Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Odin and 3D+

Odin and 3D+ Compass Odin and 3D+ Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3D+ FBL Conversion?

Guys, does anybody know exactly what parts are required to convert a FB 3D+ to FBL? Would I keep things like the swash, bellcranks etc?
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Everything from the swash down can stay the same. There are lots of options.

At the minimum you'll need a swash driver and possibly new grips. I converted one using Ely.Q Vision Ultimate grips which have quite wide spacing of the grip arms and the rest of the linkage can stay the same and the geometry is good.

I feel fairly sure the stock grips could be used but it would probably require moving the links on the servo arms inward a bit to get a bit of reduction in servo travel to pitch ratio.

Alternatively you can fit an RJX head or an Outrage head and I'm sure there are others as well. (then, obviously the FBL controller of your choice).

You do need servos that are up to the task, something in the area of Align 610s / 620s or similar spec etc.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for that!

I'll look into these options.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I put a few pics up in this thread; https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=554551

I am getting a Knight 3D ready to fly and really looking forward to it. I've been flying mostly electric and FBL the last year or so and I actually had a new K3D kit about 4 years ago that I never got round to building and then I decided at the time I had too many .50 nitros so I sold the Knight. But I got a renewed interest last year when I gathered the bits to build a 600e and it was the perfect test heli for the Spartan Vortex which I wanted to try out and see if I liked it better than the Total-G.

One thing led to another and I found a mint condition K3D 2nd hand at a UK shop going really cheap.

I am going to try it first with the FB head just because I'm curious how it will fly but more than likely I'll then convert it to FBL using the head on the 600e. We'll see how it goes though because if I really like the way it flies I might keep it FB.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Years ago I had one of the original Knight Pro's (full metal). That was a brilliant machine, I was brave enough with that one to attempt my first loops and general big air stuff. Kinda miss that heli.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

6hv (v1) fbl driverless head is a bolt on fit and is what came with fbl 3d plus kits. Swash and down stays the same, it's just a headblock, grips, grip arms, and the delrin link. Feather shaft may be different from the flybar one too, not sure.
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone bolted the new delrin pitch arms onto a v1 6HV FBL head yet? I was thinking when I convert my 3D+ to FBL I would just try and bolt on the 6HVU head.

Saje Marvin - Citizen 125
Raz0rSh4rp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The original Knight head had a 6mm feathering shaft but became 8mm after a while. The sport I think kept the 6mm shaft though. The only difference was the inner diameter of the bearings, dampers, and the shaft itself. The grips stayed the same as did the head block.

The V1 fbl head will bolt right onto the K3D and give quite a bit of of boost to its performance. Almost to the point I say don't even bother with the FB head unless you're a glutton for punishment. If you don't know how to adjust for phasing then it might be an excersize in futility. That said, if you really feel froggy then you'll be able to draw your own conclusions

I'm not sure about the 6HVU head bolting on, but I would assume that it would. That swash has been around forever and it's absolutely bulletproof, so unless I'm completely wrong there shouldn't be a difference besides the beefiness of the U version.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in