Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Futaba Radios

2.4G Futaba Radios Futaba 2.4G Radio Help and support forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Spektrum DM-8 in a 9C?

Hi All,

While I am not a big fan of Futaba's FASST receivers I do love my 9c...Has anybody used a DM-8 in a 9C? I have read all the posts about latency and that does not really concern me(with my flying I doubt I could tell a difference).

I have searched all over and I have not been able to find an answer.....I would really like to know is how does a 72MHz 9C compare to a 9C with the DM-8? Is there extra latency that an average flier would notice?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
tbirg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Simple answer is no. I converted my fleet months ago and never looked back.I consider myself a average flyer and personally I can't tell the difference.
Dave
Trex 600E 3G FBL (#1) MD500E fun scale Trex 600E 3G
Trex 450 SE V2 Trex 450 SE (Night Flyer)
AMA# 50163
Hangarace is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 02:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just had a similar dilemma. I had a 9C that I really liked. I wanted to geta spektrum module for it or maybe even go to a DX-7. I didn't like the feel of the DX-7. I ended up going with a X9393 Spektrum. I couldn't believe how much quicker everything was. Very, very, noticeable. Not only was the servos quicker to respond, but, they were moving faster. It just feels more precise. And plus you don't have any of the CCPM interactions that the 9C is know for. My vote, X9303 or dx-7.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I should have mentioned I need at least an 8 channel radio. I have governors set up in my helis which I like to have a seperate on/off switch for.

On a whim I bought a 9303. I love the receiver offering Specktrum has over Futaba(see my other post in this forum). I have not used it yet but there are some things I don't like about it:

The feel of the radio in my hands. I have short fingers and the geometry of the gimbles on the JR do not mesh well with my hands. We had a guy in our club crash a giant scale plane on his first takeoff using a JR after switching from Futaba due to the difference in stick geometry. When he applied throttle to the plane he kicked in some rudder by accident and the plane was total loss. I could see myself doing something stupid like that as well.

The switch placements and the mapping of the switches. I like the way the Futaba is setup and I am used to it. I can't stand the fact that you can't put the gyro on top like the Futaba.

I know people who have switched to a DX7 say they can feel a big difference between the DX7 and the Futaba. I am not looking for that. I know how my 9c flies(defenicies and all). I am not knocking the JR/Spektrum transmitters, each radio has thier plusses and minuses. My personal preference is just Futaba so I just want a comparison between the 9c on 72Mhz and a 9c with the DM8.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i guess i'll be the odd-ball...i ordered a tm-7 for my 9chps (hopefully cured of the guid)...will be using it with the r617rs (optimized for ccpm)...like others, i hate to give up the features of my 9c (which took me forever to learn)...i really like my 6ex2.4 for flying a giant slab (definitely feel more 'connected')...hope the tm-7 works ok with my hurricane 200...ken
xrbcoronalogoflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

xrb you are not an odd ball. I have a TM7 with the older R607FS on my TRex 500. It flies great. But I do not like the idea of spending a $100 on a receiver for a park flier or having anything that big and cluncky. Plus I do not want to sit there swapping modules in and out of my radio. I know somebody who would do that all the time and eventally the solder joints came lose on the pins for the module. Needless to say it cost him a bit when he lost 2 birds beause of it.

Can somebody please correct me if I am wrong about the below:

I really do not know what a R617FS will get you when using a 9C besides spending $5 extra buvks per receiver. I know one big advantage of the Spektrum radios over the Futaba is servo grouping. They are designed for CCPM helis. I think Futaba went that way on the 2.4GHz 6EX and 2.4GHz 7C. If the radio is not sending updates for channels 1, 2 & 6 together it doen not matter how the receiver processes them. That is one the advantages of the 12FG, 12MZ and 14MZ. Depending on the type of model being flown it groups certain channels together on it's updates. They mainly did this for multiple servos on one surface. All the servos on the suface will receive the same move command at the same time.

I would love to learn how our radios work but that is for another thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in