Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Henseleit

Henseleit Henseleit Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Blue connectors would be fine with me, specially when you have multi colored lipos right beside them (blue, green, yellow, black.....), an ugly maroon reddish orangish ESC (Jive) with yellow motor cables and canopies in all sorts of color combinations. Actually I use Deans so they match my Jive!!! heheheh

As always, I believe each one can have his connectors as he pleases, it's the whole point of our hobby!!!
marcosp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

You've seen Edvard's airbrushed TDR's...

There is no limit to what people will do with their time and resources if it is something they are passionate about.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, and absolutely!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

So, besides the colour, are we to assume the most popular connectors for 6S packs are EC5's?
TDRx2, Synergy N7/E7se/N5cTT, Align 450L/550/700e/700n, Gaui NX7/NX4, , Goblin 700/Black Nitro, Futaba 18MZ/ V-Control All on V-Bar's and S-Bus. #0095
rctintin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
You've seen Edvard's airbrushed TDR's...

There is no limit to what people will do with their time and resources if it is something they are passionate about.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A side note to use dye.... When I dyed the pieces for my RC cars, I didn't keep them boiling the whole time.... In fact, I've seen plenty of articles that state, get the water to boiling, add dye, add parts (remember to tie a string, or use something that can easily be pulled out, or your hand is going to be black), and let the parts sit for however long you want. Longer = darker color... but, I've never continued to boil them....

Good luck...

I still use Dean's BTW....

Joe_Breezy
Diablo, Shape 9.0, Goblin 700 & 380, Sylphide 90, Srimok 90N x2, Srimok 90E, Dune, Vibe 90SG, TDR, E-Aurora, Logo 600SE & 500SE, T600 ESP, T600NSP, Synergy E6 & E5, Warp 360, Gaui NX4 & X4,T500, T450 Pro FBL, 180CFX and 130x
Breezyjr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezyjr View Post
Edvard R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Joe_Breezy
Joe

I stopped using Deans the day I inadvertently folded back the spring plate on one of the pins of the male plug and ended up with a short between the two pins. The spring plate vaporised, the burns on my fingers took a while to heal and it was several minutes before I could see properly again.

And that was only with 6S on a 20C battery. Try it with 12S/65C and see what happens!

Don't think it can't happen to you!
Mehari is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am usually not one to be critical of other's choices, but on a scale from zero to suck, Deans positively blows.

EC5 FTW.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:44 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have now bought 20 pairs of EC5's and some black rit dye.

Guess I have alot of soldering to do now!!
TDRx2, Synergy N7/E7se/N5cTT, Align 450L/550/700e/700n, Gaui NX7/NX4, , Goblin 700/Black Nitro, Futaba 18MZ/ V-Control All on V-Bar's and S-Bus. #0095
rctintin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 04:16 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I resisted a long time, in the end i gave in and love the EC5, they work really well!
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've yet to figure out the problem with Dean's???

Seems there are lots of folks out there still using them, and even some of the pros...

While I see the EC5s, may be easier to use, less spark and such, I'm not sure it warrants swapping the connectors on ALL the 12s heli's I have... (see sig) That would be, probably a total of 15 connectors to swap out, PLUS the series connectors....

Can the deans "really" be that bad? I seem to remember seeing some info regarding resistance through different connectors, and I seem to recall the deans was on par with the rest of the best.....

I only buy the quality deans, not the "fake" ones, that are cheap, and things like the spring come apart....
So, I guess if you can give me a solid answer, besides, "it is better." then I'd consider swapping, but right now, I don't see the advantage...

Joe_Breezy
Diablo, Shape 9.0, Goblin 700 & 380, Sylphide 90, Srimok 90N x2, Srimok 90E, Dune, Vibe 90SG, TDR, E-Aurora, Logo 600SE & 500SE, T600 ESP, T600NSP, Synergy E6 & E5, Warp 360, Gaui NX4 & X4,T500, T450 Pro FBL, 180CFX and 130x
Old 11-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So, I guess if you can give me a solid answer, besides, "it is better." then I'd consider swapping, but right now, I don't see the advantage...
Well, if it works for you, I wouldn't bother. However, the EC5 are quite a bit bigger (easier to grasp, connect&disconnect, easier to solder too), the male plugs (pins) are also completely covered, thus making any sort of inadvertent short impossible for all practical purposes. Also, the longer pins make much more positive contact and are not very likely to shake loose by themselves.

Given the cost of your fleet, the cost of replacing the connectors (even on all packs and links) is negligible. And if you can solder a Deans, replacing them with EC5s will be a breeze (pun unintended). It may give you an excuse to tinker with something when you don't have any other tinkering to do.

Cheers,
Rok

Last edited by Impunitus; 11-04-2011 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: ETA
Impunitus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I will consider it as I have been for awhile now... Just the thought of soldering all those connectors again.... ugh...

But, it has been something it the back of my head for awhile... the only thing keeping me from switching over, has been the work involved in switching them all out...

thanks for the input,
Joe_Breezy

Wow... just looked it up... ExperienceRC has them listed at $8 a set.... Yikes, that's going to be expensive.... unless someone knows where the can be bought in bulk...???
Old 11-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you don't mind ordering from China they are a LOT cheaper over there.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Can the deans "really" be that bad?
Yes.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I've yet to figure out the problem with Dean's???

Seems there are lots of folks out there still using them, and even some of the pros...

While I see the EC5s, may be easier to use, less spark and such, I'm not sure it warrants swapping the connectors on ALL the 12s heli's I have... (see sig) That would be, probably a total of 15 connectors to swap out, PLUS the series connectors....

Can the deans "really" be that bad? I seem to remember seeing some info regarding resistance through different connectors, and I seem to recall the deans was on par with the rest of the best.....

I only buy the quality deans, not the "fake" ones, that are cheap, and things like the spring come apart....

Joe_Breezy
Joe, I used to have Deans Ultra plugs on all my helis when I started out in this hobby -- just because the LHS told me that they were "best" and I didn't know any better at the time.

Here are some answers for you:

• Continuous current rating
  • EC5s:
    • are a LOT easier to solder -- you put the bullet into the plastic housing after you've soldered it onto the wire... I've melted a few Deans during the soldering process because I left the iron in contact with the metal blade 1 second too long. That can't happen with the EC5s.
    • are a LOT easier to grip, so they're easier to connect *and* remove (even though the "grip" when the male & female are connected is much stronger than Deans)
    • No exposed metal contacts
    • Spark (when connecting packs) is much smaller than on Deans -- and it happens inside the plastic housing. This isn't a trivial matter, since eventually the Deans contacts will become pitted and damaged from the sparks... and you eventually have to put new ones on again.
Also, my "series connectors" are directly on my ESC: one connector for each pack, and a jumper wire connecting them. No need to make up a bunch of the "Y" connectors and you never have to worry about forgetting to bring that Y connector to the field.

Quote:
I will consider it as I have been for awhile now... Just the thought of soldering all those connectors again.... ugh...

But, it has been something it the back of my head for awhile... the only thing keeping me from switching over, has been the work involved in switching them all out...
---
Wow... just looked it up... ExperienceRC has them listed at $8 a set.... Yikes, that's going to be expensive.... unless someone knows where the can be bought in bulk...???
I had to swap out the connectors for at least 26 packs. No need to do all of your packs at once, but you'll find that it's a lot less work that you think. When you're done, you'll be a lot happier that you don't have those sorry Deans connectors any more. (And you'll be a soldering pro!)

Here's your shopping list:

EC5 - 1 pair: $1.06 (It might be a few cents more if you don't sign in)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9194
I put 50 of them in my cart; even with the $31.63 EMS shipping (total was $88.00) that comes out to $1.76 each pair. BTW, you can use them for motor/ESC bullets too. If you have a monster motor, just solder the motor wires directly to the ESC.

Helping Hands gadget: $3.19 if you have a Harbor Freight near you. Otherwise you have to pay a few bucks for shipping.
http://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-319.html

The Jigs Up soldering jig: $21.95 - nice to have
http://helidirect.com/the-jigs-up-so...nt-p-23474.hdx

Or... just get a block of wood (end of a 2x4), drill some ~5mm holes about 15 mm deep to hold the bullets straight up, stick a few bullets in the holes, and solder away.

Trust us Joe. We wouldn't steer you wrong.

Last edited by ElectricSheep; 11-04-2011 at 05:18 PM..
ElectricSheep is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've never had a problem with Deans. Male plugs go on the ESC or charger, not the lipos so no problem with that. I use heat shrink over the plug and that makes unplugging a non existent problem. I just noticed barely warm connectors after hard flights on 700E helis. Besides that I don't find a need to change. Same as Breeze, the thought of re soldering 20+ lipos + 6 ESC's (some in series) + all charger connectors (some with 6 parallel connectors) is just daunting for a problem I don't have.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have to agree with Gerry, I have switched to EC5 and glad I did.
Plus, such a fleet listing and "expensive connector" don't get along well in the same sentence
HeliBenj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can get cheap EC5 paralel cable or boards from progressive RC or HK too.
In fact that's were it shines, paralel deans cable can get ugly if you forget to use rhe little protectors and have on or more pack plugged. Can't happen with ec5 paralel cable
HeliBenj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in