much less.

In this particular case for the price of what the crash replacement parts cost of the original, I can buy an entire whole new clone kit
Old 11-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also try to stay with originals.

My story is that I had never been interested in multicopters because of the weird designs. A friend of mine talked to me about SkyHero. It sparked interest. Somehow; I don't recall how but researching I bumped into the Trooper (SkyHero clone). Thought I'd try it for the price and ordered everything from RCTimer (frame, motors, Esc's). I'm extremely pleased. I heard that the same parts manufacturer for SkyHero manufactures for RCTimer Trooper. All parts are interchangeable. Flies like a charm.

The same buddy
otavon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in