Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxU...ew?usp=sharing
TimBaconHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 05:00 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxU...ew?usp=sharing
Old 05-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

The very first couple of bunny hop flights with a Pixhawk 2.1 as the flight controller. No I gain, no D gain and P gains of .06 & .09 respectively. Had to work the sticks to keep it where I wanted, but not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Got myself all worked up for nothing..... Hence the dowels through the landing gear in case it decided to flip itself.
Tim
Old 05-16-2017, 11:55 AM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBaconHeli View Post
Trying to work out what goes where..... Ultimately, i think im going to fab up a carbon mounting plate up front opposite the esc, but for now i went the easy road and stuck it to the side of the frame. Im dying to see how the Pixhawk 2.1 handles, or doesent handle the vibes of a heli.
My goal is to keep a canopy on it, just makes a happier heli......or its just my eye sight isnt what it used to be and the bright yellow and orange canopy shows up better.....

Tim
Just a heads up about the sideways mounting of the PH2. I'm pretty sure I saw on the FB group either Rob or Phillip say something about that orientation defeating part of the internal imu dampening. I would shoot Phillip a messenger to verify.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm, hadent heard that regarding the imu dampening. Ill definatly look into that further, what I do know now from testing is that vibes dont seem to be any issue whatsoever yet. Probably 10 test flights now tuning P and I gain and vibes have been quite low. Time will tell.
Tim
Old 05-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Hmm, hadent heard that regarding the imu dampening. Ill definatly look into that further, what I do know now from testing is that vibes dont seem to be any issue whatsoever yet. Probably 10 test flights now tuning P and I gain and vibes have been quite low. Time will tell.
Tim
I searched and found the conversation between Rob and Phillip. Rob posted a photo in his FB gallery of the side mount and Phillip commented that on its side the foam used to dampen the imu can sag.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Last edited by stmpngrnd; 05-21-2017 at 11:46 AM..
stmpngrnd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well,
I spoke to Phil personally and he said, "defeated wouldent be the term he would use, bur as it was designed to be used flat they have no data one way or the other". So ill use mine the way i have it and provide data. It now flies great with my use case, so ill observe and report.
Tim
Old 05-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Well,
I spoke to Phil personally and he said, "defeated wouldent be the term he would use, bur as it was designed to be used flat they have no data one way or the other". So ill use mine the way i have it and provide data. It now flies great with my use case, so ill observe and report.
Tim
Right on...thought you should at least know that there was some concern about it between the creator and the heli code dev. Good you talked to Phillip directly.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:10 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmpngrnd View Post
Right on...thought you should at least know that there was some concern about it between the creator and the heli code dev. Good you talked to Phillip directly.
Thanks, i appreciate it. This is new hardware on top of beta software on an un-tested platform... What could go wrong right? Lol. Plenty of people running 3.3 & 3.4.6 on first and second gen Pixhawks, but nothing with the new 2.1+ 3.5rc1-5 and all that brings.
So far its proving to be a good platform, and with every subsequent flight it gets better and better. I had it up today in 20mph winds and it held rock solid in stabilize, no gps or barometer. I was truly impressed. Vibes are still low and ive ran from 1100rpm-1700rpm with no issues. I have the unit mounted only with 3m foam and it seems to be okay. I dont know if its the internal imu dampening, or the smoothness of the helicopter but as i said, vibes are reading low so far and it handles great.
Tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in