Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FBL systems with DS16

So I have recently had an overhaul to my R/C setups. I switched from JR to Jeti and am looking for guidance on the plusses and minuses to the various FBL setups available. I am not really experienced in setups and such. I am currently flying a Trex 600EFL with a BeastX. Love the setup but looking for input on which direction I should go with the Jeti.

I am looking at buying a Goblin 700 with an original Ikon ready for RX. The guy selling it is also an Ikon dealer and could swap the original Ikon for a 2. But I am curious how it compares to a Vbar or a Spirit in regard to Jeti integration.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
IFlyEm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

spirit and ikon/brain integrate with jeti.
vbar integrates with vcontrol.
etherbatxx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Spartan vortex also integrates with Jeti.
TORCHS member, AMA 64878, Citizen 690
Mattinfla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherbatxx View Post
spirit and ikon/brain integrate with jeti.
vbar integrates with vcontrol.
And just to be clear. The iKon 2 and the Brain 2 are exactly the same aside of the case?
IFlyEm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2017, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have Skookums, 3 Spirit Pros, 3 Brain2's & an Eznov. Skook was by far the best a few years ago but they stopped supporting it. Spirit & Brain are two top choices as far as my experience goes. Eznov worked, and its rescue worked too, but they may be off in quadland these days. I don't think you can go too wrong with any of the jeti integrated systems.

Telemetry integration is a slight bit more straightforward in Brain2--Spirit routes the telemetry into the sat port so an adapter cable is needed. Brain2 routes into a standard servo port. Both have great software and great support. I can't pick a favorite of those two. Bavarian Demon can't be counted out, but I have no experience there.

Brain vs Ikon is just color/name difference. There is a brain V2 that is not the latest one if you're going to buy used.

edit: One thing that may influence your decision is your application. Brain2 has units that have end plugs, Spirit/Spirit Pro has top plugs only. There's a new Spirit micro but I think it has top plugs as well. Spirit also has an aircraft software that their units can be programmed to use. So many choices, so few helis/planes.

Dan

Last edited by dogbreath; 05-09-2017 at 09:00 PM..
dogbreath is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 01:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You choice if you want Jeti integration and the ability to tune from the radio is Spartan Vortex, MSH brain or Spirit.

All three fly well, and all have their advantages.

Myself, I fly Spartan, I think they have the clearest software and easiest setup. The other two have good software with a wizard, but neither guides you through the setup quite as well as the Spartan.

You can download the Spartan Studio software to take a look, it has a full demo mode, and I think the others have the same.

In terms of features, there are some differences. Spartan's philosophy is slow & steady, it's a rock solid reliable unit, manufacturing faults are almost unheard of, and the software just works. However it doesn't have all the features of the Brain and Spirit.

The Brain and Spirit are evolving rapidly, they both have self level and rescue features, MSH also have ESC integration for logging and telemetry (although Spirit are now working to add the same).

One thing I'm not keen on with the Brain is because they are innovating so rapidly there are a lot of updates, and the software auto updates. I'm not keen on making that many firmware updates to a heli that's flying well, it's additional risk that I just don't want.

All three have excellent support from the manufacturers here on Helifreak.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 01:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you don't want to update just launch the app in airplane mode. It's one click in windows. Then you can keep the same firmware for 2-3 years. ;-)
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 05:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
If you don't want to update just launch the app in airplane mode. It's one click in windows. Then you can keep the same firmware for 2-3 years. ;-)
You mean with no internet connection to your PC, not an app feature right?

I get that there's a workaround, and I understand the app and units need to be kept in sync, I'd just rather chose when that update happens.

Incidentally I do like that the app manages the firmware updates for you, that part of it is very neat.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
You mean with no internet connection to your PC, not an app feature right?

I get that there's a workaround, and I understand the app and units need to be kept in sync, I'd just rather chose when that update happens.

Incidentally I do like that the app manages the firmware updates for you, that part of it is very neat.
In windows 10 it's a single button like a cell phone on the desktop. It couldn't be easier. If you don't want new features or want to hold off updates this works fine.

Normally we don't have updates more often than 4-5 months. But recently we released major new features so we had more frequent updates. So we are quite steady with a very lengthy beta test period. The next major release has been in test months already.

Next release has graupner integration, and nitro gov enhancements. As well as improvements to the wizard.

Last edited by OnTheSnap; 05-10-2017 at 09:36 AM..
Old 05-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I believe 3-Digi also integrates with Jeti.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bavarian Demon Axon and Cortex Pro now integrate with jeti. They shortly will also have Bluetooth. Awesome fbl system with great tail control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
pierredelica is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have any experience with the Spartan, 3digi, or Bavarian Demon, but I do know they have Jeti support.

I'm most familiar with Ikon/Brain (yes they are the same) and Spirit.

Both work great, both have telemetry, both have governors, both have good rescue, both are getting free updates, you can't go wrong with either.

As for the differences:

Brain pros:
More flexible software (you can directly edit PID values) and you don't have to click save for everything.
The governor seems to work better.

Spirit pros:
Wifi module. It's a lot nicer than the bluetooth setup as anything with wifi and a browser can configure your heli.
Mac software that works with usb or wifi.
Aluminum case
You aren't forced to update or work around the auto updater.

All that said, I would skip past a goblin and order a protos 700, and it comes with a brain2, so I would just use that.

schu
Old 05-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by akschu View Post
Brain pros:
More flexible software (you can directly edit PID values)
That's a pro for the Spirit in my book. Cyclic gain and elevator filter are all you need to dial in the cyclic. I have no idea how to tune cyclic I-gain and with the Spirit I don't need to.

For the rudder you still adjust PID values, but they've been named based on their effect.
jarhart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh, just noticed the original poster was talking about a used goblin 700 with an ikon. In that case you need to either give him extra to swap out for an ikon 2 or purchase the heli without a FBL controller and buy one yourself.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhart View Post
That's a pro for the Spirit in my book. Cyclic gain and elevator filter are all you need to dial in the cyclic. I have no idea how to tune cyclic I-gain and with the Spirit I don't need to.

For the rudder you still adjust PID values, but they've been named based on their effect.
I guess it depends on what/how you fly. For cyclic I like to tune the feel (natural/robotic), cyclic speed in deg/s, clean up stops on elevator (your system just renames elevator D gain "elevator filter"), and occasionally mess with stuff like feed forward for more precision control of how cyclic starts etc.

Really simple. If you're not picky, only thing you need to adjust on Brain is cyclic gain. Rest the defaults are 99% there. If you want to adjust elevator stops more than the default, you tweak elevator D gain, instead of "elevator filter".

All the parameters have really nice pop up bubbles that tell you exactly what they do.

Really don't think anything has been simplified to get the same results. Yet if you want the last 5% how do you get it if they don't give access?

My 2c.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FBL systems with DS16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhart View Post
I have no idea how to tune cyclic I-gain and with the Spirit I don't need to
it would be inaccurate to suggest you need to to adjust cyclic-I gain to fly Brain/Ikon. it flies well right out of the box.

and it's nice to know you at least have that option and flexibility if you want to tweak something.

a choice is not a negative.
etherbatxx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in