Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 500X

Blade 500X Blade 500X Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #41 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up Steve. Looking forward to what Sean and the developers come up with!

I am enjoying the Bell 222 kit for sure, looks great both static and dynamic!
Skapr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapr1 View Post
I did ask HH sales about the cf tail blades and was told "there's nothing listed in the parts"... Is this what I need: Edge 72mm SE Premium cf tail rotor blades RVCLE72SE?

Very much appreciate your input and yes you should consider transforming the 500x (is my first "Scalie" also)!
Yes those Edge 72mm blades would work very well (and no tail grip spacers are required btw). These are the updated version of my Edge tail blades.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ades-RVCLE72SE

You may also consider the Revolution 72mm CF tail blades as well. I have not tried them but they should work fine as well.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...des-RVOT007200

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #43 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Third Hover - Port Side View.

This test hover view shows no major vibes... video 2:00 retracts up.. 3:00 down..

B500X and Bell 222 Body (4 min 15 sec)
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Great flight

It looks like you worked out all the bugs, any last words of advice before I put it up in the air for its first hover? I checked and double checked to make sure that no part of the Heli was in contact with the body, used all of the foam, all my hardware is snug.
Thanks for any input
amodemo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #45 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amodemo View Post
It looks like you worked out all the bugs, any last words of advice before I put it up in the air for its first hover? I checked and double checked to make sure that no part of the Heli was in contact with the body, used all of the foam, all my hardware is snug.
Thanks for any input
Really don't have any advise except "go for it". But seriously take your time, don't rush it and enjoy.

I still did not figure out why I had a severe case of shakes when cycling the retracts.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapr1 View Post
I still did not figure out why I had a severe case of shakes when cycling the retracts.
Not sure if you are still having this problem or not? Looked ok on your latest vid. Maybe it was just the retract mechanicals bedding in?

If you are still having problems then;

Just a wild guess but it might be due to electrical noise from the retracts. I'd probably first try adding a noise suppression lead to the retract lead just before it goes into your Rx (same thing that many escs use on the throttle lead).

If this did not help I might suspect that the in-built bec might be dropping voltage a little too much when you cycle your retracts. Disabling the inbuilt bec (remove red esc/rx lead) and adding an external bec (~10amp) would probably be the next thing I'd try.

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

What kind of radio settings is everyone using for scale flying? I have been using the book settings for the DX7s with the 500X. I was thinking about reducing rates to 75% with 20% expo and a max throttle curve of 70%.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #48 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Normal Flight Mode I'm running 60% throttle max (may increase to 70%) with 20% expo on aileron/elevator. Fow now I am not interested in idle up modes (but I will in the future for sure).
Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #49 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Not sure if you are still having this problem or not? Looked ok on your latest vid. Maybe it was just the retract mechanicals bedding in?

If you are still having problems then;

Just a wild guess but it might be due to electrical noise from the retracts. I'd probably first try adding a noise suppression lead to the retract lead just before it goes into your Rx (same thing that many escs use on the throttle lead).

If this did not help I might suspect that the in-built bec might be dropping voltage a little too much when you cycle your retracts. Disabling the inbuilt bec (remove red esc/rx lead) and adding an external bec (~10amp) would probably be the next thing I'd try.

Cheers,
TomC
Weather here sux lately so I can't get out to further explore the shake/vibe issue. You could be right about electrical noise from the retracts and/or voltage drop when cycling.

I like the idea of adding noise supression on the retract lead. Thanks TomC.

Also I am looking forward to the 222 Body Set install video from HH due out in a few weeks.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks again for the input
Old 04-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the help from everyone I took the 500X in the Bell 222 up for its first hover and all went well. I had a bit of a shake at about 50% throttle and then went right away at about 60%. I'm not sure why. During hover it was rock solid. If our wind lets up Sunday ill take it out for a real test. Again thanks to everyone for all the great input.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #52 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Today I had a chance to run a few packs thru the heli and it's awesome. We can view a thousand videos but there's no comparison to actually seeing (and hearing) it in the air! This by far is my favorite Blade product!

Once in awhile I am still experiencing the vibes/shakes in the tail section. Starting to think this is partly due to my collective management skills. I was a bit too low and did a mini pitch pump and the vibes started. Immediately landed, spooled down/up, took off and they was gone. Did this a few times to make sure of the cause. I will note that the vibes/shakes are not as pronounced as in my first and second test hover vids. Could it be possibe the 500 X and Bell 222 Body need a "break in" period?

On the build side, add a servo extension lead to the bind plug terminal on the AR7200BX and route it forward to make it alot easier to bind the heli to another tx (if needed). This way there is no need to dis-assemble.

Last edited by Skapr1; 04-24-2013 at 07:15 PM..
Old 04-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #53 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Had a slight incident today, snapped off the tail rotor blade guard (piece of wire that protects the tail rotor blades from ground strikes) snagged the darn thing when storing. Talked to HH support about purchasing the replacement and hopefully will find out in a few days what to order (no picts on the site for reference and they never get back to me about anything as promised in the past so I am not holding my breath on this one)!! Edit: HH support just got back to me .. BLH1892 Rudder Set is what I need...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...set-BLH1885#t4

Did a quick fix with some piano wire. But I did think about installing the verticle fin upside down for a quick field repair (gotta get them flights in).

Now the good news. Installed carbon fiber tail rotors (BLH1871C) and the wag is greatly reduced almost to the point where it's not noticible in-flight. Could have been a combo of adding the cf tail blades and the proper tightening of the 2 tail case screws (which mount the verticle fin).

Installing the optional light kit is ok for "night" flying but what I really want is a nice bright strobe than can be seen day & night! I'd like to turn on the strobe as a warning before spooling up ! Had comments how realistic it looks in the air and the strobe would be awesome!

Last few pics was after the field today. Notice the tire tracks on the table?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vertfin.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	415864   Click image for larger version

Name:	verfininst.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	415865   Click image for larger version

Name:	TGQF.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	415866   Click image for larger version

Name:	137442713.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	415867  

Last edited by Skapr1; 05-08-2013 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: update
Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #54 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Default B500 X Bell 222 with STROBON Light

Short video with a STROBON white light..... way better then the optional lights!

B500X Bell 222 Strobe (1 min 26 sec)
Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice Skapr1.

I like when you can see the light hit the head and main blades.

Let's see a "night mission" next
Old 05-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

like that light. were did you get it ?
pert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #57 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Here's the link where I purchased the strobe(s).. Also picked up the police one. I temp mounted the strobe using double sided tape.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...eyword=strobon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STROBONWhite.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	422196   Click image for larger version

Name:	STROBONWhite1.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	422197  
Old 05-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have the common sense rc led set but your strobe looks way better. guess I can make it work with this set thanks for the info
pert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #59 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Default Anti-Rotation Bracket/Canopy Mounts

During a recent post flight inspection I noticed the anti-rotation bracket was loose. The 222 Body Installation Manual calls for removing the canopy mounts from the heli so it would fit into the body (but they are needed to help secure the bracket).

To repair the loose bracket, I cut the canopy mounts and re-installed them. Unfortunately, to do this the heli needs to be removed from the body (at least moved forward a few inches). That means removing the rear tail case assembly.

And now the tail wag is back (had it down to a minumum)!

Hope this Thread helps someone in their "build".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	222CM.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	422519   Click image for larger version

Name:	222CM1.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	422520  
Old 05-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good call,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in