Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Rc Aerodyne turbine HH60 jayhawk

My first post in the scale section!

I have a wren 44 heli turbine in a trex 700 airframe, 3D is cool but its too risky for me when the motor costs $4,500 to replace.

I came across a steal on a new 700 size HH60 Jayhawk from scaleflying.com. Still brand new with the mechanics, 4 bladed head and tail, scale blades, all of it. Its for electric power, but i think it would be way cooler to strip the scale cockpit out and throw the turbine in.

Im not afraid of having to make my own parts, i have a mill and lathe to take care of that.

Ill have several questions as i go, but my first question is, has this ever been done before?
boogeyhillrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2016, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know but look forward to following this thread!
Bm421 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2016, 05:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

hmmm... I have not heard of one yet, but that would be really cool if you can get it done.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You would most likely have to have huge holes in the side for the exhaust and I think it would totally destroy the scale look.

More stuff than there is time to fly it.
AFjetmech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My goal is to route the exhaust up through where the stock but fake "exhaust ducts" are. If it gets to where im going to have to completely butcher the body up to make it fit, ill just re-sell the heli.

Ive emailed scaleflying.com and keep getting failed attempt messages.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your biggest problem will be heat. If you cant control the radiated heat from the exhaust you will literally melt the fuselage or discolor or burn the paint. Sounds like you want to fabricate your own exhaust. I can tell you from experience of fabricating my own turbine exhaust for my Airwolf that it was not easy or cheap. The thin wall stainless steel pipe is expensive and difficult to work with (at least it was for me - but I aint no machinist/welder/fabricator either). Just something to be aware of.

Also, not sure what the output shaft speed of the Wren is, but you will most likely have to design and fabricate your own mechanics with the proper gear ratio and incorporate a clutch as the Roban mechanics do not have a clutch.

Just about thing can be done in the scale world, just depends on how much effort/time/money you are willing to put into it.

Lot's of things to think about and plan around. Good luck if you choose to tackle the challenge, scale turbine heli's are WAY cool!!!
Old 11-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have a big chunk of 1/8" thick ceramic mat. I believe its rated for 2,300° Above and beyond what the turbine will put out. Figured id make a fitted blanket, stitched with some fiberglass string.

I have a tig welder, iron worker, pipe bender etc. exhaust will still be a pita, but exhaust sytems always are.

The output of the wren i think is 20,000 rpms. Right now one issue that i can think of is if the turbine spins opposite that the electric motor. I cant reverse it with out quite a bit of fab work.

I want to try to use the stock mechanics, ill machine a clutch bell that will accept the pinion gear. Im sure ill have to make a bearing block or 2, a motor mount, and add to the frame. Just have to wait till the airframe gets here to see for sure.

Steve, i quickly browsed through your build the other day, to say its impressive is an understatement! Whereabouts in indiana are you at? Im only 1 1/2 hours from the indiana line. Perhaps a road trip to see a scale master is in order haha.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you really want to build a Blackhawk turbine rc helicopter then you really have only one option.
http://www.formart-modellbau.de
this fuselage from Roban (sold by scaleflying.com) is just too small and all fitted for electric drive).

format's fuselage is designed for turbine and is the "appropriate size" to hold the turbine.

gh
goodhunting is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogeyhillrc View Post
Steve, i quickly browsed through your build the other day, to say its impressive is an understatement! Whereabouts in indiana are you at? Im only 1 1/2 hours from the indiana line. Perhaps a road trip to see a scale master is in order haha.
Well thank you very much for the compliment, but I am FAR from being a scale master! Just having fun trying to do the best I can. Am enjoying every minute of it. Scale totally renewed my interest in RC heli's.

I live on the far north east side of Indianapolis, about 40 minutes from downtown center of Indianapolis. Me and Airwolf will definitely be at the IRCHA scale tent if you can make your way there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in