Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Hitec Radios > Hitec Gyro/Servos

Hitec Gyro/Servos Hitec Gyro and Servo Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Closed Account

Default HS-5065MG tanked after crash?

Had a minor crash this weekend and think I two of my new 5065's got tanked. Had a good flight dialing in a 3G 450 Pro and was doing some hover testing the tail. Then it apparently went in to failsafe and started a slow prio with a slight right roll at 5' agl, and landed on its right side. Normal damage ensued (buhbye Radix blades, main shaft, main gear and FS), but one roll cyclic servo was jammed down and was not buzzing. The other two cyclics seemed to work ok. I'm pretty sure the horn jumped a spline, and it does not feel or sound buggered inside, but that one servo, and the other roll servo both have slop in the arm now. The jammed one has more than the other, but the one on the elevator has none. All three have less than 10 flights on them, so I doubt it's a normal wear issue.

So, would it be better/safer to replace both servos entirely, drop in a replacement gear set on both, or should I just fly it? I'm not too keen on the third option.

Thanks
Error401 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error401 View Post
Had a minor crash this weekend and think I two of my new 5065's got tanked. Had a good flight dialing in a 3G 450 Pro and was doing some hover testing the tail. Then it apparently went in to failsafe and started a slow prio with a slight right roll at 5' agl, and landed on its right side. Normal damage ensued (buhbye Radix blades, main shaft, main gear and FS), but one roll cyclic servo was jammed down and was not buzzing. The other two cyclics seemed to work ok. I'm pretty sure the horn jumped a spline, and it does not feel or sound buggered inside, but that one servo, and the other roll servo both have slop in the arm now. The jammed one has more than the other, but the one on the elevator has none. All three have less than 10 flights on them, so I doubt it's a normal wear issue. So, would it be better/safer to replace both servos entirely, drop in a replacement gear set on both, or should I just fly it? I'm not too keen on the third option. Thanks
A minor crash where digital servo are stalled a moment to long can do as much damage as a major crash.
Strip and check servo thoroughly, remembering to clear the grease and relubricate as
if any chips remain in exisiting grease, they can cause an unexplained jam later.

. Servo - Installation - Correct Mounting & Tips for longer life.
see picture of what can happen to servo case when servo jams - pin holes are stretched leading to slop and later jamming.
A new servo case may also be required.
. Servo - Hitec HS-65MG How To Rebuild, Replace Bearing - Pictorial & Video
. Servo - . DIY Repair - Lubrication (servo grease)
. Digital Servo - Burnout. Cause & Prevention

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)
A.T. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Closed Account
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for those links A.T. Will read up and follow advice.
Error401 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in