Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Other R/C Flight Simulators

Other R/C Flight Simulators Other R/C Flight Simulators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Helisim: New free simulator

I would like to announce the offering of HeliSim: a new free simulator for RC electric helicopters.

I wrote this simulator, mainly to fill the needs of new RC heli pilots. I genuinely believe it to be substantially better than FMS for helicopters, especially 450 electrics. I hope it offers new fliers a simulator that will provide good training, and save them a bundle of money compared to the commercial sims(to be spent on batteries or parts, obviously).

If you already have a commercial sim, you have less motivation to get it. But you may still want to so everyone has a common simulator. It can then be used to exchange flight recordings! One thing it offers that I hope will be useful for learning new maneuvers, is a visual indication of stick positions during record/playback. So you can watch what the heli is doing, and simultaneously see the stick positions that caused it!

Anyway, its available for download now.

http://www.marksfiles.net/HeliSim/index.htm

This simulator is in basically final form, but if there is consensus among experts that something needs to be tweaked to achieve more realism… I am open to feedback, and will do my best to improve it.

I hope you enjoy it!
Trex 450 Vx FBL, Scorpion 2221-10, RJX head, mini-V, Ice 50

Last edited by rdlohr; 05-05-2008 at 11:39 AM..
markb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello, I just tried to run it but I get the helicopter just sits there with two red dots in the top left and right corners with the HeliSim process taking up 98% of the system usage. I have a P4 2.66 GHz / 1 Gb ram system & can run clearview without problems.

Is there any chance that it may be ported to linux in the future?

Last edited by babstar; 12-11-2007 at 03:26 AM..
babstar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

The left red dot indicates Idle up is on. The right red dot indicates Throttle hold is on. It wont move till you get throttle hold turned off.

Its normal to use up the whole system. It refreshes the video as fast as possible, as soon as one paint is done, it starts on the next.

It may work on linux under Wine. It uses OpenGL, so it doesnt need a directlX api.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Mark, It all works now. It does run under wine, although the menu bar is corrupted (pull down menu's are still usable). I cannot comment on the realism factor, as I have no real world experience!
babstar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2007, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Can someone please direct me to a place where I can buy a round futaba sim cable? I would prefer a cheap one but show me what you have.
Wii1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2007, 07:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wii1 View Post
Can someone please direct me to a place where I can buy a round futaba sim cable? I would prefer a cheap one but show me what you have.
Google something like: USB simulator FMS cable
You'll find a bunch. Anything that allows the tx to appear as a windows game controller should work.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

HI.
I just tried the sim, and it looks very good. However, i can't use it since I just can't find any settings for the elevator(radio). It's hard enough to fly a helicopter even with elevator control;-)

Any suggestions on what I'm missing?
bergaliv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Joystick->Mapping on the main menu.
The second row of settings is "Pitch Cyclic".
I'm an old plane flier, and couldn't bear to put "Elevator" on there as the label... but it's what you want.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks mate. I'll try it asap

Btw, have you considered GPL license on the software, so we all can pitch in whatever we can?
My biggest concern with FMS was that it was(is) closed source, and development stalled because of it.
bergaliv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tried it on Vista and it's runs fine.

Not much heli experience so can't tell if the sim is right. But i do have a question about the Sim. Is there coming sound in the Sim so you can hear the motor and the motor RPM going up and down when throttle stick is moved?
Pasquald is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default V1 and now?

Wow! Great initiative.

I have some questions though:
  • Will the source ever become available? I would love to help you out to improve this further. And I sincerely hope your sim won't become a deserted project like FMS.
  • If not: wil you be able to port this to linux/ osX or is this app tightly coupled to DirectX?
  • What flight model have you used?
Did I already say great job? No? Respect!
jvthert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2007, 08:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mark,

I downloaded it yesterday, I first played with it with my joystick and felt that it was worthy of trying to get my DX-6/7 to work with it. I downloaded the PPJOY software and after a lot of work I finally got it to work. I am sure the USB from Milehighwings.com would be better, but it is good enough for now. You saved me $70 that I was going to spend on a G2as that is all my current laptop can handle.

I learned to fly my T-Rex 600 without much sim time. I am finally comfortable with forward flight and a loop or two. The two times I tried inverted I crashed. So far your sim has already helped me. I need more sim time but am confident that I will get there.

So long story short, thanks for a great free product, that to me, is far superior to FMS
drewjet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvthert View Post
Wow! Great initiative.

I have some questions though:
  • Will the source ever become available? I would love to help you out to improve this further. And I sincerely hope your sim won't become a deserted project like FMS.
  • If not: wil you be able to port this to linux/ osX or is this app tightly coupled to DirectX?
  • What flight model have you used?
Did I already say great job? No? Respect!
Its not going to be open source for maybe a year. But I can assure you that it will not become an abandoned project. When I get tired of maintaining it, I will in all likelihood release the source code to public domain. Even broader license than GPL. Its OpenGL, so it will port well. It already runs on linux/wine and mac/parallels. The flight model is my own development. I'm a control systems engineer in real life...

I'm working on sound. Its a ways off though. Not as easy as one might guess.

Thanks for all the compliments. Its been well received on the Trex 450 forum too...
Old 12-26-2007, 05:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great app, it has come in very handy. I'm only a newbie to RC heli's and I'm scared out of my mind everytime I start the thing up, your sim seems to be giving me the confidence I need.

Thanks!!
Bolders is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Need some assistance with my crappy transmitter...

It's the radio that came with my falcon 3-d

I'm using the microphone cable.. not USB

I have Smart PropoPlus running and it works with FMS but there is no joystick detected with your program.

Thanks for the help,
Jonathan
poor_red_neck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Excellent simulator! Great work, it flies very realistic. The default model is very close to my 450SE, and the tuning options are easy to use and understand. I would like to add a few comments, because I'm guessing (hoping) you are looking for feedback.

Canopy color option would be nice. Blue and white is hard to see in the sky (also blue-white).

I did notice the hotkeys are still live when a dialog box is open. If you do a 'save as' and try to type a name with an 'r' in it, the record toolbar pops up...

The video is a little steppy on my system (P4 2.8G with a cheap video acc card), but perfectly usable.

Again you did an awesome job on this. I'm still working on all the adjustment to tweak to see how close I can get it to the real thing.
okcrawler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Poor_red_neck,

You need to get the other version of Propo, and PPjoy. Follow the setup guide on Propo's site and then fiddle with the mapping in the sim's menu. It's how I'm using it with the stock CX2 trans.

-Paul
tha3rdman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

I'm using a Dx7 with the FMS usb cable but can't seem to get the controls to work at all. it's works with FMS and phoenix but I wanted to try this program but can't figure it out. Does anyone have the Dx7 or PC settings to use with this sim..?
bpd964 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Made a canopy design. Just copy in the helisim/canopies directory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pasqual.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	35094  
Pasquald is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

I just got your sim working. It looks great. I'm a total newb so I was wondering if anyone can tell me how this compares to Phoenix. Also it seems that I can drop the heli much harder while landing in this sim compared to FMS. For all the flyers out there is Helisim more accurate in this reguard?

Mark,
Having made a few video games I would recommend the SDL lib or OpenAL for sound.
jovian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in