Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nut drivers for M2, M2.5 and M3

I am a little confused with the units used for the hand tools.

I have 1.5mm, 2mm and 2.5mm he drivers.

On helicopter manual, they say M2, M2.5 and M3.

1.5mm = M2
2.0mm = M2.5
2.5mm = M3

Now I am trying to find a set of nut driver tools but it uses a different unit. Something like 5/32, 1/4...

Can someone post a link so I know what to buy? Lol
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm speculating here but if these are hex screws then 1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm are the head sizes which you should be buying drivers for.

The sizes you have listed 5/32 1/4 are imperial measurements, no use on this heli.

MIP drivers are some of the best in my research, I bought a 1.5mm one and I couldn't ask for anything better, the price is high but so is the quality.

http://www.miponline.com/store/mip9502.html

Last edited by j.harris; 04-17-2017 at 04:55 PM..
j.harris is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

"M" is the screw size. M2 is 2mm diameter, M3 is 3mm diameter, etc.

The 1.5, 2, 2.5 you see are likely the head size. A 1.5mm hex bit usually goes on a M2 screw. A M3 bolt usually has a 2.5mm hex head.
Number is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2017, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like Number beat me in, but yes...

To clarify, in the notation Mn, the "n" is always the major diameter, so M2 refers to metric screws with a diameter of 2 mm. M2 x 0.4 would be a 2mm screw with a pitch of 0.4

Where your manual is saying 1.5mm = M2, that will mean that you should be using a 1.5mm driver for the M2 screws, etc. So you have the drivers you need.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

How did I mess that up so bad i deleted my incorrect information
j.harris is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sorry for my english

I already have 1.5mm,2.0mm,2.5mm hex drivers that work. I am looking for nut drivers that hold the other end while tightening the screw.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yongary View Post
Sorry for my english

I already have 1.5mm,2.0mm,2.5mm hex drivers that work. I am looking for nut drivers that hold the other end while tightening the screw.

http://www.miponline.com/store/mipnutdrivers.html
Ace Dude is online now        Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2017, 12:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

They only have the nut drivers from 4mm-8mm. Don't I need 1.5-2.5mm nut drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dude View Post
Old 04-18-2017, 07:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm a little confused. Most of the screws on RC helis don't have a nut on the other end that need holding; they go directly into metal, plastic or CF components and you use loctite (or CA/aliphatic for plastic). The main exception on my helis are the servo balls, which are backed by a nut, and possibly the jesus bolt or a couple of head bolts. The servo nuts you can grab with pliers, and the other nuts are often recessed.

What kit are you building that needs a bunch of nut drivers to support your hex drivers?
Old 04-18-2017, 07:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer View Post
I'm a little confused. Most of the screws on RC helis don't have a nut on the other end that need holding; they go directly into metal, plastic or CF components and you use loctite (or CA/aliphatic for plastic). The main exception on my helis are the servo balls, which are backed by a nut, and possibly the jesus bolt or a couple of head bolts. The servo nuts you can grab with pliers, and the other nuts are often recessed.

What kit are you building that needs a bunch of nut drivers to support your hex drivers?
It depends on the kit. In my experience it's always best to use the proper tool for the job. I only use a pliers on a nut if it's the last resort.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dude View Post
It depends on the kit. In my experience it's always best to use the proper tool for the job. I only use a pliers on a nut if it's the last resort.
Sure, although OP wouldn't need a whole set of nut drivers for any of the kits I've seen - I admit I haven't built any of the older stuff...

But let's assume he needs several, back to the question of what size...I would expect the instructions should say, but if not, answering this..
Quote:
They only have the nut drivers from 4mm-8mm. Don't I need 1.5-2.5mm nut drivers?
No. The instructions are calling for a 1.5 mm hex driver. That is for an M2 screw, which is likely to have something like a 5 or 6 mm nut. So you would need a 5 or 6 mm nut driver for that, not a 1.5.

Again, check to see how many nuts you really have in the kit. I'm guessing not many.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer View Post
Sure, although OP wouldn't need a whole set of nut drivers for any of the kits I've seen - I admit I haven't built any of the older stuff...

But let's assume he needs several, back to the question of what size...I would expect the instructions should say, but if not, answering this..

No. The instructions are calling for a 1.5 mm hex driver. That is for an M2 screw, which is likely to have something like a 5 or 6 mm nut. So you would need a 5 or 6 mm nut driver for that, not a 1.5.

Again, check to see how many nuts you really have in the kit. I'm guessing not many.
Buying only what you need today is a valid option, but it's never worked for me. I've been in the hobby for over 20 years, have built a variety of kits, and have found having a variety of sizes on hand has severed me well over the years. Sure, I have a few sizes that don't get used often, but I like having the right tool for the job when I need it. Also, my heli tools also get used for other projects around the house so they're not just a hobby related expense.

YMMV.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

M2: driver 1.5mm, nut driver 4.0mm
M2.5: driver 2.0mm, nut driver 5.0mm
M3: driver 2.5mm, nut driver 5.5mm

This applies to common nylon lock nuts I have here. 4.5mm nut driver may be needed depending on application.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys for the feedback. 4-5.5mm nut drivers are what I needed! Building Protos 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
M2: driver 1.5mm, nut driver 4.0mm
M2.5: driver 2.0mm, nut driver 5.0mm
M3: driver 2.5mm, nut driver 5.5mm

This applies to common nylon lock nuts I have here. 4.5mm nut driver may be needed depending on application.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some of the older classics are still great helis. I love my Atom, which is currently flying on 516s.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Scorpion also makes some pretty good drivers. They have a really nice feel in the hand.

Even though the Align ones aren't as good, they are color coded which is really handy. I wish that the top line ones did that too.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was able to build Protos 500 without nut drivers but I wanted to buy the tools if there are any. I love using tools

I have been out of the hobby for a while and recently aquire Protos 500. Haven't had a maiden flight but heard good things from the expireined pilot. Looking forward to fly it.
I will try the scorpion ones and put some color tapes around the handles so that I can easily identify the sizes.

Again, thanks for the comments, guys. Is there a way to make the thread closed?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yongary View Post
Is there a way to make the thread closed?
In the red bar, under "Thread Tools"
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in