Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 03:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Fields in socal

hi there,

next week I am going to travel to socal on business. Will have some time over the weekend and considering visiting a field (just to watch you guys ).

Anything interesting in Orange county (Anaheim area) or at the coast from LA down to San Diego?

Thanks a lot for any help!

So long, Stefan

Last edited by fulcrum2; 04-18-2013 at 01:51 PM..
fulcrum2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't live there, but I do know there is a field or two in Orange County. There is also a field in Fallbrook towards San Diego. That is where the helifreak fun fly used to be.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

On the outer perimeter of Long Beach is El Dorado park. I havent been there since I was a kid, but I remember it being enormous. It think its $6-$8 entry depending on the day. I would definitely check that out.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are they still flying in Arbor Park (Los Alamitos)?
Old 04-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Yes, they do fly @ Arbor Park. Dan, a fellow HF member who lives in the area just mentioned this place to me...
Old 04-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum2 View Post
Hey guys,

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Yes, they do fly @ Arbor Park. Dan, a fellow HF member who lives in the area just mentioned this place to me...
Good to know, as I'll probably take my 500E there once I'm comfortable flying in public. So far only my dachshund has witnessed my hovering practice (and he's still laughing)

Anyone have a field in Torrance?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

well I know about two, one is a little north and the other is a little east. In the San Fernando Valley near the intersection of 101 and 405 there is a flying facility in the Balboa basin park. Then, to the east is Whittier Narrows. Both have heli specific areas and are public.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

30 mins to 40 mins away a bunch of us fly on 7th street in Ontario. PM me for directions if you are interested. We only fly on weekends.

Mickey
mickeyjohnston is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lot's of options

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm in the area and besides the locations already mentioned we've got a few other "official" and "unofficial" locations. We've got an interesting but small and sometimes windy hilltop area we fly at called Kite Hill. It's part of a regional park. The views are nice and the flying over the hill and valleys are certainly different than flying on flat ground. It's open all day, open to all electrics/gliders and no AMA required.

There is the old military base in Irvine that's slowly being converted to the OC Great Park. I haven't been there but they do have a model airport that's pretty active. You have to be AMA and I'm not sure if you can be a guest or have to join.

Some club fields in the Limestone Canyon/Irvine Lake area and Trabuco Canyon area but probably require AMA and membership. Trabuco Canyon has a nice field and I think you can visit on the weekends, not sure about guest flying.

Unfortunately I'll be traveling out of the area next week or I'd try to join you. Enjoy your visit...

T-REX 500 EFL w/SK720, T-REX 250 Pro DFC w/3GX, B400 - FBL with Tarot head, SK720, HiTec digital mg cyclics, boom mount JR DS3500G and T-REX 500 skids, mCPX, UM Planks
Tinker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know of one, but is a bit East and up the hill in Hesperia. They are a good club and have a separate area for heli's. I am sure it would be out of your way, but thought I would mention it.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Tinker

@Solmanbandit:

You mentioned "Fallbrook". Is this the one close to Marine Corps Base Camp Pendelton?
I would love to drive down to San Diego and watch the full scale jets on the final approach to Coronado NAS. So it could work out as a "combo deal"

OT: Managed to snatch one of the last tickets for the Ducks game on April 27th. So Honda center goes on my list as well. This is going to be a busy weekend...
One more: As I race 1/8th nitro on-road cars as well, I might also visit a rc race track.

Looks like morning roll call has to be @ 0500hrs
Old 04-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
well I know about two, one is a little north and the other is a little east. In the San Fernando Valley near the intersection of 101 and 405 there is a flying facility in the Balboa basin park. Then, to the east is Whittier Narrows. Both have heli specific areas and are public.
Here's a link to this field

http://goo.gl/maps/IlS3F

I usually fly there. It's got lots of parking, paved areas for helis and there's a hobby shop 5 minutes away.
MyRCode is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in